Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WAGER: Winner Get's Tesla Mug Set

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO, there's no way they are making the M3 quicker than an S for one big reason: Anything beyond a 2.8 second 0-60 is just plain not safe for the average buyer, especially in a mass produced vehicle. Keeping the resident rocket to a limited production, cost-prohibitive model makes sense. You want to keep up with a launching SpaceX Falcon? Get a Model S P90DL.

Reactions: Fiver
IMO, there's no way they are making the M3 quicker than an S for one big reason: Anything beyond a 2.8 second 0-60 is just plain not safe for the average buyer, especially in a mass produced vehicle. Keeping the resident rocket to a limited production, cost-prohibitive model makes sense. You want to keep up with a launching SpaceX Falcon? Get a Model S P90DL.
I'm predicting the S will get faster over next couple years. Also, Tesla makes a VERY safe vehicle, kinda makes up for the speed right? I get what you're saying though... I don't think everyTom Dick and Harry should be out there in a 2.5 second car... but they could also mitigate this with software updates, i.e. autopilot only let's you do a ludicrous launch if it detects no vehicles ahead or beside you for a certain radius. Thanks for entering the contest... now we wait lol.

Hey lets derail the thread a little more:

I agree it's feasible that the 3 could be stupid fast, but I think they will save it for the next roadster, and the 3 will just have a impressive 0-60 similar to current model S specs. Model S will be a little faster by the time the 3 is released also.

Maximum plaid is where jaws will drop, and you will pay a pretty penny for that I'm sure. Margins margins margins!

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Safe? Tesla, please don't concern yourself with my safety. Sub 2.5 is just fine. I will care for my safety myself.
But, but the nanny state must dictate your behavior! I must curb your freedoms! :D

Believe me, getting that kind of performance from a relatively budget-oriented vehicle would be awesome. I'm just thinking the company as a whole might consider keeping their fastest models for those who are willing to pay the premium. At least for now.

• Informative
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Remember by then the S and X may both be faster as well... OOOhhhhh imagine a 2.3 sec 0-60 Model S hehehehe oh the looks on the people's faces that you'll leave at the light....

Will be incredibly quick 0-60 the 1/4 mile will be interesting if it will maintain power. I don't see the Lambo-Ferrari-Porsche crowd that worried about losing a stoplight to stoplight run. Sometimes it's not how fast you go....... it's how well you go fast. :)
Heck- i've seen diesel trucks running 10 sec 1/4 mile times which is just plain silly.