Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WA State EV Sales Tax Exemption Updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still looking like 7,500 in April 2018. My Tesla still says December to February but I don't believe it with recent delay in the ramp up unless they decide to make Washington a priority.

Attachments

• sales1.pdf
    190.9 KB · Views: 50
  • sales2.pdf
    168.5 KB · Views: 61
I wouldn't hit the panic button just yet. If they hit 7500 in April, the return of the tax likely doesn't go into effect until Jul 1. I'm also quite happy with how quickly they're moving through current owners, even if the ramp up will be slower. There might also be reason to suspect they won't spend substantial time filling the orders of just California non-owners before branching out. As they scale up, it looks like it will get hard to logistically concentrate all those deliveries in one place.

Reactions: Big Earl
Sorry, I'm a little new to this because I own a Model X.

So it looks like this will only be available if you buy the long range (likely won't be around when we get to standard range and later dual motor)?

Is there an income requirement to get the sales tax exemption?

I wouldn't hit the panic button just yet. If they hit 7500 in April, the return of the tax likely doesn't go into effect until Jul 1. I'm also quite happy with how quickly they're moving through current owners, even if the ramp up will be slower. There might also be reason to suspect they won't spend substantial time filling the orders of just California non-owners before branching out. As they scale up, it looks like it will get hard to logistically concentrate all those deliveries in one place.
Is this documented somewhere?
I was under the impression that the sales tax exemption applied to the first 7500 vehicles sold.

Is this documented somewhere?
I was under the impression that the sales tax exemption applied to the first 7500 vehicles sold.
Yup.

RCW 82.08.809: Exemptions—Vehicles using clean alternative fuels and electric vehicles, exceptions—Quarterly transfers.

Relevant parts: (6)(a) The exemption under this section expires, effective with sales of vehicles delivered to the buyer or leased vehicles for which the lease agreement was signed, after the last day of the calendar month immediately following the month the department receives notice from the department of licensing under subsection (7)(b) of this section.
(7)(a) By the end of the fifth working day of each month, until the expiration of the exemption as described in subsection (6) of this section, the department of licensing must determine the cumulative number of qualifying vehicles titled on or after July 15, 2015, and provide notice of the cumulative number of these vehicles to the department.
(b) The department of licensing must notify the department once the cumulative number of qualifying vehicles titled in the state on or after July 15, 2015, equals or exceeds seven thousand five hundred.

The way I read that, DOL tabulates and reports the fifth of every month (which is why it was updated today). So say today we found they met 7500 during Dec. Jan would be the month they notify department of revenue, credit would be in place through Feb 28.

• Informative
Reactions: Daniellane
So if the 7500th car is titled on say 4/15/2018 it will be reported on 5/5 and then the sales tax credit would apply until 6/30/2018?
That's how I understand it. I suppose they could be aware when they are getting close and start checking the numbers more frequently than is required, notify the department of revenue ASAP, and then move everything up a whole month. But realistically, how often does a government agency do work above and beyond what is required?

Gov. Inslee's State of the State address was this afternoon and of the 30 minute address, nearly half was on the importance of addressing climate change and lowering emissions to protect the state.
I would encourage you all to contact your state representatives, particularly those on the Transportation & Environment committees, and request the alt-fuel exemption be extended.

Address video link from CNN
WA State Representatives by District

I know that in some states there are perks to driving a hybrid car or electric car. One such example is states or utilities providing rebates on installing home chargers, or allowing cars a sticker to drive in the HOV lane.

In Washington State, the (EVERGREEN STATE), do they offer any perk or benefit to us besides charging a surcharge (EXTRA $$$ FEE), on our yearly tabs?

Cynical, yes.

It's weird when you have a Governor whose signature issue is supposedly green energy, who has in the past advocated for very generous incentives for EVs (anyone remember his free tolls idea?), who now has his party in control of both branches of the state legislature, and we have heard nothing about any new incentives with the existing ones set to expire in mere months.

Reactions: zmarty
I know that in some states there are perks to driving a hybrid car or electric car. One such example is states or utilities providing rebates on installing home chargers, or allowing cars a sticker to drive in the HOV lane.

In Washington State, the (EVERGREEN STATE), do they offer any perk or benefit to us besides charging a surcharge (EXTRA $$$ FEE), on our yearly tabs?

Cynical, yes.
The state is already green enough for them. Back in 2013 I remember reading an official response on the wsdot website to a question why the EV's don't have HOV access - the answer was "Washington state has a traffic congestion problem, NOT a pollution problem. HOV's are solving the congestion problem". On the other hand, they did just triple the registration fees last year, costing us an extra almost $2K per year for our household Tesla's - that money is going for a transportation system in 20 years (yea, right). At least they are learning - the monorail tax they had to return because they promised results in only 2 years, so people could hold them accountable. In 20 years whoever is in power will just say "ask the retired or even dead guys where your money went".

• Informative
Reactions: zmarty

Cynical, yes.

FWIW, PSE had a rebate for evse purchases so I remember getting around $500 in the form of a rebate a few years ago. I think they concluded this in 2017 though.

I think the sales tax exemption used to be for all electric cars a few years ago before they changed it to only cover the cheaper ones.

But it would be nice if we got more...carpool access, etc.

Reactions: UZJedi