Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW ID.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Volkswagen of America has previously said that it does not intend to bring the ID.3 to the US, betting instead that American drivers would prefer the production version of the ID. CROZZ electric crossover."
Demand for the VW ID.3 electric car was so high, the system crashed

Well, crap. My wife just got a M3AWD, which we love. I am hoping someone will put out a little, zippy, shorter-range, city/sports car I could drive to compliment her M3. The E Mini Cooper is slow, expensive, and short on range. The ID.3 seems almost perfect, assuming it has snappy acceleration. I owned a GTI and loved it. My current car is a Subaru BRZ, and if they made it electric and a little more refined, I'd pay $10K more than I did ($27K + TTL).

Here's what I want:
Small 2+2, with the back seats only barely usable in a pinch, but able to be folded down to give decent cargo room in the
Hatchback
RWD
200 mile nominal range
0-60 in 5.0
Nice leather interior, nice entertainment/information system, nice soundproofing
$37,000

How much range do you _need_? How quick do you _need_?

The Honda e Is an Urban EV That's a Recipe for Fun - Details, Specs

Well, that was awkward how they dragged the two children on the stage... I guess some marketing guy said, they have to do a "fridays for future" thing. Because... its a thing. Awkward.

But I liked how you could clearly point out the single person on stage who did not got paid for being there: the sales manager's son, he was somewhere between bored and annoyed - and when his mother took his phone away on stage... lol... I am with him.

But, oh well, the ID.3 looks like a proper VW: boring. But it is a good boring. Only the inside... well thats a lot of different colors... dont't do drugs children... and VW designers...

All in all, lets wait for a Tesla Bjørn review to find out if its a good electric car.

I like it! Love that it's RWD.

Greatly looking forward to seeing the configurator + option pricing as that's where the rubber really meets the road and the comparison with the Model 3 will begin/end. Even though it won't be available in the US at all...

I predict people that go with the white steering wheel are going to have regrets in 2-3 months! :)

Reactions: jas
Another report on VW's EV push:

Volkswagen Hopes Fresh Logo Signals an Emission-Free Future

Executives at Volkswagen, which last year edged out Toyota as the world’s largest carmaker, have hinted that economies of scale have allowed them to push the cost of batteries in the ID.3 below $100 per kilowatt hour. That price is considered the point at which electric cars become more affordable than internal combustion models. Analysts had not expected costs to fall that far for several more years.

Ralf Brandstätter, chief operating officer for the division that makes Volkswagen-brand cars, simply grinned when asked about rumors that the company had achieved that magic number.
Volkswagen plans to begin selling an electric car in the United States at the end of next year, but has not provided details about price. Mr. Brandstätter indicated that the model would probably be a sport utility vehicle. Initially, Volkswagen will import the cars, but plans to begin producing them at its factory in Chattanooga, Tenn., in 2022...

The ID.3 looks very "Golf-like" to me. Since I drove a 1986 Golf for 25 years (until I hit a deer at 230,000 miles) it is a car I liked.

Reactions: KJD and alloverx
I like the pedals:
volkswagen-id-3-2019.jpg

Reactions: Watts_Up
Looks like they plan to price it pretty similar to the Model 3 but with sub 200 mile option at the bottom end for low $30s
Don't forget that the Euro prices include ~20% VAT. The smallest version (330km/205mi range) will supposedly cost below EUR 30,000. The Model 3 SR+ (409km WLTP range) costs about EUR 43,000 incl. VAT in Germany. Even the medium battery version of the ID 3 (420km range) will be significantly less expensive.

If this car doesn't lift EVs over a market share of a couple percent in Europe I don't know what will ...

Don't forget that the Euro prices include ~20% VAT. The smallest version (330km/205mi range) will supposedly cost below EUR 30,000. The Model 3 SR+ (409km WLTP range) costs about EUR 43,000 incl. VAT in Germany. Even the medium battery version of the ID 3 (420km range) will be significantly less expensive.

If this car doesn't lift EVs over a market share of a couple percent in Europe I don't know what will ...

The Model 3 + Model Y