Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait for AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never drove a RWD M3, but the RWD MS regen feels a lot different than the AWD MX. The MX feels like one of those go kart where you take your foot pressure off the accelerator, the car immediately slow down. The MS drives more like a normal car, the regen does slow the car a bit, but it is definitely not as noticeable. With the MX, you never have to touch the brake even when making a 90 degree street turn. With with RWD MS, you have to tap it.

• Informative
Reactions: wesley888
I'm also holding out for AWD until Tax Credit is at risk. However, it's been difficult. Since getting the invite to configure I've been building my car everyday on the site but never finalize.

ha! I did this daily (or multiple times a day) for 3 weeks before rationalizing that I'd be fine with a RWD, given that I'm doing fine in a RWD S. And back then, AWD was scheduled later than SR, so I thought full tax credit was at risk. No regrets though.

Never drove a RWD M3, but the RWD MS regen feels a lot different than the AWD MX. The MX feels like one of those go kart where you take your foot pressure off the accelerator, the car immediately slow down. The MS drives more like a normal car, the regen does slow the car a bit, but it is definitely not as noticeable. With the MX, you never have to touch the brake even when making a 90 degree street turn. With with RWD MS, you have to tap it.
Were both the S and X were set to standard regen?

I really want AWD. I have driven Subaru’s for 15+ years and love the way they handle in inclement weather. I have 2 Subaru’s now and would love a M3 AWD however; I’m in the May-July 2018 group for LR/PUP and late 2018 for AWD so I’m thinking no AWD if I want the full tax credit.

Reactions: Snow Drift
I really want AWD. I have driven Subaru’s for 15+ years and love the way they handle in inclement weather. I have 2 Subaru’s now and would love a M3 AWD however; I’m in the May-July 2018 group for LR/PUP and late 2018 for AWD so I’m thinking no AWD if I want the full tax credit.
Two Subaru house here (STI & XV Hybrid). I’ve also had 3 WRX.

I’m waiting for Dual Motor to replace the XV for my wife.

• Love
Reactions: C141medic
I'm going to wait to order one of the last Model 3s with the full $7500 tax credit so I can have the best selection of options. I understand that Tesla has some estimators saying Mid 2018 and others saying Late 2018 for AWD, but in practice, do you think Tesla will gradually make options available to some and not others, or will they just add options to the general configurator and anybody who can configure can pick all available options?

If the posts on this forum are any indication, there might be many thousands of deposit holders that will pile in when they learn the tax credit is going away. The lucky ones will get their wish and put off buying till the last possible minute, but for others the wait will be in vain as they learn that so many have jumped in ahead of them and got the last of the credits.

This might be the ultimate demand lever that will get waiters to finally commit.

Waiting for the last minute might be hard because you are never certain when that last minute might be.

Could be a nail biter for many.

Those waiting for white seats may get them, but at the cost of some tax credits.

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele
Were both the S and X were set to standard regen?

Yup. It was an 2014 MS 85 vs 2017 MX 75D though. Both on Standard. The S drives like a normal car (a very fast normal car). When switching between the X and a normal ICE car.. sometime I will brake too late on the ICE and almost hit the car in front as it is hard to judge the distance before hitting the brake.