TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

WA hiking and rough roads/car concerns

Discussion in 'Model S' started by hpartsch, Sep 25, 2016.

1. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Hello,

I will soon be getting a used Tesla Models S. For those in Washington state who hike frequently-- many of the roads to the trails are not well maintained. I currently have a 2013 Camry and never once worried about hitting too many potholes with it. However, I have read about issues in regards to suspension failures, alignment issues, and blown out tires. Besides range anxiety, which I can overcome through route planning, this is my biggest concern. I know my Camry isn't a performance car; however, I do not want to get stranded or seriously mess up the car. That being said, I hope I don't have to change my current activities to a large extent.

I will have the 19 inch wheels -- so that should help. However, some of these roads are very rough for many miles.

Any advice from fellow Washingtonians or those with similar experiences?

Thanks!

2. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

How do those roads compare with the 101 in California?

I've been camping in a 90D with 19-in wheels. It's ok, but it's easy to tell that the car wasn't designed for offroad use.

3. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

I've had to use our P85D on really bad trails in Sonoma and Mendocino counties, on the coast, and it's worked fine as long as you know how to drive on dirt roads. I would never use it like I use my F150, but drive slow, keep the suspension high and keep and eye out for ruts and obstructions and it's not a problem at all.

• Like x 1
  4. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

I'm not sure, I'm originally from the west coast and have not yet been on the 101. The roads to the trail heads are often washed out and many not paved.

5. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Good to know!
    My car will not have the air suspension. Your response is reassuring to me though.