Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait almost 3 weeks for a flatbed Tesla pickup?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't think having to wait for work is unusual. Especially if the work needed isn't necessary to keep the vehicle drivable.

There was a cosmetic problem with my steering wheel when I picked up the car. Took about a week to get the part in, and about 2.5 weeks after the part arrived for them to be able to schedule me to install it. I did not have them flat bed the car and just drove it in.

I think this will continue to be the case until Tesla expands there service centers. I was told by my SC that they are 2 months out unless it is critical. I have tried to find out the expansion plans but not much info out there, my SC is looking for another location to move to that is 3 times larger.

I've always heard the best part of Tesla was the service. I have found that they are nice, but are already too overloaded. Took them a month just to schedule me in for a blown speaker and to fix my alignment. They said they were just too slammed.

I hate to say this, but I do not want the Model 3 to ever come out. Tesla service is going to be atrocious and there will be no room to supercharge. If they are already slammed with 50-60K cars on the road, what happens at 150K - 250K- 500K?

This is why the big automakers went the dealer route. They simply *had* to, and with Tesla's expectations to just not be a high end luxury automaker, Tesla risks turning into another Ford or GM trying to sell budget cars.

With the many GM dealers I dealt with in the past I would drop the car off any day I want and the problem would be fixed in 1-3 days for something like an alignment or speaker. 1 month is sad, and a bad indicator for Tesla's future growth, in my opinion.

I had the "Service Tire Pressure System" light go on a couple of weeks ago. I checked the tires and they were fine. They checked my car remotely and said it looked fine, so I could drive it. The light went off by itself and has come on five or six times since then, but always has turned off after sitting for a few hours. They are picking up the car on November 25th to check it out, the earliest appointment they had (so about 1 month out from when I called them). No emergency and the car is fine, so that is what it looks like in waiting at Fremont.

No surprise here. I have a minor paint chip on the edge of the hatchback discovered at delivery on 9/30. We had to put off the repair because of rain. So I just made the appointment for 11/25.
On the other hand I swung by the Service Center yesterday. I had pulled into a parking spot at normal height. It looked close, but okay to the curb height. When I pulled out it scraped and then I had a friction sound on the front tire. Immediately to the SC. They were really busy with a lot of MS s getting serviced. The stopped what they were doing and put mine up on a rack immediately. All is okay, except for the scrapes on the plastic front underside. But the technician took the time to come out and explain what happened. Turned out when I pulled in, it did contact the curb and lift the car a little. The air suspension then lowered the car to compensate. That is why it scraped so much. All okay, everything went back into place. Next time keep it on high!

Don't mean to get off topic, but my point is I am gladly waiting a few weeks for a simple cosmetic fix. Because at the same time they will drop everything if there is an operational issue.

I've always heard the best part of Tesla was the service. I have found that they are nice, but are already too overloaded. Took them a month just to schedule me in for a blown speaker and to fix my alignment. They said they were just too slammed.

I hate to say this, but I do not want the Model 3 to ever come out. Tesla service is going to be atrocious and there will be no room to supercharge. If they are already slammed with 50-60K cars on the road, what happens at 150K - 250K- 500K?

This is why the big automakers went the dealer route. They simply *had* to, and with Tesla's expectations to just not be a high end luxury automaker, Tesla risks turning into another Ford or GM trying to sell budget cars.

With the many GM dealers I dealt with in the past I would drop the car off any day I want and the problem would be fixed in 1-3 days for something like an alignment or speaker. 1 month is sad, and a bad indicator for Tesla's future growth, in my opinion.

Right now my Ford has been at a Ford dealer for over 3 weeks. Waiting on a part because Ford is out. Having dealers doesn't just make things magically better.

It all depends on where you live. In Northern CA at least the service wait times are indeed very long. So many cars on the road here that they underestimated service needs. I have hopes they will get better (I understand at least my closest service center is actively looking for a new much bigger location already.)

Now, if you live in some other location you might not have to wait at all. You might even get a mythical Model S loaner while your car is in for service! :tongue: