Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW ID.3 Prices released for Ireland, SHOCKING!!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not been following it? How much did we think it was going to be. Was it likely they could significantly undercut the M3 and make a profit with what is on paper a similarly spec'd car?

I think I was expecting the top spec 1st to be around the 35k - 38k mark, bottom spec 1st around the 28k - 30k, mid spec somewhere in the middle of those two figures.

Reactions: ZappCatt
Makes me really glad I chose to cancel my ID.3 reservation and get a M3. I think that most were expecting the top to mid-range 1st Ed model to be around £35k and some were suggesting that the base model might be as low as around £25k.

Was thinking that Mrs pdk42 might get one of these to replace her aging Golf. Not at these prices (which will probably translate 1:1 to £). Her existing car was £18k new in 2010. Inflating by a factor of 2.5x after 9 years just to go electric makes no sense.

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
@pdk42 Hopefully it reassures your just how good value relatively the Model 3 is.

People waiting round for the next best cheaper EVs are going to be waiting a long time!
So it seems. I wonder how much the BMW i4 will be? £70k?, £80k? Maybe BEVs really aren't the future. If the manufacturers can't get them to prices the average Joe can afford then it's all a bit of a waste of time.

Maybe BEVs really aren't the future. If the manufacturers can't get them to prices the average Joe can afford then it's all a bit of a waste of time.

As long as they can sell all they can make then no need to drop the price. Better the makers recoup their significant tooling-up costs so they can continue some further development and scaling-up to get efficiency up and price down - more range for less

For anyone doing a high mileage its already a no brainer. I'm saving £4000 a year on fuel ... For anyone doing 20K miles p.a. sticking that £200 a month fuel saving on the Finance will make the maths work

Reactions: pow216
you must be doing some serious miles and driving a gas guzzler before to see this kind of saving

Nope, had a relatively frugal LyingCheating VW <spit> BlueMotion car before. It probably did 50 MPG across all journeys.

Diesel say £1.30 per litre = £5.90 per gallon - 30 MPG = 20p / mile and 50 MPG = 12p per mile.

Octopus Go = 5p per kWh unit (Overnight Off Peak). On Model 3 that is typically 3 - 4 miles per kWh so 1.6 - 1.25p per mile. Let's call it 2p as realistically some wastage, and not all charging at home / during Off peak

That's a saving of between 20p - 1.25p = 18.75p per mile (best case) and 12p - 2p = 10p per mile (conservative case)

In my case I do about 30,000 miles a year. £4,000 saved p.a. / 30,000 miles = 13p per mile that I need to save. In my case, I have free Supercharging (10% of my miles) and some self-generated power from PV which works out to around £4,000 overall

Probably reasonable to figure on, best case, around 10p per mile saving unless driving a very fuel efficient ICE ... or a lousy MPG one :)

I reckon a reasonably conservative rule-of-thumb is that the saving is £100 per month for each 10,000 miles p.a. driven

I recommend anyone to try this website as a calculator

Click on "I already know the distance" and you can use it to calculate your yearly spend.

already.JPG

Journey Price Calculator - Calculate the petrol price for your trip

Here is my old BMW (27 MPG) for 15000 miles - which I do a year with my 45 mile commute + social:

Total petrol cost: £3194.89
Link to this result: Journey Price Calculator - Calculate the petrol price for your trip

+ Oil changes/Service (£500 average/year)
+ Brakes (£1000/2 years)
+ Oil leak (£1030.29 one off)
+ Crankshaft pulley (£696.62 one off + a ruined weekend break)
+ DPD purge system (£1391.88 one off)
+ Fuel leak (£308.4 one off)

I owned the car for 6 years, paid £18,000 in fuel and £13,360.20 on service and driven it for about 94,000 miles.