TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

WA State EV Sales Tax Exemption Updated

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Nevek, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

Electric Car Incentives In Washington State Expanded To More Models

It looks like the new bill goes into effect July 1, 2016 for the first $32k of an EV sale, which makes a lot more sense than the old bill that had no sales tax credit for any EV over $35K.

There was a thread regarding this in the forum but I can't seem to find it. Anyway, worth considering if you are timing your Tesla delivery.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Yeah, it's mostly good news. Although what they didn't note was that there is a dollar cap (I have heard two different numbers) on how much they will give out through this program. They say it expires in 2019, but it could be far in advance of that.

I haven't run the numbers myself. Two people I know did; one said it would run out in late 2016 or early 2017, the other said it would run out in 2019. So we'll see.

HERE is the other thread. It was under the Model 3 forum rather than the PNW forum. It probably makes more sense here.

• Like x 1
  3. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

Thanks, Chad, I knew you had been tracking and reporting on it closely but couldn't find the thread to append to!

Hopefully the folks at Telsa would tell people about this but in case they didn't, getting the news out quickly seems important for someone buying in the next couple of months. It would be a drag to pay the full tax in June and find out it would have been $3K less by waiting a few days.

4. ChadS

The eligibility criteria changed, but it still doesn't apply to the S or X. The car has to start at $42,500 or less.

Bummer.

• Informative x 1
  5. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

#5 Nevek, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Bummer indeed, thanks for the update. I thought at least a partial credit would apply to the S and X. Somehow I missed the $42.5k new cap on the base. 0/2 for me on finding the details.

Can't let those rich bast***s have extra incentives to go electric. /s

Glad I got mine in April 2015. The original tax break was one of the reasons I switched from a reserved X to a pre-July 1, 2015 delivery S, and now I still prefer the S.

• Like x 1
  6. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

I wonder how they define "base price".

This looks more like a tax on larger batteries or long range cars rather than a "rich bas***s" tax.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Maybe it's time to reintroduce the "limited edition" S40 to reset the "base price" on Model S down to $40k. There are many ways to "play the game".

8. ChadS

So limited, it's only sold in Washington, and only in dayglo pink.

More seriously, I wonder if BMW might revamp how they sell the i3. Right now the BEV is eligible, but the REX is not because it's a separate line with a $46k starting price. Could they change the REX to be an option?

More importantly, when they come out with a longer-range BEV...will they keep selling the existing one at the same or lower price? Will the extra-range battery be an option? That's one of the problem with state-specific incentives...it's often not a big enough market to be worth the manufacturer messing around.

• Funny x 1
  9. deonb

deonb Active Member

And if you want windshield wipers, it's a $10'000 option.