TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Wacky Insurance Quote or Not?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by jwtseng, Jan 3, 2017.

1. jwtseng

jwtseng Member

#1 jwtseng, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    I own a Signature Model S P85 (2012) and am now awaiting production/delivery of a new Model S 90D. I'm getting a quote from my current insurance company and it looks like they are quoting me less expense to cover the new 90D than the existing 4 year old P85. Is that right? I've had an accident in the P85 maybe 2 years ago by now. Could that make a difference? All coverage amounts and deductibles are the same btwn the two cars.

I just don't want to play a bait and switch game with the insurance company giving me an attractive quote and then telling me a month later that the rate is actually higher based on the car I purchased.

2. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

They may just be more competitive now and it never trickled down to the old car. Sometimes (but not often) better rates are available just for asking.

Or the coverage really isn't 100% the same. If they have added new restrictions to the policy but didn't make them retroactive that can happen. I've seen that more with homeowners policies though (for example new policies don't cover mold).

• Like x 1
  3. hmmm

hmmm Member

Some insurers only see 2 types of Model S in their system: Performance vs. Non Performance and don't take into account battery size, AWD etc. That was the case with AAA for me.

• Like x 1
  4. Max*

Max* Not Banned

This applies to just about anything. Insurance, cable bill, cell phone bill, etc.

5. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Oops. I just noticed OP was moving away from a P model. My insurance was 2x when I provided them the VIN of a P vs a non-P.

• Informative x 1
  6. jwtseng

jwtseng Member

Thanks for all the replies. And yes, this is about the difference I am finding too. The crazy thing is that my P85 is 4 years old vs. the 90D I am getting. Plus, the sticker price of both cars (new) are only about 10k apart.