Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait for matrix lights? Model X Plaid being delivered within the week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all - So I am new to the Model X forum. After almost a year of waiting for the Model S and taking delivery of the Model S LR in mid March, realized I really need the Model X. My second car (original car) is Model Y LR. Given some family member mobility issues, a higher car (SUV) made sense hence selling the model S.

My Red Model X Plaid is being scheduled for pick up very shortly (VIN assigned 7SAXCBE66NF33910x). Since I already have the Y and in no real rush, should I wait for the new matrix lights on the Model X? does anyone know when they may be expected? Also, are there any other meaningful updates coming up on the Model X that are worth waiting a few months for? Given Tesla track record, if I get my VIN unmatched, I can easily buy 3-4 months before they will pester me to take delivery.

Thoughts?

Whether you wait It depends how much you really need the high beams all the time for driving. Some people say June, but I don't think anyone outside of Tesla really knows.

IMHO, Tesla more than any other car manufacturer is constantly making change to their vehicles. If you want the latest and greatest the best thing to do is lease, or plan on buying and selling every few years. As an example, when I ordered my 2018 Model X they were shipping units with MCU1 with a 16 bit processor. The display was very slow and sometimes unusable. But during my 4+ month wait for delivery they updated to a much faster 32-bit MCU2, killed the interior color combination I had ordered, and increased the price of re-ordering. These changes were not made on any particular schedule. Cars made on one minute had the feature, cars made a minute before did not. Fortunately the replacement interior combination was much better than what I ordered. But this was enough to make me glad we leased.

Whether you wait It depends how much you really need the high beams all the time for driving. Some people say June, but I don't think anyone outside of Tesla really knows.

IMHO, Tesla more than any other car manufacturer is constantly making change to their vehicles. If you want the latest and greatest the best thing to do is lease, or plan on buying and selling every few years. As an example, when I ordered my 2018 Model X they were shipping units with MCU1 with a 16 bit processor. The display was very slow and sometimes unusable. But during my 4+ month wait for delivery they updated to a much faster 32-bit MCU2, killed the interior color combination I had ordered, and increased the price of re-ordering. These changes were not made on any particular schedule. Cars made on one minute had the feature, cars made a minute before did not. Fortunately the replacement interior combination was much better than what I ordered. But this was enough to make me glad we leased.
I think it’s different. The MCU update and new interior options were not known beforehand. We all know the matrix headlights release is imminent.

I think it’s different. The MCU update and new interior options were not known beforehand. We all know the matrix headlights release is imminent.
Exactly my point. Also, other minor refreshes and updates are fine. I am just giving up my recently bought Model S LR that has the new matrix lights released a month ago and they are beautiful! Both the headlights and the taillights. So very hesitant buying an almost $150k car without these upgrades. But then again, cannot wait either :(

Reactions: DelPhonic1
I have a similar 339xxx VIN coming soon, and my SA claims my car has them. Many people have made the mistake of seeing the charge port and tail lights and assuming the headlights are upgraded as well though, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's wrong.

Either way I'm done waiting. If my build looks clean, I'm taking it. As others have noted, there will always be something new coming. Part of the deal with these cars.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Yes, wait. You are not just waiting for lights. You are waiting for the product ramp up to smooth out and flush bugs out. I’d wait for 2023’s in October or so.

Even Elon said it himself in an interview with Munro. Buy at the very start of ramp up or at the end. You don’t want to buy while production ramping up.

There's also always the chance of a retrofit, too. I wouldn't expect to hear any news on that until Tesla actually enables the matrix feature in the US (and who knows when that will be).

Even without the adaptive features of the matrix headlights active, the amount of light, throw pattern, and cutoff is superior by far to our current lights.

Yes, wait. You are not just waiting for lights. You are waiting for the product ramp up to smooth out and flush bugs out. I’d wait for 2023’s in October or so.

Even Elon said it himself in an interview with Munro. Buy at the very start of ramp up or at the end. You don’t want to buy while production ramping up.

tbh i think the 2030 model XS pro max would be better, but also probably would wait then for hw7 that can drive via neuralink headrests.

The legacy X headlights are legitimately sub-par for a modern car in its price range. I'd wait unless you need the car, unless you're able to lock in a better price thanks to your order date. I have 8 and 14 year old German cars whose headlights are better.

I do hope they're retrofittable, for my own sake. When Toyota did a nice upgraded LED headlight assembly on the Tundra, it was backwards-compatible with an aftermarket module, and wasn't too expensive, but considering the matrix headlights also have code associated with making them do matrix headlight things, I won't hold my breath

Here's a comparison for folks who don't want to google. This is Model 3, low beam and then high beam.

Legacy:
1650120623031.png
1650120498775.png

Matrix:
1650120656146.png
1650120403483.png

The Matrix is objectively better... but to be totally honest the difference is small enough that I wouldn't mind the legacy headlights if it means driving the car months earlier. Especially since the Matrix feature enablement is still TBD (if ever) in the US, and a retrofit appears to be technically feasible. The Matrix pattern is also a bit... weird. I could see a lot of folks actually preferring the legacy pattern.

Bottom line: if it's otherwise a solid build I think the car would be a keeper.

Here's a comparison for folks who don't want to google. This is Model 3, low beam and then high beam.

Legacy:
View attachment 794249View attachment 794248
Matrix:
View attachment 794251View attachment 794246

The Matrix is objectively better... but to be totally honest the difference is small enough that I wouldn't mind the legacy headlights if it means driving the car months earlier. Especially since the Matrix feature enablement is still TBD (if ever) in the US, and a retrofit appears to be technically feasible. The Matrix pattern is also a bit... weird. I could see a lot of folks actually preferring the legacy pattern.

Bottom line: if it's otherwise a solid build I think the car would be a keeper.
The matrix lights appear more squared in the above pictures close against a garage but they dont appear like that when you are actually driving. They really provide a much wider coverage in both directions. I sometimes even have people flashing me thinking my high beams are on.

The matrix lights appear more squared in the above pictures close against a garage but they dont appear like that when you are actually driving. They really provide a much wider coverage in both directions. I sometimes even have people flashing me thinking my high beams are on.
Yeah I could see that being the case. You can even see the lateral intensity in the comparison shots above. Still not sure the difference is big enough to warrant a delay (again, barring the matrix feature actually being enabled... once that happens this calculus will probably be upended).

Reactions: tbart75