TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wait for Model 3 reveal for delivery of inventory car?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by MattMatt, Jul 25, 2017.

1. MattMatt

MattMatt Member

I'm expecting an inventory Model S 90D with 1,200 miles soon, but no specific date yet. With the showroom discount of 18,000, it brings the price to 91,000 before tax credits. Is there any reason for me to delay my delivery until after the Model 3 reveal? I cannot think of anything that would happen that would cause me to not buy the car, but if there is something I could always back out since I haven't taken delivery (and lose my deposit).

Thoughts?

Matt

2. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Member

Elon says the MS will always have more features than the M3.

Besides, why would a Model 3 impact your Model S purchase? They don't compete in the same class.

This is like delaying an Audi A8 purchase to see the new A4, or Mercedes S class bc of a new C class.

One is a large luxury executive sedan, the other is for entry level buyers with a tight backseat (comparably).

3. MattMatt

MattMatt Member

I'm not concerned about the M3 itself, I'm more concerned that there will be some form of new S. Drop in price / increased lower capacity / newer features, in an attempt to sell more S's.

4. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

I would certainly wait. There is the possibility of a major announcement that, if nothing else, could be used to get a lower price on the inventory car. At this point you're only talking another couple of days, seems worth it with the number of rumors swirling around like HW2.5 and 85kwhr packs.

• Like x 1
  5. croman

croman Active Member

There will be. Always. Not even tied to the 3. I bought my S in November (delivered Dec 23). It was a HW2 and I figured that was a good time to jump into the Tesla game. You won't ever have a car that is the latest and greatest. I got 6 months and I feel pretty good. Now there is a new drivetrain and it sounds like a new battery That new battery is 85kwh and probably takes a car as far and as fast as your 90D for a starting price of 71.5k. That's just how it goes with Tesla. I've got 255 miles of range but a new 75D might get 290 after a software update (which I'm sure will be priced at $5k). So 77k for a 90D (it even goes 0-60 in .1 faster than a 90D! (4.1 vs. 4.2s).

Just ask yourself if this is something you want to buy and whether the price is fair. Don't think about what Tesla will do. Would I like a battery that is upgradeable beyond 75kwh? Of course. But if I want a new battery, I know I can contact @wk057 and get it. My car is my car. I customized it completely and I will keep it a long while even as it becomes outdated and certainly outclassed by newer and newer model S vehicles with better and better technology. C'est la Tesla vide.

6. overlappedio

overlappedio New Member

I would most definitely wait. According to the Tesla rep I talked to you won't lose your deposit if you apply it to a different car.

7. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Tesla is always making changes. There's always something just around the corner that could give you an excuse to wait. In 2013 I could have had parking sensors and auto folding mirrors if I had waited another month to order. Most owners since then could give you similar stories. If you like the car and the price, buy it, or you'll keep waiting.