TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wait or pull the trigger

Discussion in 'Model S' started by irvineboy, Apr 21, 2015.

1. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

#1 irvineboy, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    I have been on the fence about buying a 2013 P85+
    Even if I price out the 70D, with all the options, it is $97k before credits and rebates.
    The P85+ I have seen is asking for $79k with 9k miles. MSRP is $126k. It has every single option. It doesn't have the power folding side mirrors, which I would have to retrofit for $2000 or so. Those came standard in the 2014 models.
    However, this car does not have autopilot. My understanding is the later 2014 models have it as part of the technology package. Should I wait a year or pull the trigger? For those who have sold their previous P85 for a new one with the autopilot, were you happy with your decision?

2. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Test drive a car with auto pilot and see if it's something you'd want. I think for driving a lot on the highways in California where you are it's something you'd probably want. Where I drive, I woudn't use it very much but would still like to have it. But if price is an issue, and you won't use autopilot very much, the price for that P85+ sure looks good.

3. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

Add sales tax to both choices......and check the difference in insurance rates. I look at AP this way......nice to have.... but i have been driving 50 years without it with no issues.

4. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

I vote 70D! But if you look at my signature, you might see I'm a little biased!

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I think getting a car with autopilot would be nice. Maybe delaying your purchase a few months to save up might be an option as you said. Is the range on the 70D sufficient for you?

6. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

Range on the 70D is ok. I was more concerned with performance and the 0-60 of the P85 + (4.4 seconds) vs the 70D (5.2 seconds).
    Someone mentioned the suspension of the older P98 + vs the new 70D is completely different too. Not sure if that is true of the 85D and P85D. Stiffer or less stiff compared to the older cars?