Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait for matrix lights? Model X Plaid being delivered within the week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wierd. To me my Plaid Model X lights (del'd late 5.15) are 3x as good and as bright as my old 2018 Model X. And Plaid X does not yet have matrix.
I remember when both S/X had their "refresh-refresh" around Feb/Mar, and S got matrix lights but X didn't... multiple Tesla service advisors were *convinced* that the X had matrix lights as well. More than one told me "these latest refresh models are simply BLINDING".

Couple this with multiple reports from pre + post refresh owners (like yourself) claiming that the latest refresh Xs have significantly brighter lights, and I'm thinking that the X headlights did in fact get an upgrade... albeit just not to "matrix" lights.

Some have speculated that Tesla's current hardware implementation for matrix lights still cannot satisfy the NHSTA requirements to enable the matrix functionality. They may be enough for Europe (and elsewhere), but could very possibly never get enabled in the US (until newer models are shipped). So if that holds true, it seems possible that the X won't get Matrix lights for a long time (perhaps years) if the latest lights are bright enough.

Last edited:
The fact that Tesla's flagship is still getting pumped out with an old taillight design and outdated headlights is appalling. Has anyone actually seen an X spec sheet showing Matrix?
The current shipping tail lights and headlights are fine. Pretty great, in fact. As several previous gen X owners have noted, the refresh appears to have new, brighter headlights- at least the recent ones.

From my review in the waiting room thread:
1659451214789.png

The current shipping tail lights and headlights are fine. Pretty great, in fact. As several previous gen X owners have noted, the refresh appears to have new, brighter headlights- at least the recent ones.

View attachment 835712
Yes! The lights on my 2022 X are way better than those on my 2018 X.

View attachment 835712
Yes, they better be great for a flagship car. But I dont want "great" I want the BEST! That's why I ordered the flagship car... so give me flagship components! Tesla has a bunch of extra headlights is their own internal ****ng problem and we should not get shafted for it.... They should have accounted for the extra inventory before jumping into the refresh. Fact is that entry level Tesla's are coming better equipped than the X and that is not right! BMW or Mercedes would NEVER do this on the 7/S class.. why does Tesla think they can get away with it? You do understand they are cheating us right...?

Yes, they better be great for a flagship car. But I dont want "great" I want the BEST! That's why I ordered the flagship car... so give me flagship components! Tesla has a bunch of extra headlights is their own internal ****ng problem and we should not get shafted for it.... They should have accounted for the extra inventory before jumping into the refresh. Fact is that entry level Tesla's are coming better equipped than the X and that is not right! BMW or Mercedes would NEVER do this on the 7/S class.. why does Tesla think they can get away with it? You do understand they are cheating us right...?
Uh…. No. Not with regard to headlights anyway.

Reactions: JimBob 909
Uhh no what? You’re cool with Tesla giving you outdated tech on your flagship purchase? Wish I had more clients like you
Correct. I had no expectation of matrix head lights when I ordered over a year ago. Tesla adds tech as it becomes available. I am perfectly happy with that. Really. Honest. There is always something newer, better, faster on the horizon.

Reactions: JimBob 909
Couple thoughts after a few night time drives in my new X.

Corner turning activated lighting is pretty nice and really lights up the surroundings

Auto high beams have MUCH to be desired. There was a new Tahoe ahead of me that I was bright, then off, then bright then off. Guy must have though I was f'ing with him cause as soon as he got a few cars in front of me he blasted me with his brights for a couple seconds. Jack wad! :mad:

So now I've just turned off auto high beam. I must say though I like running the brights out here in the dark boonies though. I'll just deal with peasant manual switching for now.

I should get my '18 Model 3 out and do a side by side on to the garage door comparison shot.

Reactions: everydaychris
Couple thoughts after a few night time drives in my new X.

Corner turning activated lighting is pretty nice and really lights up the surroundings

Auto high beams have MUCH to be desired. There was a new Tahoe ahead of me that I was bright, then off, then bright then off. Guy must have though I was f'ing with him cause as soon as he got a few cars in front of me he blasted me with his brights for a couple seconds. Jack wad! :mad:

So now I've just turned off auto high beam. I must say though I like running the brights out here in the dark boonies though. I'll just deal with peasant manual switching for now.

I should get my '18 Model 3 out and do a side by side on to the garage door comparison shot.
Man so for sure no matrix huh? No tesla logo when doing the light show?? haha

Those delaying taking delivery till the next rumored improvement comes along are missing out of the great driving experience these cars provide.

There will always be something coming "right around the corner" and it seems like they get released right after you take delivery, but you can only get the configuration that is coming down the assembly line at the time yours is ready.

Tbh I really like the og style headlights on the model x. I’ve seen the matrix lights on the refresh s and it looks really weird. I keep mistaking it for a c class. It’s two beams instead of this crystal reflector outline. The model 3/Y did it better where when the matrix lights are on, so are the reflectors in the middle which gives it a wide appearance vs the old 3/Y only the outside reflectors turned on. The X has a really elegant design without the matrix thats stunning to look at. Granted I will give matrix lights look better on the road with a more even pattern, the X headlights provide plenty of light and do the cool turn signal side light too. Matrix doesn’t do that and given how bad auto high beams are currently, I wouldn’t hold my breath on the matrix functionality coming out anytime soon.