Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW will trample tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope for VW's sake this is only a rough approximation Auto Bild had made.

VW-I-D-Crozz-II-2017-Vorstellung-1200x800-1f43250c006a475a.jpg

The lightly camouflaged test vehicles promise a sharper design, it seems to me. Ghastly.
To think this is supposed to be the EV they want to build in the US.
On the other hand, Toyotas and Lexi have the strangest grills and sell in droves.

Reactions: Evoforce
Volkswagen is gearing up to take on Tesla in a big way. The German auto giant said Monday it plans to manufacture 10 million cars that are affordable and all-electric. It's targeting the launch of worldwide mass production near the end of 2022

Volkswagen is gearing up to take on Tesla in a big way. The German auto giant said Monday it plans to manufacture 10 million cars that are affordable and all-electric. It's targeting the launch of worldwide mass production near the end of 2022
Planning quite often does not lead to doing. Sometimes when it does lead to doing it is protracted out well beyond what was thought in planning...

Reactions: jgs
Going to be interesting. VW is going to try to turn into a major EV producer, can they..who knows. They are just beginning the effort to centralize software and the effort described at first blush looks bloated. They also built a small battery plant. Why? It is something that requires a multi billion dollar investment. They could stop dividends for a few years and use that to build out but right now that seems not to have support.

While a successful ID.4 will probably take some sales from the Model 3, i don't think it will be significant. I think a highly successful VW BEV will erode ICE sales far more than it will erode other BEV sales. There are a lot of folks that, for whatever reason, still don't really know/understand Tesla and would be more comfortable going to what they view as an "established" car company like VW for their first EV. People like that aren't taking EV sales from Tesla. They'll be hurting BMW, Toyota, Honda, Nissan when they buy an ID.4.

Reactions: tmoz
While a successful ID.4 will probably take some sales from the Model 3, i don't think it will be significant. I think a highly successful VW BEV will erode ICE sales far more than it will erode other BEV sales. There are a lot of folks that, for whatever reason, still don't really know/understand Tesla and would be more comfortable going to what they view as an "established" car company like VW for their first EV. People like that aren't taking EV sales from Tesla. They'll be hurting BMW, Toyota, Honda, Nissan when they buy an ID.4.
Elon has always said that the real competition is ICE cars, not other EVs. I do hope that VW makes good EVs and sells a lot. There is a lot of room in the market lots of EVs. Tesla will be able to sell every EV they can make for a long time.

Tesla has big problems with build quality and poor service. You won't find crappy build quality on German BEV cars built in the US or imported into the US.
Despite these issues, Tesla has highest brand loyalty and is still selling out their growing production. While every other BEV has been at best a market “meh” if not failure. So until the market behaves differently, everyone else is a challenger.

I said it in detail upthread, but VWs eGolf had engineering flaws and an unsupportive dealer network. VW has made some great cars, but they will have to prove it with BEV, and also get their dealers to sell and service it.

Reactions: tmoz and themorey
Tesla has big problems with build quality and poor service. You won't find crappy build quality on German BEV cars built in the US or imported into the US.
A German auto magazine review of the VW ID called out the terrible build quality. It seems all manufacturers have initial build issues. Tesla has been much better (per Munro). I'm sure VW will improve also.

Reactions: tmoz