Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW ID.3 beats Tesla model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very surprising that folks are buying ID.3 based on this comparison. I'm guessing that dealers are discounting from these prices? While Tesla does NOT discount, I can understand that some would be interested in a cheaper car, which has about the same range, much less acceleration and cargo space.

How long could that last? I'd guess not long as Tesla will start lowering prices with improvements to manufacturing, supply chain, vehicle components...etc

I'd guess VW sells 50k ID.3's world wide in 2021 (unless heavily discounted) as they sold 56k in 2020.
I remember discussion on this. The ID.3 is compact hatch. The Model 3 is a sedan and a bit longer. I think the ID.3 body style simply is a far better fit for the European market. I think Model Y (although it's a bit bigger) might do better than Model 3 (due to the hatch).

For similar reasons (but on the flip side), VW isn't even bothering to launch ID.3 here in the USA, they will just launch ID.4 here.

Also add the fact that it's likely pent up early orders (Tesla experiences similar), but this goes either way (limited initial production also has to be balanced). As with most cars, you don't get the full picture until it's at least on the market a few years, then you'll see the steady state volume.

WOW its groundhog day. The ID.3 is what I call a "kinda car". It does have 4 tires.
Its not sold in the US because of range and speed. In Europe you have the same
issue and there are lots of cars like that. I dont know who said it but its a Leaf.

WOW lockdown bar is closed, what is the question

Very surprising that folks are buying ID.3 based on this comparison. I'm guessing that dealers are discounting from these prices? While Tesla does NOT discount, I can understand that some would be interested in a cheaper car, which has about the same range, much less acceleration and cargo space.

How long could that last? I'd guess not long as Tesla will start lowering prices with improvements to manufacturing, supply chain, vehicle components...etc

I'd guess VW sells 50k ID.3's world wide in 2021 (unless heavily discounted) as they sold 56k in 2020.

As to cargo space, the id.3 is a hatchback. You can load cargo up to the roof. That's much more than you can squeeze into the M3's boot.

The only reason you would even compare these 2 cars is on the basis of both being EVs and there are no other truly comparable cars to choose. Nobody in their right mind would review a BMW 3 series directly against a VW Golf. Unless those happened to be the only ICE cars on the planet and one of them had dominated the market for a couple of years.