Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW ID4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ID.3 is Golf-sized. The ID.4 is a small crossover, a good starting place for VW in the US.
e-Golf has been sold in the US for years, until it got the axe.

I've encountered them at public charging, talked to some drivers and we had a bunch at work. I've test driven them at least once or twice.

IIRC, for the US, it was only available in CARB emission states. In other words, for the US, it was a CA/CARB compliance car.

The ID.4 looks as if there is much more space for a bigger front trunk than in the Teslas. Doesn't look aerodynamically efficient though. To me it looks as if it cannot get the same range from the same battery size because of poor aerodynamics.

If I were in the market, looking for an electric car and seeing the ID.4, I would compare the parameters carefully, energy consumption, acceleration, max speed, trunk volume, tow load, etc. It shouldn't be too difficult to judge the capabilities of different cars.

But it’s an improvement from their previous stance of only shipping EV press releases I guess
Not sure what you mean by that. E-Golf shipped in CA and CARB emission states for years: U.S. Volkswagen e-Golf Sales Are Now Higher Than Ever. From Monthly Plug-In EV Sales Scorecard: Historical Charts, it looks like it first went on sale in the US in 2014.

It had decent sales in Europe (VW’s e-Golf was January’s top-selling electric car in Europe).

e-tron BEV has been shipping for awhile. Taycan has been selling for less time.

Not sure what you mean by that. E-Golf shipped in CA and CARB emission states for years: U.S. Volkswagen e-Golf Sales Are Now Higher Than Ever. From Monthly Plug-In EV Sales Scorecard: Historical Charts, it looks like it first went on sale in the US in 2014.

It had decent sales in Europe (VW’s e-Golf was January’s top-selling electric car in Europe).

e-tron BEV has been shipping for awhile. Taycan has been selling for less time.

VW has been doing electric vehicle press releases and one-off’s for 30 years

They’ve cried wolf so many times I’m not sure if I even believe the ID4 is shipping in quantity yet

VW has been doing electric vehicle press releases and one-off’s for 30 years
Ok. I'm no fan of VW, but they have been shipping actual BEVs in the US and around the world for years.

Since I'm in CA (thanks to CARB Mandate For Zero Emission Vehicles), I have seen in person in the wild their 3 notable BEVs that first come to my mind: e-Golf, e-tron and Taycan. I've test driven e-Golf at least once. I know some e-tron BEV drivers (we have some e-Golfs and e-tron BEVs at my work) and one Taycan driver.

And, part of their dieselgate penance was Electrify America where they got to spend $2 billion of their own $ to expand EV charging infrastructure, which unfortunately let them stack the deck to advantage their own product interests/direction by usually installing 5 to 7 SAE Combo (Combo1 flavor of CCS) handles at each DC FC site with only 1 CHAdeMO.

Last edited:
Ok. I'm no fan of VW, but they have been shipping actual BEVs in the US and around the world for years.

And, part of their dieselgate penance was Electrify America where they got to spend $2 billion of their own $ to expand EV charging infrastructure, which unfortunately let them stack the deck to advantage their own product interests/direction by usually installing 5 to 7 SAE Combo (Combo1 flavor of CCS) handles at each DC FC site with only 1 CHAdeMO.
CHAdeMO = Betamax. Even Nissan isn't using it for their upcoming SUV in the US.

That interior looks really awkward.

It is essentially a VW-ized clone of the BMW i3. Honestly shocked I haven't seen this comment more often. Then again, this is an i3 we're talking about.

2016-BMW-i3-94Ah-Protonic-Blue-33-kWh-Elektroauto-28.jpg

VW_ID4_electric_car_interior_04.jpg

I mean, the shifter is almost identical except in the VW it's attached to the screen.

iu

2021-Volkswagen-ID4_console.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 5JMJ
Yes the Engineering Explained video was not happy with VW.
He is used to 1 pedal driving which VW decided not to implement even as an option.
The funny part was that the VW ID.4 doesn't seamlessly work with VW's Electrify America chargers
and even more funny, doesn't even display them on the Navigation maps! LOL.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Boy Fenske did NOT have good things to say about the iD4.

I can't say I blame him on many of his points. If this is an entry level, "starter" EV than make it a lot simpler to use.

I watched the video and absolutely agree with him. I love one pedal driving and I would not buy an EV that does not have a one-pedal driving mode. I have taken my P3D on many road trips with confidence because of the Supercharger network. I was very surprised to see that Electrify America, a network designed and paid for by VW, gave him so many problems charging. Plus, when he tried to navigate on a road trip, the in-car navigation did not list any Electrify America chargers. It even directed him to a super slow 7kw per hour charger that instructed him to charge for 10 hours!

Plus, there is no frunk.

In general, I welcome new EV's. But I do not think the ID4 is ready yet.

Boy Fenske did NOT have good things to say about the iD4.

I can't say I blame him on many of his points. If this is an entry level, "starter" EV than make it a lot simpler to use.

for me what he said about the Electrify America network is far more crucial to many potential owners of competitors to tesla.
I took my first roadtrip depending on the EA chargers and it was a complete cluster fugg

Reactions: rxlawdude