Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waco/Austin P85D owners: contribute to science!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fellow central Texans....

I need a P85D!!
I am conducting an in vitro study to evaluate what (if any) electromagnetic interference (EMI) can be detected by implantable cardiac defibrillators (ICDs) within the Tesla Model S under a variety of circumstances (to include different positions within the vehicle, charging modalities, and during acceleration/regen). Various sources of EMI have been shown to interfere with the proper function of ICDs, and could potentially result in inappropriate shocks administered to patients while driving (which could prove fatal) and also inhibit appropriate sensing by the device. To my knowledge (and review of the literature), no such study has been performed with this vehicle. Your participation would involve simply driving around for ~5 minutes with a container containing the test devices submerged in 10 L of 0.18% saline in 4 different positions (frunk, front seat, rear seat, trunk). I will be using my vehicle (an early VIN 60 kWh) to perform the charging testing, etc, but I would like to also test for any additional EMI source(s) that could arise from the front motor itself or the associated changes in current from the battery. I have taken many precautions to ensure that the container is in fact sealed, which have included sealing the lid with caulk and double wrapping the container in trash bags.

If you are interested, please feel free to contact me – I can/will work round your schedule, and the entire estimated time needed on your part is 30 minutes. Of course, you would be operating your vehicle. Also, unless you object, your participation will be acknowledged in the publication. Thank you for your attention. Attached are some pictures of the set up.

Matt Evans, MD
Division of Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
Baylor Scott and White Hospital, Temple, TX

image2.JPG

image4.JPG

Last edited:
Remember that the frunk on the D is significantly smaller -- you might want to check the dimensions of your container (hard to tell from your photos).

Great point BerTX!

Here are a couple shots of my P85D frunk and I added some unscientific dimensions to help you out @Twiddler. For your purposes, I think the largest rectangle that will fit is 13" x 18". Hopefully this picture makes sense.

Frunk Dimensions.jpg

For reference, I keep a cooler in my frunk that fits fairly snugly and it's dimensions are 12" x 17" x 10.5". Here is a shot of that:

Frunk Cooler.jpg

Hope this helps!

Regards, Ben

Last edited: