Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait on adding AP2 and FSD or you will be sorry...maybe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doing calls in the car or listening to podcasts is a better use of time than standing in a tsa line or being cramped on a regional jet doing short flights.

When on the highway, and especially when following a lead car, AP works great to allow email and other phone tending especially when phone dictation works well through the Bluetooth car microphone. But still have to watch for those partial half in the lane blockages that a lead car might swerve around and similar situations.
Just so I understand, the poster I was responding to said he was typing a message to this board while he was driving on AP. You hit the "disagree" button on my post critical of that decision and added this post, so I guess you are emphatically supporting the idea of typing messages to this board while driving your car? Hopefully neither you nor the other poster drive anywhere near me and your family has lots of life insurance.

says I as I type this while AP2 pilots me down the road

It's sometimes hard to detect humor online, and if I'm missing something please accept my apologies for failing to get the joke....

...but if you're really posting messages here while AP2 is driving then you're putting yourself and others near you on the road at great risk. AP2 is not nearly good enough to drive itself without a constantly vigilant human at the wheel. The time may come when the requirement to remain in control of the car becomes just legal boilerplate, but for now it's very real.

• Love
Reactions: oktane
we have to remember that FSD is not the 'robot car, I can sleep in the back'

You do realize it is called FULL self-drive and not PARTIAL self-drive, right?

Full means I should be able to sleep in the back without any major risk of an accident. The ONLY limiting issue should be legality not functionality. FSD = L5 autopilot. Anything less than L5 is not "full".

Just so I understand, the poster I was responding to said he was typing a message to this board while he was driving on AP. You hit the "disagree" button on my post critical of that decision and added this post, so I guess you are emphatically supporting the idea of typing messages to this board while driving your car? Hopefully neither you nor the other poster drive anywhere near me and your family has lots of life insurance.

I dictate while driving. Rarely need to type.

I disagree that driving medium distances on AP is a waste of time and flying would be more time efficient. Because podcasts and calls. And dictation. And the joy of AP and EVs.

Your characterizations does not match how Tesla does updates. Tesla's releases are not directly the "latest and greatest". There is an extensive amount of in house testing before it is released in the public. For example, from the earnings call in February Elon mentioned he was already driving high speed AP2 3 months ago (around November last year). However, high speed AP2 did not get released until end of March.

And that is for something relatively simple. Something as complex as FSD, I would imagine needs a lot more in house testing before it is going to be ready and thus more lead time.

I have no inside knowledge of how Tesla does updates. Perhaps you do. However, I'm in the software industry. We typically create a beta, that we test, when satisfied we ask the user to test. Wash, raise, and repeat. Seems to me something similar is happening with Tesla. However, as you say, I don't know. What I do know is that I'm not getting what I expected in the time I expected it. Part of this process is managing user expectations. I'm afraid I would need to give Tesla an "F" in this case.

Anyway, I put my money down. Now I just need to wait for the roulette wheel to stop spinning to see if I won or lost. I will say knowing what I know today I would not have bought EAP or FSD. Good lesson for me. Don't buy vaporware.

Reactions: davidc18
You do realize it is called FULL self-drive and not PARTIAL self-drive, right?

Full means I should be able to sleep in the back without any major risk of an accident. The ONLY limiting issue should be legality not functionality. FSD = L5 autopilot. Anything less than L5 is not "full".
You do realize that's not what it says on the webpage for the FSD option we're discussing, right? It describes a long list of elements (navigate stop signs, intersections, etc. whatever the components above EAP are) and each one's availability is subject to separate software availability, testing, etc.

You can call the whole thing Level 5 and I do agree. But Tesla is/will roll out pieces of 'FSD' as they get them completed and get them to work, and we assume this is what Elon means by 'features deviate in the next 3-6 months from EAP', which ends 7/2017.

I am going based on what Elon Musk has stated in public and representations made by salesman in addition to the website and a self explanatory video showing a car driving itself without any human intervention. You are somehow insinuating that their website is somehow a legally binding definition of Full-self-driving.

If I tell you I am selling you a pig, and that it oinks, and that you can make bacon out of it, and email you a pig video, but on my website in small letters I say the pig might not really be a pig and you might get something different, and I deliver you a chicken, do you think I have a sound legal defense?

Is there some obligation to read small print on a website before buying a car?

Tesla is the first car people are buying where upgrades and updates in features and functionality roll out after you buy the car so obviously people are still stuck in the old-car buying mindset where you buy your car and you get everything all at once. I'd say "patience" but that's probably been done to death.

Reactions: bhzmark