TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

WA Supercharging now $0.25/kWh

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Xtek, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Xtek

Xtek Member

Look like Tesla changed the cost of supercharging from $0.11/kWh to $0.25.

Supercharging

Anyone have info on this? Mistake maybe?

2. dknisely

dknisely Member

Whoa! That's insane for WA!

3. alloverx

alloverx Member

Another reason for an old S versus the M3 I guess

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. DRasheed

DRasheed Member

Looks like Oregon jumped from 12 cents to 24 cents. Electricity prices are going up!

• Informative x 1
  5. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

elec prices are not increasing, at least not anything significant, and certainly not 2x, so that is crazy!
    We have some of the most stable / non-inflating prices and don't see anything changing on the utility side of things.

6. Kuhz

Kuhz Active Member

Hmmm.... maybe it’s a way they are looking to control possible SC crowding with the coming Model 3 wave? An incentive for those who are able to charge at home instead of relying on the superchargers? And at the same time get some revenue for network expansion?

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. marksvend

marksvend Member

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 3
  8. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

You are likely right. At one point Tesla was installing solar and batteries to greatly moderate demand charges. This also likely makes EV charging as expensive as gasoline. One of the prior selling points.

9. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Texas just went from 16 cents/ min. at or below 60kW and 8 cents/min. over 60 kW, to 20 and 10 cents/ min.

10. KJD

KJD Supporting Member

More of the same. Utah is now 22 cents. I think it used to be 14 cents, not sure on exact amount, but it was less than 22 for sure.

Not a big deal for me as I charge mostly at home anyhow.

• Like x 1
  11. NHK X

NHK X Member

Hmm guess they need to keep business sustainable long term. Although I thought it was a great thing to keep it at local electric cost.

12. johnster007

johnster007 Member

Technically they are keeping it at cost. Demand charges are a killer. Lifetime supercharging looking more appealing all of a sudden.

13. Xtek

Xtek Member

Looks like it's happening across the country. Could be for a few reasons.

1. Cost of SC infrastructure
    2. Tesla technically doesn't pay the residential rates and therefor was subsidizing the cost some
    3. Prevent crowding of SCs

I think at first this seems bad but if it's only for road trips it's not too bad.

14. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

here's a couple charts I tossed together to compare increases across the country (for states that's fee is per minute, this is using the higher rate fee)
    Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 1.27.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 1.27.07 PM.png

• Informative x 4
  15. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

25 cents seems excessive based on my energy cost in Southwest Washington.
    Calculated from my Nov. 2017 bill.

My total cost is 8.4 cents per kilowatt including fees/taxes

16. Xtek

Xtek Member

Point of clarification. Your second graph is labeled increase in %. However, pretty sure the way the data reads it is "% of original value". WA saw an increase of 127%.

To calculate increase
    (New - Original) / Original * 100 = % increase

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. azred

azred Active Member

Wow, yesterday I just talked up Supercharger rates with an interested neighbor as a selling point as he is considering a 3. At these rates our old hybrid’s gasoline prices would be competitive with Tesla Supercharging. Fortunately I rarely ever Supercharge either Tesla but it does make the S an even better choice than the 3 for lengthy travel.

This should really put a dent in the local cheapskates’ pocketbooks, which will obviously help travelers. But I’m not sure the increase is enough to totally resolve that issue.

• Like x 2
  18. dknisely

dknisely Member

That rate is definitely less competitive than a hybrid. Assume 30 MPG overall hybrid (easily achievable for HW/city mix), that's $.10 per mile. @ $.25/kWh and my overall 500 Wh/mile HW/city mix, that means $.125 per mile, which is more expensive, potentially even when you figure in things like oil changes. Maintenance otherwise for a Prius is far less than for a Tesla (my 2008 Prius has simply had nothing done except headlights, which were obscenely expensive). Anybody who doesn't charge at home most of the time ($.11/kWh for me in Seattle, plus I have solar that offsets a little) would be hurting (and anybody doing roadtrips with all SC).

19. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Active Member

Wow...that's going to help resale values on legacy models with free supercharging.

• Like x 1
  20. RedMS

RedMS Member

As of now, the only people who should be worried about this are M3 owners who take frequent long trips, owners who have no way to charge at home, and those using the car for taxi or ride share services (not allowed anyway). Of all these combined, this should make for a VERY small percentage of cars.

Having said this, as it’s been already pointed out, the new rates are still more than half less that other AC or Chademo stations.