Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait for 82 kWh battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Realistically, what’s the range increase with the 82 KWh battery? 15-20 miles? I’m ordering in January regardless.

If you consider the usable range of the battery being from 10 to 90% state of charge it’s just under a 10% improvement in range. For the trip I will often need the car for that 10% is significant. It’s a 190 mile round trip with no Super chargers near the route and a 4500 foot gain in elevation going. There is no option to charge at the destination other than 110 ,power.

Reactions: arghx7
Realistically, what’s the range increase with the 82 KWh battery? 15-20 miles? I’m ordering in January regardless.

Same, VIN matching in January. I think we'll be ok, I think the 82kW's are already going in the cars, just waiting to be software unlocked. Or they'll keep it software locked for longer life of the battery. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, you would think end of quarter/year would deplete their stock of batteries but then again I have no idea how many months worth of batteries they have on hand.

Same, VIN matching in January. I think we'll be ok, I think the 82kW's are already going in the cars, just waiting to be software unlocked. Or they'll keep it software locked for longer life of the battery. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, you would think end of quarter/year would deplete their stock of batteries but then again I have no idea how many months worth of batteries they have on hand.

It will depend on how much competition the Fort Mustang EV will give the Y. If people start gravitating to the Ford the Y's battery will be unlocked to show they also have the equal 82kW batter but have longer range.

Just a conjecture.

If you consider the usable range of the battery being from 10 to 90% state of charge it’s just under a 10% improvement in range. For the trip I will often need the car for that 10% is significant. It’s a 190 mile round trip with no Super chargers near the route and a 4500 foot gain in elevation going. There is no option to charge at the destination other than 110 ,power.

I'm in exactly the same situation, all the way to the elevation change and distance....

You will be able to charge faster and range will be more then extra 35 miles.

If im about to buy your car in 3-4 years from now i would never buy anything else below 350 epa miles

That's just you. They are still selling EV's with 100 miles of range or less when new. Not everyone bases buying an EV on a couple of extra stops on long distance drives, so I wouldn't fear monger on the range of the current Model Y.

82 kwh will be out very soon. Extra miles will make this car good for long road trips.

Faster charging is also good thing.

Current battery make it difficult for long trips.

Also resale value for 82 kwh battery cars will be much better

If you can and don't mind waiting, it's always a good idea. But the bump to 82 won't make much real world difference. You can test this by using abetterrouteplanner.com, plot a trip across the country and change "battery degradation" from 100 to 95 to simulate the difference in the larger battery. You may be surprised.

The accepted total capacity of the LR battery in the Model 3 and Model Y has been, before the upgrade, 78kWh. The 82kWh battery is a 5.1% increase. This would potentially increase the estimated range from 326 miles to ~343 miles (~17 additional miles.) When planning a trip where the charging options were limited, with the current LR battery you could lower your speed a bit and this would increase your driving range by 5%. Adding 5% capacity is definitely a good improvement but not a game changer.