Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait for light to come on before unplugging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a '22 M3P and Tesla wall charger in my garage on a 50A circuit. No issues with charging, but my question is: when I go to unplug after it's been charging overnight, do I have to wake the car up and look for the white T on the charge port to unplug? Most times, pushing the button on the charge handle doesn't wake it up, so I usually open the driver's side door, then when the T turns white, I unplug. ...is it cool to just unplug it when it's fully charged and fast asleep?

TIA

Solution
I have a '22 M3P and Tesla wall charger in my garage on a 50A circuit. No issues with charging, but my question is: when I go to unplug after it's been charging overnight, do I have to wake the car up and look for the white T on the charge port to unplug? Most times, pushing the button on the charge handle doesn't wake it up, so I usually open the driver's side door, then when the T turns white, I unplug. ...is it cool to just unplug it when it's fully charged and fast asleep?

TIA

Try HOLDING the button down (not pushing it, holding it) on the handle. This will both wake the car up and unlock the port. I didnt find this out until a few months ago, myself.
You usually won't have a choice I think. The port has a locking pin that is pushed up into the notch in the charging handle, so it is locked in there. You need to get the car awake enough so that when you press and hold that button it will tell the car to pull back that locking pin to release the handle before you can pull it out anyway.

There is an exception to that though. A year or two ago, people were having problems with the charging handles getting frozen in there, so Tesla pushed an update to the cars so that if it's below freezing, it will go ahead and pull that locking pin when it's done charging, so people can still just pull the handle out.

Upvote 0

TIA

Try HOLDING the button down (not pushing it, holding it) on the handle. This will both wake the car up and unlock the port. I didnt find this out until a few months ago, myself.

Upvote 1
Solution
I’ll echo jjrandorin-press and hold the button on the charging wand, about three seconds is enough, and it’ll light up and unlatch. I think I learned that in the same thread. Prior to that, I was giving the rear door handle a slight push-not enough to open it, but enough to wake the car so the wand would unlatch with just a quick press.

Upvote 0

TIA
Hold the button down on the handle then pull out. Easy. No need to do no waking up of the car etc, etc.

Upvote 0
Hold the button down on the handle then pull out. Easy. No need to do no waking up of the car etc, etc.
Um...Charging on portable charger (12A 120V) today. Pushing down on button would not unlock charge port. Had to go to app and select Stop Charging. Only then would button unlock charging port. Holding button down did seem to stop charging-with blue light-but would not unlock port until STOP CHARGING was selected ?

Upvote 0
Um...Charging on portable charger (12A 120V) today. Pushing down on button would not unlock charge port. Had to go to app and select Stop Charging. Only then would button unlock charging port. Holding button down did seem to stop charging-with blue light-but would not unlock port until STOP CHARGING was selected ?

How long did you hold it pushed in? It takes about 3-4 seconds to unlock, at least on my car it does.

Upvote 0
I have a similar issue. I charge my M3 in my garage (with the car set to stay unlocked at home), and when I come down to use it after it has charged overnight, the button on the handle of my high power wall connector won't wake up the car, no matter how long I hold it for. I used to use the standard universal mobile charger that came with the car, and holding the button on that handle always works (with the light coming on green for a few seconds and then going white), but the HPWC one never wakes the car and I have to open a door or something to get the green light on so I can then push the button to make it go white. Once the car is awake, the button works 100% reliably to unlock the port and it also works fine to open the flap when I get home, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the button itself. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I have a similar issue. I charge my M3 in my garage (with the car set to stay unlocked at home), and when I come down to use it after it has charged overnight, the button on the handle of my high power wall connector won't wake up the car, no matter how long I hold it for. I used to use the standard universal mobile charger that came with the car, and holding the button on that handle always works (with the light coming on green for a few seconds and then going white), but the HPWC one never wakes the car and I have to open a door or something to get the green light on so I can then push the button to make it go white. Once the car is awake, the button works 100% reliably to unlock the port and it also works fine to open the flap when I get home, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the button itself. Any ideas?
Mine is also set to stay unlocked at home, but holding the button down on the charge handle for 3-4 seconds always wakes the car and unlocks the port. I'm using a HPWC, phone as key, and on software version 2021.35.103 on a 2022 M3P.

Upvote 0