Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait for matrix lights? Model X Plaid being delivered within the week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you all need matrix headlights? Most people don't know how to drive at night anyway, and too many leave high beams on, blinding oncoming traffic. I suppose, of course, you are only driving with matrix headlights on dark, winding roads with no traffic, right? I've spent many hours driving at night and have never had a problem seeing. I guess I'd need fancy headlights if I were speeding, but I don't know. Being old, I can't understand how matrix lights would only be used on the performance. Driving faster than light?

Of course, Tesla will soon supply its cars with the superior products, but if you can't wait, well, you just have to deal with only seeing the road like the rest of us.

There are several high-end cars that don't have matrix headlights, so it has nothing to do with the S and X being "high end".

Last edited:
Why do you all need matrix headlights? Most people don't know how to drive at night anyway, and too many leave high beams on, blinding oncoming traffic. I suppose, of course, you are only driving with matrix headlights on dark, winding roads with no traffic, right? I've spent many hours driving at night and have never had a problem seeing. I guess I'd need fancy headlights if I were speeding, but I don't know. Being old, I can't understand how matrix lights would only be used on the performance. Driving faster than light?

Of course, Tesla will soon supply its cars with the superior products, but if you can't wait, well, you just have to deal with only seeing the road like the rest of us.

There are several high-end cars that don't have matrix headlights, so it has nothing to do with the S and X being "high end".
Matrix headlights can have sectional diming. This allows the driver to use the high light more often without blinding oncoming drivers. It detects an on-coming car and only dims the section that would blind the oncoming driver. The net result is you see better and the oncoming driver sees better.

This dimming can also work when you come up behind someone. The section that would shine in the car in front's rear view mirror is dimmed, but the other sections can remain bright. So you can see the sides of the road without blinding the driver in the car in front.

See this article for more information

Last edited:

no one "needs" them, but once you get used to say like LED headlamps, its hard to go back to halogen lamps. Same could be said about very smart matrix leds if they work properly and can track every object (highly reflective signs that could shine back at you) and car/ pedestrian to bend the light around them, then it would be hard to go back. right now, the matrix lights have a slightly different/wider light dispersion pattern but its not really something I would be holding out on delivery for. By the time they perfect the tracking technology, there will be some new matrix laser light that can bend light around time or something.

no one "needs" them, but once you get used to say like LED headlamps, its hard to go back to halogen lamps. Same could be said about very smart matrix leds if they work properly and can track every object (highly reflective signs that could shine back at you) and car/ pedestrian to bend the light around them, then it would be hard to go back. right now, the matrix lights have a slightly different/wider light dispersion pattern but its not really something I would be holding out on delivery for. By the time they perfect the tracking technology, there will be some new matrix laser light that can bend light around time or something.
I do agree with you, however, these lights are going to be a generation upgrade than the previous lights. Also, the black appliqué at the back will not cut into the tail lights, which I really like. I do not like the look of the black appliqué cutting into the taillights. For these two reasons, I may get the newer Plaid with matrix lights once released and sell this current one. Crazy, I know.

I do agree with you, however, these lights are going to be a generation upgrade than the previous lights. Also, the black appliqué at the back will not cut into the tail lights, which I really like. I do not like the look of the black appliqué cutting into the taillights. For these two reasons, I may get the newer Plaid with matrix lights once released and sell this current one. Crazy, I know.
they already updated the tail lights? I doubt they’re creating a brand new tail light anytime soon when they just made a new one with C shaped brake lights, separated turn signals and a new charge port. Anyway wait for the new night vision windshield, puts matrix lights to shame.

they already updated the tail lights? I doubt they’re creating a brand new tail light anytime soon when they just made a new one with C shaped brake lights, separated turn signals and a new charge port. Anyway wait for the new night vision windshield, puts matrix lights to shame.
Yeah all recent deliveries still have the black spanning into the tail lights, so I don't know what he's talking about.

Yeah all recent deliveries still have the black spanning into the tail lights, so I don't know what he's talking about.
I had the new Model S with refreshed lights. Those taillights had the black appliqué shorter than the current one and were not cutting into the taillights. The initial set of Model S tail lights were exactly like my current Model X Plaid taillights. But then in mid Feb they stopped production for 2-4 days and in mid March I received the S with new taillights and matrix headlights. I am assuming they will do the same for Model X in the next couple of months.

I had the new Model S with refreshed lights. Those taillights had the black appliqué shorter than the current one and were not cutting into the taillights. The initial set of Model S tail lights were exactly like my current Model X Plaid taillights. But then in mid Feb they stopped production for 2-4 days and in mid March I received the S with new taillights and matrix headlights. I am assuming they will do the same for Model X in the next couple of months.
They've supposedly changed the tail lights already on the X, so I'd be surprised to see them make that kind of change twice in such short of a span of time. But who knows?

BTW, Tesla has pulled the matrix lights on recent Model 3 LR deliveries. This could indicate a parts shortage. Would not be surprising to see the transition on the X delayed even further: Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

They've supposedly changed the tail lights already on the X, so I'd be surprised to see them make that kind of change twice in such short of a span of time. But who knows?

BTW, Tesla has pulled the matrix lights on recent Model 3 LR deliveries. This could indicate a parts shortage. Would not be surprising to see the transition on the X delayed even further: Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room
Good to know! I am configuring my Model X Plaid order today so if it comes next year in April with the new lights then I am totally fine….lol

I agree with you. I've driven over 50 years without matrix lights, so another few years without them is no big deal. I have my 2002 MXLR and am happy as a clam. I see matrix lights as something else to go wrong with the lights or the computer program.

Happy Motoring....

Matrix lights aside, if this is how you perceive risk tolerance you're going to have a (very) bad time with any Tesla.
I don't agree in general. The main systems are proven. However, new systems aren't: such as noise cancelation, infotainment (I guess rear screen and front screen don't have separate sound systems?) Those two things don't bother me, as half the time I have the radio off (so I can see better. Ha Ha.) My spotify does buffer a lot, so I shut it off.

I don't agree in general. The main systems are proven. However, new systems aren't: such as noise cancelation, infotainment (I guess rear screen and front screen don't have separate sound systems?) Those two things don't bother me, as half the time I have the radio off (so I can see better. Ha Ha.) My spotify does buffer a lot, so I shut it off.
Wonder how the other cars infotainment and noise cancellation software are doing. Do they do 44.1 tidal streaming too, and have software updates to fix recalls?

Reactions: Awakened77
Wonder how the other cars infotainment and noise cancellation software are doing. Do they do 44.1 tidal streaming too, and have software updates to fix recalls?
I don't think my air bag recall will be fixed by software. I am not knocking Tesla, obviously I have two of them. I merely said that waiting for matrix headlights may not be worth waiting for at the moment. Honestly, I don't know what tidal is, other than the ebb & flow of water on a global basis. I'll have to google it sometime and find out. Only had the X for a month.

I don't think my air bag recall will be fixed by software. I am not knocking Tesla, obviously I have two of them. I merely said that waiting for matrix headlights may not be worth waiting for at the moment. Honestly, I don't know what tidal is, other than the ebb & flow of water on a global basis. I'll have to google it sometime and find out. Only had the X for a month.
I'd like to have matrix, but if they're not on my car, no biggie since I don't have a problem with my 2018. Refresh should be better even without matrix headlights. Because I want my car like right now. Where is it.

As to Tidal, If you're not using a flash drive for music, then Tidal is the next best thing to take advantage of the intense study and work Tesla engineer dudes put into making your new beasts sound system beyond the competition. Model 3 guys that swore the model 3 sound system was better than other models are now paying homage to the new audio king, the refresh model X and S. Those engineers slaved their asses off to make our new sound system what it is which is rarified air, at least for stock. I try to honor their sacrifices, which is the least I could do, by listening to better quality sources and getting the full benefit of a sound field that those Tesla engineers intended, which is closer to how the artists and producers wished. And then, listening to your favorite music in this Tesla becomes quite the destination. But I'm more on the extreme side of those things.

I'd like to have matrix, but if they're not on my car, no biggie since I don't have a problem with my 2018. Refresh should be better even without matrix headlights. Because I want my car like right now. Where is it.

As to Tidal, If you're not using a flash drive for music, then Tidal is the next best thing to take advantage of the intense study and work Tesla engineer dudes put into making your new beasts sound system beyond the competition. Model 3 guys that swore the model 3 sound system was better than other models are now paying homage to the new audio king, the refresh model X and S. Those engineers slaved their asses off to make our new sound system what it is which is rarified air, at least for stock. I try to honor their sacrifices, which is the least I could do, by listening to better quality sources and getting the full benefit of a sound field that those Tesla engineers intended, which is closer to how the artists and producers wished. And then, listening to your favorite music in this Tesla becomes quite the destination. But I'm more on the extreme side of those things.
Thanks, I'll have to try it. I see there's a "free" version. Probably drown me in e-mails if I "join". I'm not wanting to spend another $15. a month (or what-ever it is) on a subscription right now. A least I'm free of my Serius XM on my Buick, now that I have my X.

Hope you get yours soon. 7 Seat I presume.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
An update to let everyone know that I tried to get to the bottom of why I was told Matrix headlights were present on my PLAID Model X on numerous occasions, including from a service member.

Spoke with a a sales member and a manager today who apologized about this mix up and confirmed that there are no Model X's that have Matrix headlights. The sales rep indicated that there are no bulletins or any information anywhere about Model X having or soon coming out with Matrix headlights.

They are indicating that this was an honest mistake and that even though I did the right thing by doing due diligence before taking delivery of my PLAID X, there wasn't anything they could do now. Not sure what else I can do other than have a bad taste in my mouth from this experience.
It was absolutely crystal clear No X has Matrix yet from information shared on this forum. It is also crystal clear that if you ask 10 SA’s a technical question you’ll get 11 different answers. If you asked anyone here on the forum they could have told you exactly what you were getting. But you wanted to believe the SA.

I knew the exact VIN I needed on my S and I got it. If I didn’t I would have pushed it out. There are lots of upgrades always coming. Some are more important than others. Like it would be great to get swivel screen but not a big deal to miss that. Could care less about tail lights too. But improved headlights are worth waiting for. It’s a safety feature, not a convenience feature.

This is on low beam and they don’t have the fancy programming that’s due to come. This is a good distance back and camera zoomed in.

I took this photo to show off my polished windshield. Have you polished yours yet, it’s as important as new headlights. It is absolutely pitch dark out. Feels like daylight with no windshield.

51985924520_c18dde46de_b_d.jpg