Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wailing wall for Australian Model 3 team VINLess!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked someone at Chadstone and they said that the white on white performance and white, in general, was very popular and had delays. He said that I had a Blue/White which isn't as popular. He said that he expects mine to be delivered Late Nov/Dec and that others should get it around Feb 2020 as there are delays with it.

When I asked him to why the editor flatout says Feb 2020 he said the system doesn't allow them to differentiate between ETAs between selections.

I don't know if he just said this to get me to go away or if he actually meant it, but it seems to be plausible.

Case 1 (myself): 3PD+ White/White FSD Melbourne. Reserved August 18, Ordered 31 May, switched to white interior in July (first day available). I was told yesterday from Melbourne Delivery to expect late Nov. Dec.
Case 2 (TadleyD in Model 3 in AU thread): Not all config details, but ordered a 3PD+ in Melbourne. No reservation, ordered late Aug.. Was told expect Feb (confirmed website still said Oct. when they ordered).
Case 3: (your order): 3PD+ Red/Black Melbourne. Reserved March 19, ordered 31 May and switch order in July. Was told we don't know.

As I said, applying logic to this is dangerous, but the responses don't necessarily seem random.
haha, I love danger.

My logic on this is that the Aussie Tesla staff have no idea what are in the boat. What they know is the estimated arrival time of the next shipment, there is a shortage of P+ supplies and if you have a VIN, you have a car.

So, for case1, the staff you are talking to may not want to be the bearer of the bad news, they told you as much as they know, you don't have a vin and the next shipment will be ready around late Nov/early Dec. Based on their knowledge or lack of, your car might be in this lot. Until it wasn't.

Case2, right now, they are still serving backlog of earlier reservation holders (since april 2016). no reservation means you are treated the same as new customers who use the configurator now (est delivery Feb 2020).

Case3, you have reservation. So still, it is possible to get your car in the Nov/Dec lot. but 2019 reservation, they would feel uncomfortable to say Nov/Dec or Feb 2020.

So we all have perhaps up to mid Nov to get the VINs. And they should confirm that you would get our cars by Nov/Dec. Otherwise, aim for Feb 2020. Or shall I say March/April.

Reactions: Sparty93
Rang Tesla this morning and they said I have a VIN for my P- :D.
However, not showing on account page (still has RN) nor searching for it in the source html.
He said he'd generate my invoice and pass to delivery team but as they are very busy it may take a day or two and account page may take a while to update too.
As I have a VIN allocated he said car must be on the ground now so I guess some others are getting theirs soon.

But not unusual.
I had a friend order a Mercedes GLC and it took 8 months to be delivered (received 4 months ago)
Of course, big difference is that Mercedes committed to a date (8 months out) and stuck to it.

Good point. When I ordered my Audi Q7 a few years back as I didn't want the standard configs they get here in AU, it took 7 months, but that is literally a custom order where they config my unique options exactly, pull a ticket on the line and literally make my car (because of this they were spot on 7 months out to the week I received it). I actually had the opportunity to pick up a BMW 5 Series years ago (2002) in Germany when I ordered it from the US and I got to see it come off the production line with my name attached. This of course is why it is so easy for them to track it for you as you can follow it from order to door.

Tesla clearly states even in the reservation and order contracts that they are not building a car for you but matching. Expectation from Tesla has always been < 30 total M3 configs (I think I read the Taycan has over 100,000 possible combinations!), and then match production output to demand. This is also why we get the flexibility to cancel the order! Until a VIN is assigned we literally don't have a car, just an intent to buy. If Audi went ahead and produced my wacky config (it was not actually but you get the point) and then I canceled, they would be stuck with a made to order car with no buyer. Thus I could not get my down payment back for the Audi if I changed my mind at any point.

Your friends car and mine were exactly on-time even though they took 7-8 months from order. And as you say, it's more around the expectation. Sure the Tesla can be late (a few weeks or even a few months), but I did not expect it to be a half year late, nor do I think any of us here in Jun / July on this forum thought the demand would be soo high this was at all possible.

Anyway, I'll probably go back and hibernate from these forums for a month or so and then pop up again scratching the itch in December if I have not seen it yet! Hang in there everyone vinless!

Last edited:
haha, I love danger.

My logic on this is that the Aussie Tesla staff have no idea what are in the boat. What they know is the estimated arrival time of the next shipment, there is a shortage of P+ supplies and if you have a VIN, you have a car.

So, for case1, the staff you are talking to may not want to be the bearer of the bad news, they told you as much as they know, you don't have a vin and the next shipment will be ready around late Nov/early Dec. Based on their knowledge or lack of, your car might be in this lot. Until it wasn't.

Case2, right now, they are still serving backlog of earlier reservation holders (since april 2016). no reservation means you are treated the same as new customers who use the configurator now (est delivery Feb 2020).

Case3, you have reservation. So still, it is possible to get your car in the Nov/Dec lot. but 2019 reservation, they would feel uncomfortable to say Nov/Dec or Feb 2020.

So we all have perhaps up to mid Nov to get the VINs. And they should confirm that you would get our cars by Nov/Dec. Otherwise, aim for Feb 2020. Or shall I say March/April.

My analysis was pure logic. You used the special "Tesla Logic" so much closer to reality in this case!

• Funny
Reactions: TASKA9
I asked someone at Chadstone and they said that the white on white performance and white, in general, was very popular and had delays. He said that I had a Blue/White which isn't as popular. He said that he expects mine to be delivered Late Nov/Dec and that others should get it around Feb 2020 as there are delays with it.

When I asked him to why the editor flatout says Feb 2020 he said the system doesn't allow them to differentiate between ETAs between selections.

I don't know if he just said this to get me to go away or if he actually meant it, but it seems to be plausible.

Totally sounds plausible that the website does not seem to differentiate between specific configs (although it does between models (i.e. P+ v SR+). As to when, just depends on dumb luck as we continue to firmly establish after 600+ pages on this and the other thread!

I am fairly confident at least a few P3+ white interiors will arrive this year (i.e. someone will get that config in Nov / Dec), just a matter of how many and what crazy logic they use to determine if it is you. I do really doubt that anyone ordering after day 1 white interior was available will be in that position, but if 50 of us switched to that config on day 1 white interior in July and they have 30 on the boats - yup, some of us will be Feb.

Got my invoice today and finance paperwork. Interestingly, the invoice says that the vehicle, a P3D+ VIN 5YJ3F7EC2LF462458 has a build date of 11/10/2019, so 20 days ago today. The invoice was exactly the price that I committed to when I ordered the car, minus the ~$1000 drop in stamp duty (thanks Mr Andrews). Interestingly, there was a price adjustment of $2800 including GST, which is likely the price increases since my original order.

No delivery date, but feeling more real every day.

So, looking at this sheet, it looks like my car is at best on the YM Synergy Keelung which left Oakland on 28th October. I got a bit stressed since it is currently doing 1.2kts just off the coast of California, but it looks like it is heading to Long Beach before heading over the ocean.

I can't confirm that it is actually going to head to Auckland and Sydney after this. Do you know how to get a full itinerary instead of just the next port?

Reactions: MonicaPlease
So, looking at this sheet, it looks like my car is at best on the YM Synergy Keelung which left Oakland on 28th October. I got a bit stressed since it is currently doing 1.2kts just off the coast of California, but it looks like it is heading to Long Beach before heading over the ocean.

I can't confirm that it is actually going to head to Auckland and Sydney after this. Do you know how to get a full itinerary instead of just the next port?
You don't think straight from factory and on to Synergy Oakland? To fast maybe?
Also i think Keelung is anchored till nov the 6th and i think Synergy left quite a bit later according to some ship trackers, @Vedaprime is really the man to ask!

Last edited:
Reactions: MonicaPlease
Also i think Keelung is anchored till nov the 6th and i think Synergy left quite a bit later according to some ship trackers, @Vedaprime is really the man to ask!
Sorry, what are you trying to say? Teslas would have been loaded at Oakland, but the ship is now headed to Long Beach, with an ETA of 2nd November. I am just trying to find out whether there was a way to determine the full schedule for a cargo ship, so that we can be sure that it is actually coming to Sydney at all. It might be that @Vedaprime list is incorrect.

You said Keelung, im saying maybe Synergy, regardless, you can find lots of information including previous and next port by using google, Im sure Veda is using the best available data. Some of the websites you have to pay to get full information, but historically I think most US cargo goes via NZ. Either way you have an invoice so is happening!!! :)

Sitting here with the white interior and no VIN.

giphy.gif

You said Keelung, im saying maybe Synergy, regardless, you can find lots of information including previous and next port by using google, Im sure Veda is using the best available data. Some of the websites you have to pay to get full information, but historically I think most US cargo goes via NZ. Either way you have an invoice so is happening!!! :)
Synergy is a common part of many ships. For example the Synergy Keelung and the Synergy Oakland. Considering the car was built on the 11th, I thought it unlikely that it could have made the Oakland. I suppose that it is possible.

I am aware that the ships will go via Auckland, but only really care about when it gets to Sydney. No site that I have found in the last few months exposes full course, just the leg that they are on at this moment, and historical information on where it has been.

Synergy is a common part of many ships. For example the Synergy Keelung and the Synergy Oakland. Considering the car was built on the 11th, I thought it unlikely that it could have made the Oakland. I suppose that it is possible.

I am aware that the ships will go via Auckland, but only really care about when it gets to Sydney. No site that I have found in the last few months exposes full course, just the leg that they are on at this moment, and historical information on where it has been.

Look at the ANL website. You will get the full path of the cargo ship.

Reactions: RED DRAGON 78
Sorry, just reread what you wrote. I have no idea where my head was yesterday.

Yes, I don't think that they can have made a car, loaded it into a container and loaded it on the ship with hundreds of it's cousins in the 1-2 days that they had to get these to the Synergy Oakland.

I was going to add this to my original deranged post, but it appears that you can only edit posts for a very short time (maybe until they are replied to?)

Last edited:
Sorry, just reread what you wrote. I have no idea where my head was yesterday.

Yes, I don't think that they can have made a car, loaded it into a container and loaded it on the ship with hundreds of it's cousins in the 1-2 days that they had to get these to the Synergy Oakland.

I was going to add this to my original deranged post, but it appears that you can only edit posts for a very short time (maybe until they are replied to?)

I have full real time ship schedules and I update daily.

There was enough time to load on to Synergy Oakland Oct 13.
There was an issue with shipping (ship pulled from rotation) and the next ship is Synergy Keelung Oct 27 (normally, weekly). Instead of going to Seattle, and Vancouver, Long Beach, Keelung has gone straight to Long Beach to save time.

Synergy Oakland arrives Sydney Nov 15. Keelung arrives Nov 22 - and gets back on to the weekly schedule.

With regards to your car, I have some mixed messages about whether Synergy Oakland or Keelung is holding the vehicles from the 11 October build date. I am waiting for more evidence before confirming. Whichever it is on won’t make too much difference, in country logistics variably takes 2-6 weeks.

Last edited: