Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW ID.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Der neue ID. Pre-booking Launch Pressekonferenz

The "Pre-Booking" of the ID.3 was launched today, May 8, 2019.
VW confirmed that the new model actually called ID.3 (German pronounced, so as "idea three"). The number 3 stands for the compact class. First, the customer can reserve a special edition called ID.3 1st (first) at prices from 40,000 euros in the pre-booking process. It is limited to 30,000 vehicles and is available in four colors and three versions. The battery in these variants always has a capacity of 58 kWh (net), which allow 420 kilometers WLTP range. Features include natural voice control, a navigation system, IQ Light and bi-color optics. The top variant ID.3 1st Max also has a panoramic roof and a head-up display with augmented reality support. For 1,000 euros down payment you can secure a production slot. For customers of the special edition, the first 2,000 kWh are free when charging.

Later, more variants will be available. The basic model will be available from summer 2020, the price of which should be less than 30,000 euros. Details, in particular to the electric motors, will be revealed at the IAA Frankfurt this year. But it was announced that the ID.3 software allows over-the-air updates. There's also improved voice control and headlight animation that runs as you approach the car.

volkswagen-id-3-prebooking (1).jpg
volkswagen-id-3-prebooking (2).jpg
volkswagen-id-3-prebooking (3).jpg
volkswagen-id-3-prebooking (4).jpg
volkswagen-id-3-prebooking (5).jpg
volkswagen-id-3-prebooking (6).jpg
volkswagen-id-3-prebooking (7).jpg
volkswagen-id-3-prebooking (8).jpg
volkswagen-id-3-prebooking (9).jpg
volkswagen-id-3-prebooking.jpg

Last edited:
I really hope this thing will sell like hot cakes. The car has all the ingredients to go mainstream in European and Asian markets. If demand for this doesn't materialize, it will be an ominous sign for the acceptance of BEVs in general IMO.

So EPA range for the 3 pack sizes would be about 180 miles for 45kWh , 230 miles for 58kWh and 300 miles for 77kWh.
They have OTA but only partial not entire vehicle, could be just infotainment.
Level 3 ADAS at some point in the future (unclear about price) and they are very skeptical about full autonomy anytime soon and without very high costs.
Small pack charging peaks at 100kW and will be able to add 260km in 30 mins, that's likely 0 to 80% and means 140+ EPA miles in 30 mins, in line with the Bolt. Big pack should peak at 125kW, no details on mid range pack.

This is a big let-down, it's just in line with the Bolt, Kona, Leaf, Zoe, Ioniq but way way behind Polestar and even worse vs Tesla.
And they have strongly hinted that they will lose money in the first years.
This is yet another compliance vehicle, nothing more.

Reactions: Pudgie Child
So EPA range for the 3 pack sizes would be about 180 miles for 45kWh , 230 miles for 58kWh and 300 miles for 77kWh.
They have OTA but only partial not entire vehicle, could be just infotainment.
How did you get that idea?
Level 3 ADAS at some point in the future (unclear about price) and they are very skeptical about full autonomy anytime soon and without very high costs.
I think that's a lot more believable than promising a fleet of Robotaxis on the streets next year. :p
This is a big let-down, it's just in line with the Bolt, Kona, Leaf, Zoe, Ioniq but way way behind Polestar and even worse vs Tesla.
How so?
And they have strongly hinted that they will lose money in the first years.
Actually during the Q&A they explicitly mentioned that they intend to earn money on them pretty quickly, and without accounting shenanigans.
This is yet another compliance vehicle, nothing more.
Well, then I guess they'll build 100,000 compliance cars per year. :D

@ Eno Deb

You are clearly not informed and not paying attention or trying the bend the truth to serve some kind of purpose.

Estimating EPA range from WLTP is rather easy and my numbers are good.
VW hasn't even defined their strategy for autonomy, they are more than 6 years behind Tesla while Tesla is the global leader by far.
Based on price, vehicle size, range and so on, they don't do better than others at all. It's just another Bolt no matter how much they hype it. This is about facts, hard numbers, not opinions.
During the Q&A they have stated that they will make money overall with all the ID models in the long run and that they are not gonna talk about a specific model in the short run. They are selling at a loss for the first years, go back and watch the event again.
VW sells a lot of cars and rather dirty ones, they do need a lot of compliance vehicles. 100k is less than 1% of the group's volumes.

Random thoughts:
  1. The order books were opened, so why is the camouflage still in place??? Has anyone ever done this?

2. I despise the "ID.X" naming scheme. Just terrible.

3. Exterior looks good/normal/expected. (Yeah I'm looking at you, BMW)

4. VW says "OTA updates" but what I hear is "Minor media player bug fixes and map updates." I'm not getting my hopes up for to Tesla-style major new features added for free. I'd love for even one manufacturer to prove me wrong on this skepticism. Also I know this is an EU-only model, but will they be able to get OTA-anything past the NA dealers association?

5. Those range numbers for future 2020+ small car do not bode well for the US-market ID.CROZZ that is likely to be bigger, heavier, and less aerodynamic.

6. RWD! Hallelujah! :eek: I can't believe VW managed to resist making a FWD EV for no logical reason, unlike like nearly everyone else.

7. I'd probably choose this over Bolt, Leaf, etc. Still vastly prefer the Model 3 I already own today though for many reasons.

• Love
Reactions: Big Earl
@ Eno Deb

You are clearly not informed and not paying attention or trying the bend the truth to serve some kind of purpose.
Clearly. :rolleyes:
Estimating EPA range from WLTP is rather easy and my numbers are good.
I was talking about your claim that OTA udpates were "only partial".
VW hasn't even defined their strategy for autonomy, they are more than 6 years behind Tesla while Tesla is the global leader by far.
Fantasizing about millions of Robotaxis deployed by next year and selling "FSD" packages without functionality for years is not a strategy.
Based on price, vehicle size, range and so on, they don't do better than others at all. It's just another Bolt no matter how much they hype it. This is about facts, hard numbers, not opinions.
Yet you seem to be highly opinionated. What makes this car different from the Bolt are pricing, production numbers, and more options e.g. for different battery sizes.
During the Q&A they have stated that they will make money overall with all the ID models in the long run and that they are not gonna talk about a specific model in the short run. They are selling at a loss for the first years, go back and watch the event again.
No car in the world immediately generates profits during the ramp-up phase.
VW sells a lot of cars and rather dirty ones, they do need a lot of compliance vehicles. 100k is less than 1% of the group's volumes.
I don't think that word means what you think it means. What makes this a potential watershed moment is that this is maybe the first car by a major carmaker that is precisely not a "compliance car".

The "GTI" is a great platform to start with. 260 miles range is starting to look respectable too.

That said, I'll never buy anything again from the masterminds behind dieselgate.
Right on msw. I have a friend who bought a Passat a few years and and he’s had to have it flat bedded twice back to his home in NY. Interested in finding out more about this car.

What will the price of for the mid-size battery version be? That should compare to the Bolt, correct?
Not known yet. The "1st edition" will be "under 40,000 EUR", the regular base version with 58kWh battery probably a bit less. For comparison, the Opel Ampera-e (European version of the Bolt) currently starts at 42,990 EUR in Germany. The prices include 19% VAT. The WLTP range of the "1st edition" is supposed to be 420km, which is a bit more than the Bolt's (380km).

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
About 10,000 reservations made for the ID3 in the first 24 hours, compared to 115,000 for the Model 3.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

How many reservations came from Europe?
Model 3 reservations turned into 13,821 orders from Europe, half a year after reservations started.

"As of January 3, 2019, 13,821 orders had been listed by reservation holders (the only ones that were able to order), which is not a small number. On the other hand, we would probably expect a higher value."
Tesla Model 3 Reservation Holders In Europe Place Some 14,000 Orders

That's probably less than they were hoping for. I really hope they succeed with this car. I'm concerned that a failure to meet expectations will the a setback for BEVs in general. Other carmakers are closely watching how VW's expensive bet works out for them.