Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW ID.3 beats Tesla model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How could one of my posts go off the rails ?
How can I attract VW fans on a Tesla forum ?
Yes the model 3 does not have the dual beer keg coolers
for the back seat yet but come on.
ZOE 24K 52kwh new
Leaf 30K for 60kwh new

For bottom readers only :
ID3 problems are well documented, fit and finish and software from the DOS age.
Sorry I could not find any reviews about having sex in an ID3.
I am starting to think that 2 year ownership of an old leaf should be a requirement
to post here.

Your post interested me because I am in the process of possibly buying a M3 or ID based car and sizing up what I see as a rival in a lot of areas I enjoy about a car. Both would def benefit from a beer keg cooler retro fit. The Leaf and Zoe I have tested and no not in the same league especially without active cooling I would not touch. While the software did not seem like DOS to me I think the Tesla does much better with charging point management. Both cars apps are just as capable. As for sex well if you are not flexible enough for the back of both cars then I recommend the gym. I am actually a Tesla fanboy shaped by recent experiences and looking for a better one.

So maybe for healthy debate what would I take from an ID 3 / 4 and put in the model 3.

1. No uneven panel gaps, fit and finish quality matched at pickup of car.
2. LED Matrix lights
3. Noise inside is much quieter and I mean massive difference which is soul of an EV because of no engine noise.
4. HUD. I wished so bad the 3 has some kind of HUD for its front window at the very least.
5. LED accent lights.
6. Not finished yet but when added the augmented reality road overlay from sat nav integration.

So what do I wish the ID had from the 3?

1. Better integrated charging planner visually. Though not ran an ID low so no idea how that handles.
2. Opt in beta platform to test new features if you wish.
4. More competitive charging rates on the road.
5. Elons Blessing. Oh wait he has driven one!

Your post interested me because I am in the process of possibly buying a M3 or ID based car and sizing up what I see as a rival in a lot of areas I enjoy about a car. Both would def benefit from a beer keg cooler retro fit. The Leaf and Zoe I have tested and no not in the same league especially without active cooling I would not touch. While the software did not seem like DOS to me I think the Tesla does much better with charging point management. Both cars apps are just as capable. As for sex well if you are not flexible enough for the back of both cars then I recommend the gym. I am actually a Tesla fanboy shaped by recent experiences and looking for a better one.

So maybe for healthy debate what would I take from an ID 3 / 4 and put in the model 3.

1. No uneven panel gaps, fit and finish quality matched at pickup of car.
2. LED Matrix lights
3. Noise inside is much quieter and I mean massive difference which is soul of an EV because of no engine noise.
4. HUD. I wished so bad the 3 has some kind of HUD for its front window at the very least.
5. LED accent lights.
6. Not finished yet but when added the augmented reality road overlay from sat nav integration.

So what do I wish the ID had from the 3?

1. Better integrated charging planner visually. Though not ran an ID low so no idea how that handles.
2. Opt in beta platform to test new features if you wish.
4. More competitive charging rates on the road.
5. Elons Blessing. Oh wait he has driven one!

Please buy a VW. PLEASE.
Is there anything I can do to help you move along your decision !!!
In the mean-time; you can warm up on your future activities with these videos from VW’s affiliates. :

• Love
Reactions: Phlier
Not sure why you keep bringing up the Leaf. The ID.3 has significantly more power (over 200 HP) and range, particularly compared to the first generation Leaf.

I have lived in Germany for years. Most people drive 130-150 km/h on the Autobahn, The ID.3 will do perfectly fine. Very few people drive at sustained high speed in a Tesla or other EV because it kills range.

And not only that, why would one worry about having cars running up at 200 kmh? because if you're doing 130kmh, you're not supposed to be camping on the passing lane.

There are, at any time, a million of diesel polos, golfs, fiestas, 116d, clios, on the autobahn. The notion that having just 150hp is too dangerous due to insufficiency, is asinine.

Bjorn Nyland tested the ~ 60 kWh battery ID.3 and managed ~ 170 miles using the entire battery on a drive in temperate weather at 70 mph (113 kph).

At 12:50

I think about it this way:
Bottom 10% of battery is reserve
Top 20% of battery is too slow for on road charging outside of meals
Winter is a 20% hit

So the 4-season DCFC hopping range is 170*0.7*0.8 = 95 miles. That is most certainly not going to satisfy the lion's share of American EV consumers looking for an all purpose EV and I also doubt it for Europeans unless they are willing to compromise to buy an EV. For comparison, the Tesla Model 3 LR 4-season DCFC hopping range using the same calc is 144 miles.

I doubt this is news to VW, so why the 3/4 vehicle ? I suspect one or more of the following:
  • Limited battery supply
  • Larger battery too expensive to meet reasonable range AND desired market entry price point
  • Inability to make EV that is efficient enough to reach reasonable range at price point
And so another 'Tesla killer' bites the dust. VW must have loved the GF Berlin and Battery day news.

Last edited:
Bjorn Nyland tested the ~ 60 kWh battery ID.3 and managed ~ 170 miles using the entire battery on a drive in temperate weather at 70 mph (113 kph).

At 12:50

I think about it this way:
Bottom 10% of battery is reserve
Top 20% of battery is too slow for on road charging
Winter is a 20% hit

So the all-season DCFC hopping range is 170*0.7*0.8 = 95 miles. That is most certainly not going to satisfy the lion's share of American EV consumers looking for an all purpose EV and I also doubt it for Europeans unless they are willing to compromise to buy an EV.

I doubt this is news to VW, so why the 3/4 vehicle ? I suspect one or more of the following:
  • Limited battery supply
  • Larger battery too expensive to meet reasonable range AND desired market entry price point
  • Inability to make EV that is efficient enough to reach reasonable range at price point
And so another 'Tesla killer' bites the dust. VW must have loved the GF Berlin and Battery day news.

So as a model 3 SR+ 2019 owner winter range is 160-170 miles down from 240. At 11.5C like that car is tested in you need the heater on. Thus it actually right bang on with the under reporting from the VW. So in terms of where the cars are at its there with efficiency. Shame the VW is not more aggressive with its regen I suspect one pedal driving on it would go very well.

Once again great review by Bjorn

I am embarrassing myself?

Well, yes. You keep denying facts, even after being shown multiple sources proving them- and then keep making claims about VWs cars that even VW themselves say are untrue and have been given sources showing that too but keep stickning by them.

Most would be embarrassed to be repeatedly caught doing that.

I
Let me put this a little clearer for you so you might understand. The car they provide as you sit in the showroom and the software they have works just fine.

In the sense they removed all the broken stuff before you showed up- sure.

That doesn't mean there's not missing stuff that's still broken- they just didn't leave it on the car for you to notice it was broken (if you notice it's MISSING ENTIRELY will vary I guess)

None of which changes the FACTS that:

The launch was delayed by months (which you denied but even VW admits)

VW had, has, and continues to have, serious problems getting their software right (which you denied but even VW admits)

VW is currently giving customers the option of "Take the car now, MISSING FEATURES, and we hope to get them to you later this year or maybe next year.... or you can wait till they're actually working and take delivery then if you prefer" which you think means the car NOW is "fine"

It is also the car you get that is shown on the website

Except missing numerous software features you might get later if they fix them of course. Hence why they are TELLING customers "Hey, this is missing stuff- do you still want it now or do you wanna wait for us to figure out crap out?"

. All the rambling about software issues

I'm sorry you find facts and sources correcting your untrue claims to be "rambling"

and they delivered a very competitive car

That remains to be seen, the car is just now becoming available and reviews have largely been pretty mixed.

I mean- it's likely better than the egolf- so it's competitive FOR VW. We'll see how it does against other brands EVs though.

. You seem to want to paste features not implemented yet as issues.

Weirdly- VW also considers them issues

Hence why they offer buyers the chance to delay delivery until they FIX THEIR ISSUES.

The only one who doesn't seems to be considering it an issue is you...for...some reason.

Also what about the whopping promise of HW3 being a "full" self driving computer? It does not work yet.

Every listed feature of FSD on the purchase page works today except the one feature they specifically list as coming later.

Though you're moving the hell outta some goalposts here since:

1) This is a 100% optional feature that isn't standard on any trim of the car
and
2) Solving self driving is a vastly harder problem than a fully working infotainment system

The fit and finish is garbage? lol have you even sat in one yet?

No, but the well known German car magazine I linked you to a review of has.

They said fit and finish was substandard.

Did you- once again- completely ignore every provided source you don't want to believe is true?

here's some more sources for you to pretend didn't happen:

VW's new ID.3 electric car harshly criticized by Germany's leading test publication

id.3 review story said:
the car does not meet VW's usual high VW requirements for accuracy of fit of the body parts, minimal gap dimensions, high-quality materials and details

New Volkswagen ID.3 Slammed by Influential German Auto Magazine | TheDetroitBureau.com

id.3 review story said:
The inner side of the hood looks like it was painted with a spray can

Also regarding your claim of NO infotainment problems? That has been, as you like to say, debunked. There's plenty of problems.

Volkswagen's New ID.3 Electric Car Given Low Marks by German Auto Test Publication - FutureCar.com - via @FutureCar_Media

id.3 review story said:
the ID.3's infotainment system takes too long to power up and stated that the navigation system fails to work at times. The publications also pointed out that the 10-inch infotainment screen is positioned too far away from the driver, making it somewhat difficult to operate. Other issues were voice controls not working properly or quickly enough.

VW ID.3: German Magazine Bashes EV For Low Build Quality And Paint

a clear sign that the car's system is "unfinished." Volkswagen already admitted these first units would not present all functionalities they should.
[/QUOTE]

OK, lets get back to the the post , In the hoily grail there was a deadly
rabbit. OK sorry I need to change drugs. Is the ID3 a bad clone of the Leaf?
Although there is some evidence that I control the speeds of all freeways, worldwide
well its just not true, 90% max. What in the name of Jack Daniels and coke are
\you all talking about. Schools out for summer ?

The ID3 looks like a pretty decent car, the main criticisms look like cheap interior finish. I dont think it is directly comparable to a model 3 though, the only reason people are is because there are still so few EVs around.
The ID3 is a small european style hatchback, so compare it to a Golf, Civic, or any other hatchback in the same class.
The M3 is comparable to things like a BMW 3, Audi 4, Mercedes C when you look at size, price and performance.

The ID3 is too small and too slow to be compared, it is targeting a totally different market sector IMO.

Even the ID4 is a struggle to compare to a MY, though probably a bit closer. The ID4 seems to be going after the Rav4, CRV. Again, it is too slow to be compared to a MY.

I think this is a good tactic by VW, in trying to aim their EVs at different sectors to Tesla, good luck to them and let hope we get more and more EVs on the road

• Informative
Reactions: CertLive
Unfortunately, he “CertLive” won’t go away. He feels Tesla has done him wrong, so he is here to hurt Tesla back. It’s that simple.
Next he will be creating multiple users to continue hurting Tesla back. Others have done that here. Most have been banned multiple times.
I wish he would take his fight off the forum.
His efforts have long since gotten old, and redundant.

Yea you see you seem to have turned into a bit of a stalker. I am allowed to view my opinions here as are you but to start accusing me of multiple accounts etc is a new low even for someone like the colours you are showing. You are taking things too personal I am afraid. You have the option to block.

OK, lets get back to the the post , In the hoily grail there was a deadly
rabbit. OK sorry I need to change drugs. Is the ID3 a bad clone of the Leaf?
Although there is some evidence that I control the speeds of all freeways, worldwide
well its just not true, 90% max. What in the name of Jack Daniels and coke are
\you all talking about. Schools out for summer ?

Which EV is the holy hand grenade?

Yea you see you seem to have turned into a bit of a stalker. I am allowed to view my opinions here as are you but to start accusing me of multiple accounts etc is a new low even for someone like the colours you are showing. You are taking things too personal I am afraid. You have the option to block.

I’m stating what I see truly going on with what is motivating your desire to get back at Tesla, because you feel they’ve done you wrong.
Seems I’m correct. I’m not taking your vengeance on Tesla personally though. :)

I’m actually trying to help potential buyers see your personal vengeance towards Tesla as just that, and nothing more. :)

• Disagree
Reactions: holmgang
I’m stating what I see truly going on more. :)

I am afraid you are displaying yourself as a bit of a fraud here. You accused me of using more than one account. I imagen that is because more people share my point of view than you would like. I have one account here. This is it and whatever other people fashion is up to them because I am not afraid to voice my own opinion. So what you make up is not truly going on at all. Yes my model 3 was build *sugar* but there you go testament to think I might get another one shortly. Cant be that hurt can I? So testing the legitimacy of what I have said I have the proof to back it up. Please now present to proof I am the owner of multiple accounts to clear your own falsehood character.

I am afraid you are displaying yourself as a bit of a fraud here. You accused me of using more than one account. I imagen that is because more people share my point of view than you would like. I have one account here. This is it and whatever other people fashion is up to them because I am not afraid to voice my own opinion. So what you make up is not truly going on at all. Yes my model 3 was build *sugar* but there you go testament to think I might get another one shortly. Cant be that hurt can I? So testing the legitimacy of what I have said I have the proof to back it up. Please now present to proof I am the owner of multiple accounts to clear your own falsehood character.

You really do spin things to become truth as best you can, don’t you. Lol.
I would say you misread my post, but I know you read it correctly. This is just your spinning attempts again.

I said: “Next he will be creating multiple
users to heart Tesla back”.
I didn’t say you have done this. Other folks here trying to hurt Tesla back, have though, so who knows :)

OK its late here and I hope we are back on track.
I did watch the videos of the ID3, and I am still laughing.
The first one he would not go on the freeway, hell thats the
first place a take a test drive. The second was a range video and
it was real hard to get the true miles, they did say do not drive it fast
unless you know where to charge.

You really do spin things to become truth as best you can, don’t you. Lol.
I would say you misread my post, but I know you read it correctly. This is just your spinning attempts again.

I said: “Next he will be creating multiple
users to heart Tesla back”.
I didn’t say you have done this. Other folks here trying to hurt Tesla back, have though, so who knows :)

Others.... the paranoia is strong and everyone with a point not happy and against is doing this. You do not need them if you create a point people back. But I suppose if I was to create a video of this ride instead of talking about it here that might make it rain votes. That wouldn't be paranoia then it would be a landslide. I would prefer to get another 3 though and be happy. Sadly Corona is slowing down my Europe wide travel plans. That was the purpose I got one you see to make up for the first disaster EV Europe trip in an Eniro. To travel and document it. No ill intent. But I got a lemon. So as for hurting Tesla back no. But telling what happened is what happened and the ownership reality is revealed. Maybe the next one will be different and I will tell it so.

Back to the OP
Bjorn has just done a mileage and sound test. Its def in the mix now but they do different things with the battery buffer it seems. Almost like hold more back. Makes sense for probably masking some degradation. I will motorway test drive soon and feedback. I suppose for me noise reduction would be nice. That is probably the first thing I would improve on the 3. Can that not be achieved at reasonable cost?