Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WA state campsites w/ electricity (NEMA 14-50?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be pretty hard to damage the Tesla even if it were wired incorrectly since it is only 120 volts. I'm more concerned if it is going to fall out of the campground socket or not fit. It looks heavy, those campground sockets often do not have much spring left.

You might be better off with the 20 AMP adapter from Tesla. This isn't a lot better and may be more trouble than it is worth.

Want to buy this just in case I need it, but want double check if this will work safely on a Tesla. Thanks
Yes, that will work fine. It's specifically made for Tesla charging, so it is wired the right way for that. I don't necessarily like the compact block shape of it because of that aspect someone mentioned of all that weight sticking out from the plug putting some torque on it. I got this one from EVSEAdapters. They have a few versions, but look at the one that is a cord about 1 foot long that hangs down from the outlet. That would seem to be able to let things hang a bit more straight down and get the charging box of the UMC closer to the ground so it could be more supported.
NEMA 14-50R to TT-30P Adapter for EV Charging at Campgrounds

For going tent-camping in WA state parks, the tent pad sites don't have any electric hookups. Is there a different place in the park they would let us park to charge up? We're thinking of camping at Pacific Beach State Park (and taking day trips to the Hoh Rainforest) which is far away from any L3 chargers, so being able to charge in the park overnight (even at 120V) would be a huge boost.

I wish there was a good app that would let you search by electric type. I downloaded a few apps and they either didn't have a wide selection of sites or they didn't let you filter by power type or even if power was available. Someone needs to get on this and develop an EV focused camp site app and then sell it for $1 or something...

I wish there was a good app that would let you search by electric type. I downloaded a few apps and they either didn't have a wide selection of sites or they didn't let you filter by power type or even if power was available. Someone needs to get on this and develop an EV focused camp site app and then sell it for $1 or something...

I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but www.rvparky.com lets you filter things and one of the choices is 50AMP service.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Any options for not reserving an RV site for our tent camping? Those RV sites fill up more quickly are are considerably more expensive.

The superchargers are not close enough to really benefit from in the Pacific Beach area. With a family of 4 having a mandatory 2 hour detour to the Aberdeen supercharger mid-stay is not that attractive.

I see what you're saying now. Though it still looks like a 45 minute drive between the Forks supercharger and the Hoh rainforest visitors center, and in the opposite direction from camp too:

Google Maps

Either way my hope was that the WA State Parks would take pity on us and let us plug into a 120 or extra 240 outlet near the tent camping area, so that we don't have to worry about charging logistics at all or having to secure one of the more rare/expensive RV sites. I was just curious if anyone here had any experience with this.

I see what you're saying now. Though it still looks like a 45 minute drive between the Forks supercharger and the Hoh rainforest visitors center, and in the opposite direction from camp too:

Google Maps

Either way my hope was that the WA State Parks would take pity on us and let us plug into a 120 or extra 240 outlet near the tent camping area, so that we don't have to worry about charging logistics at all or having to secure one of the more rare/expensive RV sites. I was just curious if anyone here had any experience with this.

It is 13 miles from the turnoff of the highway up to Hoh.

Reactions: PLUS EV