Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WA State's Governor is proposing an extension for EV Sales Tax exemption. Act Now!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sent an email to Mark Mullet (happen to live in his district) giving support, expressing concern that the bill was stalled and asking what we could do to help move the bill along. This was his response:

Thanks for taking the time to write in about the Senate Bill 5333 which extends the EV sales tax. I really appreciate hearing from you.

I appreciate the thank you, the Tesla's are really fun to drive aren't they? I would encourage you to continue talking to legislators about this issue. The bill hasn't stalled but rather is part of the ongoing budget process. This process is usually finalized in late April. I'm optimistic we will see a good resolution.

Thanks again for writing in and keep up the good work! Please reach out again if you have any additional questions or concerns.

I sent an email to Mark Mullet (happen to live in his district) giving support, expressing concern that the bill was stalled and asking what we could do to help move the bill along. This was his response:

Great to see the response to your support on SB 5333.

Thanks to Senator Mullet progress on the Senate Bill is happening and the bill itself is a fairly good bill. (A cap on the exemption at $40,000, but tax above $40,000 is added to the fund to expand the charging network)

The same is not currently true on the House Side. The bill there has made less progress, has a lower cap, and tax above the cap goes into the general fund. In addition there is talk on the house side about making the cap a retail sales price cap, so cars that cost above that cap get no sales tax exemption at all.

For WA state voters who have time please reach out to your house representatives and let them know you are a voter and support the extension of the EV sales tax exemption. I would also suggest you reach out to Rep. Reuven Carlyle with the same information.

Let them know your views on the benefits of Electric Cars which include:
- significant health benefits (especially for children and the elderly who are more susceptible to asthma)
- economic benefits of keeping our energy dollars in the state (most electricity dollars stay in our economy, the vast majority of gas/oil dollars leave the state)
- decreasing dependency on foreign oil
- job creation
- etc

Grace (a Seattle EV Association member) was good enough to provide some sample text on a SEVA e-mail list and the House Transportation members you can write to (hopefully along with your own House representatives and Rep. Reuven Carlyle). Modifying this to be your own message helps as well. And I also hope Grace does not mind.

To Representative Judy Clibborn and members of the House Transportation Committee:

I'm calling/writing to request your support for House Bill 2087 and Senate Bill 5333 relating to the sales tax exemption for electric vehicles. Please reject any amendments that would put an MSRP cap on the electric vehicle sales tax exemption. Electric vehicles offer many environmental and economic benefits for our community and our state, and the sales tax exemption is the best incentive for drivers to transition to sustainable transportation. It also is the only incentive offered for electric vehicles in Washington State and has been very successful in making our state a national leader in the adoption of zero-emission vehicles. If the Legislature prefers to place a cap on the sales tax exemption, please retain language that still allows all buyers of electric vehicles to receive at least a portion of the benefits of the exemption. As an electric vehicle owner/customer, I appreciate this tax exemption that makes electric vehicles more affordable and available to more people in our community.

Send to House Transportation Committee members:
Judy Clibborn, 41st District (Bellevue, Mercer Island, Newcastle) - (360) 786-7926, [email protected]
Jessyn Farrell, 46th District (Lake Forest Park, Kenmore, NE Seattle) - (360) 786-7818, [email protected]
Jake Fey, 27th District (Tacoma) - (360) 786-7974, [email protected]
Luis Moscoso, 1st District (Mountlake Terrace, Kirkland, Bothell) - (360) 786-7900, [email protected]
Ed Orcutt, 20th District (Centralia, Chehalis) - (360) 786-7990, [email protected]
Mark Hargrove, 47th District (Kent East Hill, Auburn, Covington) - (360) 786-7918, [email protected]

Last edited:
Absolutely if you have the time.

I am just optimistic that the Senate Bill will get a floor vote with a reasonable likelihood of passing. It was voted out of the transportation committee on a 9-3 bipartisan vote. Is promised a vote in the Ways and Means committee. But it is not guaranteed to pass so support is very welcome.

Right now in in the house though there are real issues including the amendment to eliminate the sales tax exemption completely on cars over a certain value

I do a significant amount of advocacy for educational issues. I've probably spent nearly enough in my own money on advocacy and the kids I'm advocating for during the last two years to more than cover what I'd pay in tax on a purchase.

I don't think there's any chance that this tax exemption is renewed. That's part of the reason that we ordered our Model S when we did. We're still cutting it close to the deadline, but we've been told several times by Tesla that they're doing all they can for people in tax situations like ours.

Without the exemption, expect to pay 9.8% in Bellevue (9.5% sales tax + .3% auto purchase tax).

I hadn't reread either bill lately so I went back and took a look at the two bills as they now stand. Extremely unlikely that either of them move.

The House and Senate bills are different, and neither bill advanced to the floor for a vote. Finance committees in each chamber would still need to act, and then each chamber would need a floor vote. If the bills aren't amended to be identical before any possible floor vote, they'd need to be reconciled and passed by both chambers a second time. We're past cutoff, and into a special session. The only bills that are still alive are NTIB (Necessary to Implement the Budget). I've been told by legislators in the past that at this point, the only NTIB bills that stand a chance at getting any time are those that either increase tax revenue, or decrease expenditures.

Nothing's 100% certain until the final gavel falls, but this exemption is pretty close to dead.

Is there any update to this? Current WA resident

Sounds like the last reply was that it's probably dead.

Still probably dead. You can fairly easily check for yourself by following the links in this post by me:
WA State's Governor is proposing an extension for EV Sales Tax exemption. Act Now! - Page 4

Only the top two are the ones that are likely to move. The fact that they were continued into the special session is meaningless, everything was moved forward.

The special session ends on Thursday, but they haven't even gotten a budget done without things like this. So it's looking like there will be a 2nd special session. I doubt this will move forward in that session, they're going to want to get the budget done and get out of there.

There is some appetite for trying again next year, although even then it will likely be a reduced benefit if it applies to the Model S at all. As breser notes this year is not looking good. So the sales tax waiver expires for all EVs on June 30.

It's too late to order a new Model S and beat the deadline, but you might be able to find an inventory unit. The Seattle delivery team is of course working overtime (seriously, long hours EVERY day; they won't get any days off in June) to get the cars out. I will join them as a temporary contractor to get as many cars as possible out before the deadline.

My understanding is that the delivery department (which is only at the Seattle service center these days) is not allowed to hire any more people, even temporarily.

However, if there are problems getting cars out on time that might change (pure speculation on my part), so it's good to know others are willing to help.

Last edited: