Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waco Supercharger - Food/Dinner beyond Collin Street Bakery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This Friday I am visiting my parents in Austin and will need to supercharge at waco (first time). Unfortunately we will be arriving after Collin Street Bakery is closed (so sad, I have never eaten at one). The tesla map doesn't mention much around the supercharger though. I was just curious if yall have found some places to eat within walking distance. Also, if we can't walk anywhere and pick up something, are there outside places to relax/sit down to eat (versus eating in the car)?

This Friday I am visiting my parents in Austin and will need to supercharge at waco (first time). Unfortunately we will be arriving after Collin Street Bakery is closed (so sad, I have never eaten at one). The tesla map doesn't mention much around the supercharger though. I was just curious if yall have found some places to eat within walking distance. Also, if we can't walk anywhere and pick up something, are there outside places to relax/sit down to eat (versus eating in the car)?

I've walked to the Denny's a few times, although I wouldn't recommend your entire group do it. I will usually drop the family off at the Denny's and go to the SC myself, walking back. There's not a good (safe) route however. You can walk on the shoulder of the I35 access road, or on the shoulder of the street on the back side of CSB (which is what I do). The shoulder is narrow in a few spots and you're almost right on the road. At night - maybe not such a good idea. You can't walk straight across from the hotel to the Dennys as there is a culvert in between.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
yea I see that on the aerial - that's unfortunate that there is no sidewalks around. Luckily it's just myself and my wife so walking longer isn't as a big deal - its just not ideal without sidewalks. On a side note, I am quite surprised at the Bakery's scant hours. I have driven down to Austin (or Houston) tons of times and always saw signs for it and I always figured since they are hitting up the traveling public so hard they would have evening hours. I was disappointed they didn't really have any. The Mexican place Jarritos looks decent and a bit closer. Hmmm... I was hoping for quicker food versus a long sit down but I may not have much of a choice.

Yeah, we're surprised at the CSB hours too, been there several times after hours. It's a great place too, too bad you'll miss out. Jarritos looks good, never seen that before - will have to try it the next time I'm there and CSB is closed!

I've walked to the Denny's a few times, although I wouldn't recommend your entire group do it. I will usually drop the family off at the Denny's and go to the SC myself, walking back. There's not a good (safe) route however. You can walk on the shoulder of the I35 access road, or on the shoulder of the street on the back side of CSB (which is what I do). The shoulder is narrow in a few spots and you're almost right on the road. At night - maybe not such a good idea. You can't walk straight across from the hotel to the Dennys as there is a culvert in between.

This is what my wife has come to term a "Tesla hike"

Reactions: Ryan Webb
There's a giant HEB just north across Waco Drive. Not sure if it's the kind of HEB with the cafe inside, but at the very least they'd have pre-prepared sandwiches and other things. Google maps says it's about a half mile walk.

I would recommend grabbing some fast food at one of the many restaurants a couple miles south and eating in the car. I hope the other Waco supercharger Tesla is building will be closer to Baylor and all the restaurants.

While I agree that the Waco "pin" is for an expansion of the existing supercharging station, do we know that? I've been a bit out of touch, lately, so I really am just asking.

I think we would agree that the pins do not indicate precise locations of planned chargers, but rather cities being targeted by Tesla. The precise locations are all TBD until the permit is signed.