Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait.. There is no garage door opener in Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Completely agree...my 2018 model 3 came with this and now it's an aftermarket add on? This has never made sense to me.

How much did you pay for your car in 2018 and how does the price compare now? Serious question because the performance model 3 has decreased drastically in price. I rented a 2018 performance on Turo and the owner said he paid $72k+ for his car and you can buy it for less than $60k now. Even with FSD its still several thousand cheaper.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
It's not an aftermarket add on from a 3rd party. It is an OEM part installed by a Tesla service technician. My May 2019 build LR AWD came with it from the factory, and then they made it optional/installed later.

I like it a lot. I would pay the $300, it's worth it. It's the easiest Homelink system to configure I've ever used (have had multiple cars with it over the years) and the GPS based automatic operation is great. The interface steps you through setting it up much better than most other cars where you have to dig up the owner's manual and press some buttons in just the right way.

You can also control it from the Tesla app.

How much did you pay for your car in 2018 and how does the price compare now? Serious question because the performance model 3 has decreased drastically in price. I rented a 2018 performance on Turo and the owner said he paid $72k+ for his car and you can buy it for less than $60k now. Even with FSD its still several thousand cheaper.

It's really not.

2018 P buyers got a $7500 tax credit, and a $5000 refund for giving up FUSC. Making that 72k car...less than 60k. And they got about $500 in hardware the new cars didn't (14-50 adapter, home link, phone cables, even frunk hooks)

Depending on exact config of any model 3 (mainly wheels and color) the cars are about the same, or sometimes slightly more or less, than in 2018.

Anyway- the reason most have suggested for taking it out of the factory is the folks who own homelink charge the car maker a license fee for EVERY car they make with it at the factory.

And Tesla (presumably) has data on how much of the fleet actually uses it.

And found it was a high enough % of folks that didn't they felt it worth pulling that cost out of the car and then offering it post-delivery so only those who actually want/need it have to pay for it.

Likewise removing the 14-50, which they previously had to pay to put in all cars but wasn't especially useful to everyone who uses a wall charger or some other EVSE they already own, or anything other than a 14-50 socket. Again those who need it can buy it from Tesla.

• Informative
$300 includes labor. At Tesla's labor rate of $175/hr that's under 2 hr including travel. So obviously it's a money loser.
Why do it then? I'm guessing it's a tech support nightmare. Something as simple as a LED light can blind a Homelink.
Even Aston Martin removed Homelink at a point, as did most of GM for awhile.

EDIT - interesting 2018 edit by Homelink terms of service:

"By accessing or using HomeLink Connect, you agree to these Terms, including, where permitted by applicable law, the mandatory arbitration provision and class action waiver in Section 13. If you do not agree to these Terms, do not use our Services."

Somebody tried to sue Homelink out of existence?

Last edited:
  • Informative

I paid $72k in 2018 but I got back $10k in tax credits and it had Free SuperCharging which I got $5K refund on. And it was way cheaper for EAP+FSD back then and it included the HomeLink.

I think it would be cheaper for them to install hardware at the factory and enable it as a software option you can order on your mobile app.

That owner also got 7500 tax credit, and people now get none. People always confuse this. Is the car cheaper now? Yes, Is it 12k cheaper?

Also, that 72k Price is a car with EAP, so to compare pricing now, you would have to compare the price of a car with FSD, so NO its NOT "72k Vs under 60K" . Its 71,500k - 7500 vs 64,990 -0 right now (I have a 2018 Model 3P, so I know exactly what they cost, and what credits I got).

Its a little cheaper now, relatively speaking, its not 12k and people need to stop perpetuating these false statements of 12k differences cause it aint, for the same trim and options.

I paid $72k in 2018 but I got back $10k in tax credits and it had Free SuperCharging which I got $5K refund on. And it was way cheaper for EAP+FSD back then and it included the HomeLink.

I think it would be cheaper for them to install hardware at the factory and enable it as a software option you can order on your mobile app.

I am fairly certain they have to pay a license for it, for each install, so they would be paying the license if it was installed even if it wasnt activated.

on thread topic, they should have just increased the price 300 and left it in the car, OR make it click orderable for an additional fee and installed on delivery. I dont have a problem with them charging 300 for it, what is "dumb" is them forcing it to be an "after delivery" install.

I am fairly certain they have to pay a license for it, for each install, so they would be paying the license if it was installed even if it wasnt activated.

on thread topic, they should have just increased the price 300 and left it in the car, OR make it click orderable for an additional fee and installed on delivery. I dont have a problem with them charging 300 for it, what is "dumb" is them forcing it to be an "after delivery" install.

Tesla does cars in batches- having to add HL hardware or not per-car at the factory would be another layer of complexity they're clearly not interested in.

That owner also got 7500 tax credit, and people now get none. People always confuse this. Is the car cheaper now? Yes, Is it 12k cheaper?

Also, that 72k Price is a car with EAP, so to compare pricing now, you would have to compare the price of a car with FSD, so NO its NOT "72k Vs under 60K" . Its 71,500k - 7500 vs 64,990 -0 right now

You forgot the $5000 FUSC refund the 72k buyer had the chance to get (granted the owner could've refused the refund, but that means he kept FUSC that new buyers don't get AND he valued that more than 5k)

As I said, prices are basically the same today, or within a couple K depending on color/wheel options and such.

Tesla does cars in batches- having to add HL hardware or not per-car at the factory would be another layer of complexity they're clearly not interested in.

You forgot the $5000 FUSC refund the 72k buyer had the chance to get (granted the owner could've refused the refund, but that means he kept FUSC that new buyers don't get AND he valued that more than 5k)

As I said, prices are basically the same today, or within a couple K depending on color/wheel options and such.

When I purchased my car in 2018 (december) tesla had already stopped up charging for the performance package, and there was no free unlimited supercharging available on my vin. That stopped at the end of Q3 I think, My car was 71,500 (M3P, Blue with Black interior, AP + EAP). I got 7,500 tax credit (not counting the state and local credits because most of those are still available).

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo
When I purchased my car in 2018 (december) tesla had already stopped up charging for the performance package, and there was no free unlimited supercharging available on my vin. That stopped at the end of Q3 I think, My car was 71,500 (M3P, Blue with Black interior, AP + EAP). I got 7,500 tax credit (not counting the state and local credits because most of those are still available).

Do you mean EAP+FSD? Because basic AP wasn't a thing in 2018.

64k was the base price of the P3D+ in 2018 (either as 69k and later a 5k refund during the time they offered it, or 64k flat after since the PuP was now "free")

It's $56,990 today for a base P3D+

So ~7k "cheaper" today, but no $7500 tax credit.

EAP+FSD was 8k in 2018, today AP(free)+FSD is 7k.

So the P3D+ is $500 "cheaper" today based on that...

Until you realize there's ~$500 in HW missing. The 14-50 adapter, homelink, phone cables, frunk hooks, mats, etc.

So....as I said- price is basically identical today to 2018 outside of color choices if you add FSD to both... actually cheaper for the 2018 otherwise... (a small # of folks also got free lifetime connectivity but probably not worth bringing that into the math as it ended July 1, 2018)

• Informative
Reactions: Sherlo