Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW will trample tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uhhh did you look at the option packages?

You need to add $10,000 in options to get it close to the model y features, then you still have less range and 1/2 the horsepower.

Maybe people just want a reliable, reasonably efficient, reasonably-fast-charging long-range BEV without all the uncertainty and randomness of Tesla's "customer service", so much so that they're even willing to buy a BEV from greedy murderers.

Maybe people just want a reliable, reasonably efficient, reasonably-fast-charging long-range BEV without all the uncertainty and randomness of Tesla's "customer service", so much so that they're even willing to buy a BEV from greedy murderers.

That's usually how I buy my cars. Evaluate them all in the same price range, then buy the mediocre model.

I would be leary of buying anything in its first production year. Even if they get it right, more improvements will be implemented during that learning year. Or maybe 18 months. Tesla or VW. I think the next EV I buy, I will choose the option that gets me closest to 400 miles of range. My model S is down to about 235 miles on a full charge. 260 in the beginning was not bad, but 235 is now starting to feel like it is not enough. Driving 3 hrs on a road trip before needing to take a short break is still acceptable to me, so 235 is still OK, but I'm losing margin of error.

What happened to the ID.3?
11dxsq.jpg

It sells very well in Europe.
But for the USA they're just going for the core market and will assemble and sell the ID.4 in the USA.

Canada, which has a divided small/large market, and a trade agreement with the EU that will eliminate tariffs, might get the ID.3.
I looked at their web page recently and VW Canada has removed the ID3 from the electric vehicles section.

• Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
I've kinda stopped following the overall EV market since we've got our two now and I don't expect to replace either for some years to come. So, my recent impressions of who is, and isn't, crushing EV sales has a lot to do with what I see on the roads in my neck of the woods, that being Michigan. If I had to base it on that, I'd say Tesla is killing it, Nissan is slipping fast, Kia is coming up, BMW has dropped the ball, and VW doesn't even exist. Edited to add: Silly me, I forgot Chevy. I do see a fair number of Bolts, although after the initial surge it doesn't seem to be growing very fast.

(The perennial comments about how Teslas are unreliable and German brand build quality is unimpeachable make me smile, considering we ended up buying our second Tesla before we had planned to because our GTI underwent rapid unplanned disassembly due to a quality problem. Nobody was hurt other than the car.)

Last edited:
The perennial comments about how Teslas are unreliable and German brand build quality is unimpeachable make me smile

I reckon it's herd brainwashing and brand snobbery. I've owned plenty of German cars (VW, BMW, Porsche) and their build quality and reliability is far from perfect. Not saying Tesla is any better. Tesla seem to be more random and inconsistent than average in their quality control. Appears to be luck of the draw whether or not you have issues. My own personal experience has been good. Our Model X has been more reliable and hassle free than the 10 or more German cars I've previously owned. Porsche have had the worst reliability record for me, with numerous major and minor faults.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Brando and tmoz
I have a VW egolf and cannot wait to get my Model Y. I had a Spark ev prior and initially thought the egolf was a significant step up as it does drive well and feels like a real car. Though, with that said, I have had the car in the dealership on eight different occasions for one thing or another over the last two years. My spark, never a problem.
I have test driven every EV on the market and nearly leased a ID4 since I wouldn’t have to worry about being in the same position after the warranty was out. The reason I decided against on the second test drive I realized that it had same software characteristics that drive me up the wall.

TLDR: VWs are crap.