Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WA Supercharging now $0.25/kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like it's happening across the country. Could be for a few reasons.

1. Cost of SC infrastructure
2. Tesla technically doesn't pay the residential rates and therefor was subsidizing the cost some
3. Prevent crowding of SCs

I think at first this seems bad but if it's only for road trips it's not too bad.

here's a couple charts I tossed together to compare increases across the country (for states that's fee is per minute, this is using the higher rate fee)
Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 1.27.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 1.27.07 PM.png

here's a couple charts I tossed together to compare increases across the country (for states that's fee is per minute, this is using the higher rate fee)
View attachment 285752 View attachment 285753

Point of clarification. Your second graph is labeled increase in %. However, pretty sure the way the data reads it is "% of original value". WA saw an increase of 127%.

To calculate increase
(New - Original) / Original * 100 = % increase

Wow, yesterday I just talked up Supercharger rates with an interested neighbor as a selling point as he is considering a 3. At these rates our old hybrid’s gasoline prices would be competitive with Tesla Supercharging. Fortunately I rarely ever Supercharge either Tesla but it does make the S an even better choice than the 3 for lengthy travel.

This should really put a dent in the local cheapskates’ pocketbooks, which will obviously help travelers. But I’m not sure the increase is enough to totally resolve that issue.

That rate is definitely less competitive than a hybrid. Assume 30 MPG overall hybrid (easily achievable for HW/city mix), that's $.10 per mile. @ $.25/kWh and my overall 500 Wh/mile HW/city mix, that means $.125 per mile, which is more expensive, potentially even when you figure in things like oil changes. Maintenance otherwise for a Prius is far less than for a Tesla (my 2008 Prius has simply had nothing done except headlights, which were obscenely expensive). Anybody who doesn't charge at home most of the time ($.11/kWh for me in Seattle, plus I have solar that offsets a little) would be hurting (and anybody doing roadtrips with all SC).

As of now, the only people who should be worried about this are M3 owners who take frequent long trips, owners who have no way to charge at home, and those using the car for taxi or ride share services (not allowed anyway). Of all these combined, this should make for a VERY small percentage of cars.

Having said this, as it’s been already pointed out, the new rates are still more than half less that other AC or Chademo stations.