Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait for 2.0 or buy now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's best to wait for model 3.. Probably ap20, save lots of money..

The base S is too expensive IMO. $66k should at least include leather seats and autopilot. When I see that they sell loaded inventory P90Ds for a discount of $25k + I can't understand why we can't have any discount on the S60 besides a mere $1,000 referral discount. It is even more ridiculous when an inventory loaded P90D can be leased for $120 more a month than a base 60D despite the fact that the MSRP is 40 or $50k more! The S60 is a rip off as it stands.

Even the model X is pretty much the same price as the S once we add dual drive.. It's an SUV it's much bigger.. Members have also reported it to be more luxurious. It's not as sensitive as far as resale value goes with the model 3..

Once 3 hits base MS 60 will be highly impacted resale value wise. I think in 3 years time it will be half off best case scenario. Means cost of ownership of 35 - 40 grand over 3 years!! I think discounted P90Ds will sell at least for $50-55k. 0 to 60 in 3 seconds, lots of range.. The 3 will not compete with that.

As far of MZ People who drive SUVs are not very likely to switch to a sedan with limited trunk. Most of those folks are very sensitive with space.

My 2 cents as a frustrated guy who wants a tesla.

Please point me to loaded p90s at 25k discount. I will gladly cancel my order. Also we are moving up from an SUV into an S.

Please point me to loaded p90s at 25k discount. I will gladly cancel my order. Also we are moving up from an SUV into an S.

Click on the links below select Los Angeles, SF, or OC/San Diego and P90D. Depending on year and mileage they run from 15K off to 25K+ discount. The higher discounts have higher miles ~5K and are 2015 vs 2016. ALL are pre-refresh.

The prices are not normal discounts, they typically have only discounted a few thousand and didn't seem worth the trouble. They finally seem motivated to move the previous loaners and to replace them with new refreshed P90's.

Pre-Owned Model S | Tesla Motors

Model S P90D 114077 | Tesla Motors

I was holding off for newer hardware too, but the fact that the housing can accommodate a second camera to make it stereo, that was good enough for me to decide to not delay any further.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
On order: X90D Pearl White, tan leather, light headliner, 6 seater, 20", PUP, Sub-Zero, AP, Premium Sound, Tow hitch
Tesla Discount Referral code: Referral | Tesla Motors

Source?

Can you please provide references to all of your numbers? a P90D for only $120/mo more doesn't seem quite accurate I also haven't seen too many inventory P90Ds with a discount of 25k. Sure, if you don't want a new car (aka 5-15k miles on it) then maybe but then you aren't really comparing the same thing. Additionally, the Model 3, fully loaded, with full range, is very unlikely to be less than 50k. So, it is very likely the S60 (larger car, more luxurious) will still retain it's value well. I think the only thing being canabalized will be their own new sales of the S60 (which they will probably discontinue and replace with the 3).

So to me it seems, the S60 is a big model 3, 2-3 years before you can get a model 3, for 10-15k more than a similarly apportioned model 3 would cost you 'today.' The big difference, of course, is you are talking about waiting to buy a car which you don't know the features of, you don't know what the interior (or even exterior?) will look like, and getting it in 2-3yrs (hopefully?) to buying an existing car, you will get within 60 days, built brand new, that is bigger, for 10-15k more.

Truthfully, the S60 doesn't seem like a bad deal at all!

If I couldn't afford an S60, then I wouldn't buy it. But if someone can genuinely afford an S60 they should. It is a great deal.

ALSO, don't forget if you put your model 3 deposit in now you will almost certainly not get the $7500 tax rebate. So, the S60 and possible model 3 are actually much closer in price.
Model S P90D 114053 | Tesla Motors

$1067 a month

Edit: the S60D I wanted with AP leather and sunroof is $938 a month!

Model S P90D 114053 | Tesla Motors

$1067 a month

Edit: the S60D I wanted with AP leather and sunroof is $938 a month!

You seem to just be looking at monthly payments?

The cash price for the P90D you linked to is $107,100. That is way more than a new 60D will cost you. Make sure you are paying attention to the down payments required and also be aware these lease payments are an estimate.

Yes I am referring to the lease. Down payments are similar I believe. Plenty of people like to lease.
Just because plenty of people like to lease doesn't mean it's a good financial decision. After three years in that P90D you've still spent over $45,000 and you have no equity. If you spent that same money on your $65,000(after incentives) S60 you would only owe $20,000. I would imagine your S60 would be worth at least $30,000 after three years, so you would be sitting on at least $10,000 of equity. Then after two more years of payments your S60 is paid off. Then no more payments for easily five more years. My current car is 12 years old and is still extremely reliable. So the guy making lease payments of $1067 for ten years (+$7500 x 4 = 30,000, down payments every three years) has spent over $165,500 over ten years and still has no equity. But of course he's driving cutting edge technology, or maybe it's doing the driving. The guy that bought the S60 has spent less than $90,000 (giving a possible $20,000 in repairs). I would say that's a pretty conservative $75,000 in savings over ten years. Then if the car is still reliable you might save $15,000 a year for a few more years. So leasing isn't a good financial decision, but it's not a horrible one either.

Just because plenty of people like to lease doesn't mean it's a good financial decision. After three years in that P90D you've still spent over $45,000 and you have no equity. If you spent that same money on your $65,000(after incentives) S60 you would only owe $20,000. I would imagine your S60 would be worth at least $30,000 after three years, so you would be sitting on at least $10,000 of equity. Then after two more years of payments your S60 is paid off. Then no more payments for easily five more years. My current car is 12 years old and is still extremely reliable. So the guy making lease payments of $1067 for ten years (+$7500 x 4 = 30,000, down payments every three years) has spent over $165,500 over ten years and still has no equity. But of course he's driving cutting edge technology, or maybe it's doing the driving. The guy that bought the S60 has spent less than $90,000 (giving a possible $20,000 in repairs). I would say that's a pretty conservative $75,000 in savings over ten years. Then if the car is still reliable you might save $15,000 a year for a few more years. So leasing isn't a good financial decision, but it's not a horrible one either.

Agree with you here. Folks seem to focus too much on the monthly payment, rather than how much cash they are actually shelling out, equity they will have in the car, residual value, etc.

Leasing is even worse in Texas, because you pay taxes on the full value of the car, rather than the total payments you will be making.

Leasing is still a good option for many people though, especially due to fast advancing technology, business deductions, etc. Just make sure you fully evaluate everything before jumping into a lease...

Last edited:
Regarding Tesla a lease may be a good choice if only due to the improvements made in 3 years. I went back/forth but decided on financing because I can drive myself nuts waiting on the next great thing from Tesla which is just around the corner :) No regrets

My message is primarily intended to those who want to lease. Lease can financially make sense sometimes but in the case of the S60 it clearly does not. I do no intend to turn this into a buy vs lease argument.

After Elon's master plan release I'm going to pull the trigger on a model X. He hints at a long time before AP is "amazing". (Normal road driving etc) More so from a software standpoint than hardware.

I figure by the time the software/hardware combo is great it will be 2-3 years and I can upgrade if needed.

Reactions: Model S M.D.
After Elon's master plan release I'm going to pull the trigger on a model X. He hints at a long time before AP is "amazing". (Normal road driving etc) More so from a software standpoint than hardware.

I figure by the time the software/hardware combo is great it will be 2-3 years and I can upgrade if needed.
My thinking exactly, which is why I ordered a model S. Autonomy is 3 years minimum and by that time I may be looking to trade-up anyway :) I was excited to hear Elon stae that the current hardware can be of use for a long time and improvements to it will be substantial.

• Informative
Reactions: Model S M.D.
My thinking exactly, which is why I ordered a model S. Autonomy is 3 years minimum and by that time I may be looking to trade-up anyway :) I was excited to hear Elon stae that the current hardware can be of use for a long time and improvements to it will be substantial.

Do you have a link to this? This is great news for us AP 1.0 owners!