Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WA state registration fees for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If he's picking it up soon, there's no tax on the first 32000 of the price, so that's awesome... Pretty sure I'll miss out since there are only about 1k exemptions left.

WA State Licensing (DOL) Official Site: Alternative Fuel Vehicles and Plug-In Hybrids Washington State Tax Exemptions

Incentive programs | Washington Department of Revenue
Where are you getting the 1K figure from? This has been a selling point for me to use with my wife, who really wants us to buy an ICE SUV instead of this car.

I didn't know about the 7,500 unit cap. That's so shitty - especially because it applies to ALL vehicles...not per manufacturer. If you're trying to spur EV sales, why put so many limits on it? Sad...
WA is behind the times in green incentives, especially compared to CO and CA.

However, now that Dems control the legislature, maybe we'll see some improvements.

Reactions: marksvend and dss33
Yes the RTA is painful (especially for new cars) but minimal sales tax is sweet. Sad part is we (Sammamish) are very close to the RTA border so we pay the fees but get very little.
Where does the $150 yearly fee go, or is that only upon renewals and not for new cars?

Can you tell us if this only exempted you from the 6.5% state tax, but not the city/county taxes? Just wanted to confirm.
We were taxed $2111.50 on the $20,500 left after 32,000 was deducted from the total of $52,500. This is about 10.3%, the typical full sales tax rate in this area.

Also, for reference, the prior bill that expired July 2015 exempt the entire sales tax amount, regardless of base price of the vehicle. They didn’t apply local add-on taxes then either.

Reactions: Big-T