Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait for matrix lights? Model X Plaid being delivered within the week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bad news:
"....Congratulations on your new Model X and a pleasure to meet you on the phone earlier. Regarding the Matrix Headlights, they are not available for the Model X at this time and we do not have a current ETA when they be available for future builds. I was informed that they will not be retrofittable to your Model X...."

So it seems they don't know when (or if) Matrix headlights are coming to the Model X, but they do know that it won't be retrofittable. :(

Bad news:
"....Congratulations on your new Model X and a pleasure to meet you on the phone earlier. Regarding the Matrix Headlights, they are not available for the Model X at this time and we do not have a current ETA when they be available for future builds. I was informed that they will not be retrofittable to your Model X...."

So it seems they don't know when (or if) Matrix headlights are coming to the Model X, but they do know that it won't be retrofittable. :(
:(

Thanks for the info. Hopefully this is a policy decision (that can be reversed) and not a technical blocker.

Reactions: sorka
Tesla has been loathe to offer any upgrades or retrofits into older vehicles. They believe that it isn't worth their engineering time and effort to do so. They also likely believe it will hurt future sales.

As an example, there is no technical reason Tesla couldn't offer a 100kWh pack upgrade for older S and X. Jason got one to work. Tesla just isn't interested in doing it.

In a few years, when their order books are thinner, they may recognize that upgrades are a great way to improve margins at the Service Centers. But for the foreseeable future, it is unlikely.

My original Model X plaid from February has been deemed "undeliverable" after spending 10+ weeks at the service center trying to fix it. I have it in writing from the service center that my Model X replacement vehicle will be delivered May 5th and WILL have the new matrix headlights. If the vehicle is delivered without them, do I have any recourse?

My original Model X plaid from February has been deemed "undeliverable" after spending 10+ weeks at the service center trying to fix it. I have it in writing from the service center that my Model X replacement vehicle will be delivered May 5th and WILL have the new matrix headlights. If the vehicle is delivered without them, do I have any recourse?
You can always refuse delivery. The issue is that no one outside of the factory knows when they will start shipping matrix headlights. That sort of information does not appear to get forward to SAs and people not in production and assembly.

Reactions: croman
There have been several false flags about matrix headlight X deliveries from SA's. I hope this one pans out.

Reactions: croman
99% sure they don't have them. Numerous cars are getting delivered now being labeled as matrix, but so far none of these owners have reported actually getting them.

Either that, or these codes are actually correct and the MX's matrix headlights look strangely like the legacy lights. There's always a chance of that. But I highly doubt it.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
99% sure they don't have them. Numerous cars are getting delivered now being labeled as matrix, but so far none of these owners have reported actually getting them.

Either that, or these codes are actually correct and the MX's matrix headlights look strangely like the legacy lights. There's always a chance of that. But I highly doubt it.

could be possible, matrix functionality exists with reflector headlights in other auto manufactures. it all started with the A8 back in 2013

doesnt seem likely though since they're using samsung pixcell which is designed to be used in a single projector housing

I dont see why they would mix up matrix technologies as that would complicate production so im assuming there will be a model x headlight with projectors and pixcell leds

Reactions: AudreyHTX1
Hey all, so I decided to take delivery without the matrix lights, thinking I can just get a new one when matrix lights come around and sell this one. But, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Red Model X Plaid. More pictures on the main posts but here is one for you all :)

Attachments

• 046020F3-B93D-4B3A-9C62-CBDBFDFC9A14.jpeg
    046020F3-B93D-4B3A-9C62-CBDBFDFC9A14.jpeg
    970 KB · Views: 162
I would be shocked if the matrix headlights aren't just plug and play. If they have a CANBUS connector they're almost certainly so.
This has been discussed on this thread and it seems like connector and everything is same but it requires a certain config which at-least rite now Tesla is not allowing. for retrofits.

This has been discussed on this thread and it seems like connector and everything is same but it requires a certain config which at-least rite now Tesla is not allowing. for retrofits.

I doubt this is a software config that needs to be enabled. That said, the headlights will require programing as soon as they're plugged in. No CANBUS device can just be plugged into a Tesla without programming. You either need Toolbox or you need to wait until you have new software staged and ready to install, install your device, and then install the software.

I doubt this is a software config that needs to be enabled. That said, the headlights will require programing as soon as they're plugged in. No CANBUS device can just be plugged into a Tesla without programming. You either need Toolbox or you need to wait until you have new software staged and ready to install, install your device, and then install the software.
One of the forum member did message green the only on twitter and he did say that one of the config value needs to be changed for it to work,

Some gateway config id to 2 from 28

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
Hey all, so I decided to take delivery without the matrix lights, thinking I can just get a new one when matrix lights come around and sell this one. But, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Red Model X Plaid. More pictures on the main posts but here is one for you all :)
How are the legacy headlights? Mind sharing some pics? I mean if they're "good enough" I won't care much about matrix TBH (especially since it might never actually get enabled).

Reactions: DelPhonic1
How are the legacy headlights? Mind sharing some pics? I mean if they're "good enough" I won't care much about matrix TBH (especially since it might never actually get enabled).
Yeah but in some things in life I am super vain! The absolutely classy looking tail lights, the sophisticated smaller black appliqué that does not cut into the tail lights and the OPTION to have adaptive matrix headlights, the best on the road are reasons enough for me to want it when they are available..either on my current car as a retrofit or a brand new car 🤷‍♂️

will send you pictures of the current lights..super bright, super adaptive (high beam, low beam etc.) but they are not matrix LEDs…sigh…lol 😂

Honestly... given the way auto highbeams still work after however many years, i would think the matrix functionality is going to be a little bit away. As cool as it may be to have it, unless you live in a remote area with twisty roads where it would be nice to not have to think about the auto highbeams/matrix functionality, they will most likely for all intents and purposes, be completely off for city life and populated highway driving. I would probably turn the functionality off anyway if they did enable if its just like auto high beams as it currently tends to blind/flash other people randomly.

Honestly... given the way auto highbeams still work after however many years, i would think the matrix functionality is going to be a little bit away. As cool as it may be to have it, unless you live in a remote area with twisty roads where it would be nice to not have to think about the auto highbeams/matrix functionality, they will most likely for all intents and purposes, be completely off for city life and populated highway driving. I would probably turn the functionality off anyway if they did enable if its just like auto high beams as it currently tends to blind/flash other people randomly.
Agree 100% but about the vanity of it all? They look much better…the current lights look old lol

Yeah but in some things in life I am super vain! The absolutely classy looking tail lights, the sophisticated smaller black appliqué that does not cut into the tail lights and the OPTION to have adaptive matrix headlights, the best on the road are reasons enough for me to want it when they are available..either on my current car as a retrofit or a brand new car 🤷‍♂️

will send you pictures of the current lights..super bright, super adaptive (high beam, low beam etc.) but they are not matrix LEDs…sigh…lol 😂
I care a lot less about how they look (honestly I have to squint when trying to tell if M3s and MYs in my neighborhood have them or not) vs how they perform.

The old MX lights are reportedly bad, but from Tesla SAs to recent deliveries, the consensus seems to be that these lights currently shipping on the MX are actually very good. Couple that with the fact that the cars are marked as "Matrix" in Tesla's DB, I have to wonder if these are indeed "Matrix" lights... maybe just not the same model as the S/3/Y. But they do sound different.

As I've said before this could all come down to supply. They could be a different source vs Samsung's 2D "projector" matrix lights. Perhaps it only has 1D control (being able to only black-out an entire column vs a square). As others have noted, this is how other "matrix" headlights work.

Reactions: AudreyHTX1