Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WA State EV Sales Tax Exemption Updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Democrats won't pass it because it is a 'handout to the wealthy'. Republicans won't pass it because 'global warming is a hoax'. I give it a 1% chance of ever being revived. The Democrats aren't entirely wrong either. $ for $ it would probably make more sense to invest in mass transit or even more Wind investment to reduce emissions.

Sound transit already got their mass transit package and are stealing $$$$ from us.

Reactions: wenkan
I call BS on this. Please provide documentation of this. I bought a Leaf in 2011 and the registration went from zero to $150 with nothing in between.

You must be talking some other fee (maybe your leaf RTA tax or some other part of the registration?) Below is RCW 46.17.323 which was when it was only $100 (which you evidently never paid):
100EVfee.png

Here is a thread on TMC which talks about the fee being raised from $100 to $150:
New Washington State Budget raising EV tab fee from $100/yr to $150/yr

If you find the proposition which passed (I think 2012 election, but not 100% sure) and then the wording on the voting ballot, it was $10. Sorry, it didn't show up in my first google searches and that was about all the time I was willing to put into this, but the info I did give you above shows that you are not talking about the same thing, since EV registration fee in WA didn't go from $0 to $150 as you stated.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Any subsidy should be for used EV cars for folks making below the average/median wage.
No. As much as I am in favor of helping lower income Washingtonians, and as much as doing so sounds more broadly appealing, it is the wrong message to do so exclusively. The important thing to understand is this money isn't to help people afford a car, it is to incentivise those who are buying a car to choose an electric vehicle, as doing so has downstream benefits to the state as a whole.

I think an analogy would be if you were trying to design incentives for businesses to switch to reducing their environmental impact though reducing waste, saving energy, or generating renewable energy. Would you design these incentives so that only small businesses or those operating on low profitability could participate? Probably not, because your goal isn't to help these companies make money, it is to change the behavior of companies in general to the benefit of the public.

Any subsidy should be for used EV cars for folks making below the average/median wage.

Although this economic class should helped, it's unlikely that many lower income Washingtonian's would buy "new cars", since the initial depreciation makes used cars a much better value for those with lower incomes. I believe the incentive should be for all EV's and the more new EV's purchased, the sooner EV's show up on the used market, and become more affordable.

Cars like Nissan Leafs are dirt cheap on the used market. But lower income car buyers have further disincentives towards buying one. Most lower income people live in rentals and don't have charging facilities at home and most have poorer educational levels and may not be aware of the advantages of EVs even if they can charge one at home.

Though the latter could be remedied. Expanding EV infrastructure so more people in rentals can charge overnight will help too. For the poor with shortish commutes, an older, short range EV could be a good vehicle for them. But in places like Seattle, a lot of poorer workers have long commutes because they can't afford to live close in.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Cars like Nissan Leafs are dirt cheap on the used market. But lower income car buyers have further disincentives towards buying one. Most lower income people live in rentals and don't have charging facilities at home and most have poorer educational levels and may not be aware of the advantages of EVs even if they can charge one at home.

Though the latter could be remedied. Expanding EV infrastructure so more people in rentals can charge overnight will help too. For the poor with shortish commutes, an older, short range EV could be a good vehicle for them. But in places like Seattle, a lot of poorer workers have long commutes because they can't afford to live close in.

Lol “poorer.” Households with a $100k income often live 20+ miles from Seattle.

When I think back to when I had my first car, if I had to list off the biggest expenses in my life at the time (besides insurance), it was probably gas, oil changes, replacing the timing belt, a brake job, new O2 sensor, and replacing a clogged fuel filter. Some of these were real budget busters. I know it's too easy to write off what future maintenance costs will be, but used EVs down the road could present owners with none of these expenses.

Then there's people like Senator Steve Hobbs, who is proposing a transportation budget that increases EV registration fees to $350. Not sure why he feels we should be paying so much more than the average car pays in gas taxes, but my assumption is that he and others like him see EVs as nothing more than expensive toys for the rich.

I don't remember learning about the advantages of EVs in my college program. :D

People with a college degree are more likely to have skills at doing research than people without a degree (or any college experience). Most professionals are also used to doing some kind of ongoing education to keep up to date in their professions (whether required or informal). So educated people are more likely to do research and learn about new technologies than people who aren't. At this time most EVs are purchased by wealthier people (who mostly also have educations and are in some profession), so their peers are getting more exposure than poorer segments of the population who are stuck driving 20 years old cars, if they can afford one at all.

There's a new bill in the WA State Senate for a $1000 sales tax exception on BEVs with a $45k base price or less.
Washington State Legislature

It also adopts CA motor vehicle emission standards and enables utilities to expand the vehicle charging network and promote electric transportation.
Looks like it has the support of the governor as well. Importantly, new and used! This is exactly the sort of incentive I think we need. Remember, this isn't about saving people a ton of money, it's about that extra little nudge for people who are on the fence about going electric to take the plunge.

I was looking into ordering a Tesla Model 3 thinking that the sales tax exemption was still available... LOL.
I guess I will keep my Leaf.

The EV sales tax exemption isn’t available but the ‘like-kind exchange’ sales tax exemption still is.

ie. If you trade in your Leaf and get let’s say $15k, you only pay sales tax on $20k - not $35k.

Reactions: Foxhound199
^^ Oh really? So if I sell my 2012 Model S to a private party for $35k and immediately buy a newer used Model S for $55k from a different private party, would I only pay sales tax on the $20k difference?
It doesn’t work that way. On a trade-in the tax is charged on the net cost after the trade-in is. This is from our actual Model 3 purchase document. We only paid tax on $16,500
($56,000. - $7,500 tradein - $32,000 sales tax exemption) note the ** footnote on the exemption.
3AF003F5-62CC-4C60-9A92-718D0ABBD848.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Araman0