Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait or buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I just sold my 2015 P85D with the intention of buying the refreshed Model S. However, I'm not sure if I want to wait another 5-6 months before I own another Tesla. Is it worth waiting for the refresh or should I just buy a 2020/2021?

If I take the latter route, I'm definitely a bit confused on the terminology. What is a Model S Raven? Why do some of the Model S's simply say Dual Motor, while others still say P100D and how can I differentiate between the models? Was there a mid-year refresh in 2020, because I see a lot of cars with the 'new' wheels and others with the old ones.

Thanks!

Dual motor = all wheel drive.

P100D = the P indicates it is a performance model. That means a larger rear motor, faster acceleration, than a "standard" D.

Yes, there was an update mid-way in 2020. The Raven designation refers to the post update which includes a longer range, one of the drive motors being a permanent magnet type like used on the Model 3/Y, and a totally redeveloped air suspension which is supposed to provide greatly improved ride.

Id get brand new at this point. (As much as I never promote brand new due to first 2 year deprecation hit on cars). But with current used market prices and with the new being a refresh with raven, new screen, and new..everything? Id go new long range at 0-60 of 3.1. (no ludicrous type launch waiting needed to achieve that speed either)

Id get brand new at this point. (As much as I never promote brand new due to first 2 year deprecation hit on cars). But with current used market prices and with the new being a refresh with raven, new screen, and new..everything? Id go new long range at 0-60 of 3.1. (no ludicrous type launch waiting needed to achieve that speed either)
The Raven versions also have Adaptive suspension dampening in addition to ride height adjustability. The raven versions also have the restyled interior with teh landscape center screen and rear screen.

They are still selling Model S Plaid with this month delivery on the west coast. They either have massively increased the production capacity, or the demand is not what Elon would like people to believe if they can clear 6 months worth of backorders in 20 days.