Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW ID4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes the Engineering Explained video was not happy with VW.
He is used to 1 pedal driving which VW decided not to implement even as an option.
The funny part was that the VW ID.4 doesn't seamlessly work with VW's Electrify America chargers
and even more funny, doesn't even display them on the Navigation maps! LOL.
I watched Doug DeMuro's review on the weekend, he said it does have 1-pedal driving. The top setting on the drive selector has D/B, turn it once for D and twice for B and when it's in B mode it's one-pedal driving. Their whole gear selector thing seems a little hard to get used to, but I'm sure you'd figure it out with time. Doug did not say if the car remembers your preference for B mode, or if you have to re-select B every time you drive it. I'm not interested in the car enough to do any research to find out.

The difference in definitions is "slows aggressively in low mode" and "slows to a complete stop". Many cars need to use physical brakes to get to a complete stop, and adding in smooth brake blending can be a pain: Tesla took forever to enable "full stop" support, IIRC. (Not a tesla owner yet, I may not)

The ID.4 apparently can slow pretty aggressively in B mode, but won't come to a complete stop without someone hitting the brake pedal... like our Hyundai Kona.

Volkswagen boss Herbert Diess is adamant that the German car company must develop its electric vehicle software in-house. In a recent meeting with executives, Diess outlined Volkswagen’s core needs in the topic of software, indicating that it must be developed in-house and that sourcing effective and dependable software from a notable tech company simply isn’t an option if the company wants to remain independent.
Volkswagen’s EV project, which has been catalyzed by the introduction of the ID. family of vehicles has been a thorn in the side of the world’s leading car company since its introduction. While Volkswagen has made electric models before, they have not been on the company’s new MEB (Modular electric drive matrix) platform designed for electric cars. The platform requires a robustly accurate and scalable software program, something that Volkswagen has encountered several problems with early on in its electric offensive.

But the roadblocks and bottlenecks in Volkswagen’s software are not issues that Diess is willing to have someone else fix. He expects his competent software engineers and other team members to figure out the shortcomings on their own in an attempt to remain free of dependence on another company, whether it would be a tech company like Apple or a fellow electric automaker like Tesla. “We must not hand over data sovereignty, the customer interface, and ultimately the “brain” of the car to the big tech players.”

VW (in-house) and Ford (transitioning to Google) are going in opposite directions. We'll see how this plays out.

Volkswagen boss Herbert Diess is adamant that the German car company must develop its electric vehicle software in-house. In a recent meeting with executives, Diess outlined Volkswagen’s core needs in the topic of software, indicating that it must be developed in-house and that sourcing effective and dependable software from a notable tech company simply isn’t an option if the company wants to remain independent.
Volkswagen’s EV project, which has been catalyzed by the introduction of the ID. family of vehicles has been a thorn in the side of the world’s leading car company since its introduction. While Volkswagen has made electric models before, they have not been on the company’s new MEB (Modular electric drive matrix) platform designed for electric cars. The platform requires a robustly accurate and scalable software program, something that Volkswagen has encountered several problems with early on in its electric offensive.

But the roadblocks and bottlenecks in Volkswagen’s software are not issues that Diess is willing to have someone else fix. He expects his competent software engineers and other team members to figure out the shortcomings on their own in an attempt to remain free of dependence on another company, whether it would be a tech company like Apple or a fellow electric automaker like Tesla. “We must not hand over data sovereignty, the customer interface, and ultimately the “brain” of the car to the big tech players.”

Drove an ID.4 today—dealer got a demo in and had it placed out front—and really liked it. I’ve been holding out for an MY LR RWD since it was announced last summer (but of course still isn’t available) and was about to place an order for the SR variant that appeared for a quick moment at the beginning of the year.

The VW is a viable option, one I’m strongly considering. Drives well, feels great, comfortable, well-priced (and the EV tax credit applies), and looks good. Will wait a bit to see what Elon does over the next few months. One never knows...

Drove an ID.4 today—dealer got a demo in and had it placed out front—and really liked it. I’ve been holding out for an MY LR RWD since it was announced last summer (but of course still isn’t available) and was about to place an order for the SR variant that appeared for a quick moment at the beginning of the year.

The VW is a viable option, one I’m strongly considering. Drives well, feels great, comfortable, well-priced (and the EV tax credit applies), and looks good. Will wait a bit to see what Elon does over the next few months. One never knows...
Try driving or at least sitting in it at night & fiddle with the HVAC?

I test drove an ID.4 along with the latest Model Y, and Mach-E. The ID.4 is superior to the Y in almost every way aside for acceleration. They have an AWD model coming that should be quick, though not supercar quick like a Tesla. That’s fine with me, though in fairness the RWD is on the slow side for an EV.

Comfort, noise, build quality, interface, steering, etc. were all better, and for much less money. I highly recommend people try it.

I test drove an ID.4 along with the latest Model Y, and Mach-E. The ID.4 is superior to the Y in almost every way aside for acceleration. They have an AWD model coming that should be quick, though not supercar quick like a Tesla. That’s fine with me, though in fairness the RWD is on the slow side for an EV.

Comfort, noise, build quality, interface, steering, etc. were all better, and for much less money. I highly recommend people try it.
Can you extrapolate on how the interface is better? Especially the window and unlit HVAC controls? Those are two things I use often.

2 window controls is a compromise, as is HVAC on a screen. There's no way around the fact that it's cost cutting.

Tesla puts climate on a screen, but they give you dedicated rear windows.

With the ID.4 you get more controls on the steering wheel, static controls under the center screen, and some nice-to-haves like dedicated mirror adjustment and wiper controls, not to mention a working auto wiper and auto high beam.

Not sure why they shipped cars to reviewers just days before an OTA to fix laggyness. The interface was perfectly snappy when I used it. Way better than my Audi e-tron's interface.

VW hasn't said what the range of the AWD will be.

My guess is that the MY LR RWD will become available in the US when Tesla sees a need for a marketing move to sell the large number of Y's they plan to build at Austin.

The charging stuff is of course valid. It's incredible to believe that even though VW owns Electrify America their cars have issues communicating with the chargers. As I said, I have an e-tron. They need a decent route planner and Plug & Charge. I would still choose ID.4 based on my test drives.

Check out these other reviews.

Definitely test drive both. I drove the ID.4 a few days ago and was impressed. The main drawback with the RWD (if you've driven other electrics) is the power. I think Kyle @ Out of Spec downplayed that just a bit. The RWD is a turtle. Tesla Y AWD wins big points for the fun factor.

The AWD ID.4 should be pretty quick though, and for not much more $$$ than RWD. Deliveries are Q4 though.

Definitely test drive both. I drove the ID.4 a few days ago and was impressed. The main drawback with the RWD (if you've driven other electrics) is the power. I think Kyle @ Out of Spec downplayed that just a bit. The RWD is a turtle. Tesla Y AWD wins big points for the fun factor.

The AWD ID.4 should be pretty quick though, and for not much more $$$ than RWD. Deliveries are Q4 though.
I am considering the AWD ID.4 to replace my 2012 RAV4 EV. The white steering wheel in the First Edition is a non-starter and I would rather have the extra power and tow hitch receiver included with the AWD Pro S.

Tough position to be in when your CEO basically calls the software shipping in their cars as not up to par.