Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WA State Tax Break on EV Infrastructure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wdolson

Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2015
Clark Co, WA
I haven't seen any discussion of this here on the forum and has anyone gotten the sales tax they paid for their HPWC back?

Incentive Programs: Deferrals, Exemptions, and Credits

When I bought my HPWC from the Tesla website I got charged sales tax. I'm not sure where to send the form when I fill it out. When I contacted the only electrician recommended by Tesla in the Portland metro area, he sent me a tax incentive form for Oregon and it appears he wasn't aware of the Washington program.

It's small compared to the sales tax paid on the car, but it's still going to amount to about $160 for me.

I've seen some others mention they sent the form to Tesla and were refunded. They may have been seattle area customers and had taken the form back into the store vs online. I'd give their customer service line a call.

ETA... sounds like you have the form, but if anyone else is needing it, it can be found HERE

I just heard back from my DS in Portland and he gave me an e-mail address to send the filled out form to: [email protected]

I did order the HPWC online rather than buy it through the local store, so that may be why he gave me the e-mail address.

The service centers in the Seattle area are probably more aware of Washington laws than the one in Portland. Most of the cars they move are going to Oregon addresses. There is only one electrician in this area who is recommended by Tesla and he was unaware of the Washington program until I told him about it.

Clark County is in a weird place down here. Being essentially a suburb of Portland, we're in the Portland media market and all things Oregon seem to be more important than Washington things. You have to make an effort to stay up to date on anything going on in Washington, the news primarily covers what's going on in Oregon and mostly ignores Washington unless something significant happens that's probably a national news story.