Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait.. There is no garage door opener in Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am fairly certain they have to pay a license for it, for each install, so they would be paying the license if it was installed even if it wasnt activated.

on thread topic, they should have just increased the price 300 and left it in the car, OR make it click orderable for an additional fee and installed on delivery. I dont have a problem with them charging 300 for it, what is "dumb" is them forcing it to be an "after delivery" install.

It appears to be included in the Model Y (unless it's a current ordering web page typo), S and X. They could probably arrange paying for a license when it's enabled. HomeLink would be a Win Win if they allowed them to do what I suggested. Assuming there is a license fee involved. If it's super easy, via your phone click I think that would maximize sales of HomeLinks (enabled).

It appears to be included in the Model Y (unless it's a current ordering web page typo), S and X. They could probably arrange paying for a license when it's enabled. HomeLink would be a Win Win if they allowed them to do what I suggested. Assuming there is a license fee involved. If it's super easy, via your phone click I think that would maximize sales of HomeLinks (enabled).

AFAIK Homelink charges a license fee if you install the hardware at the factory.

They don't care what you, or Tesla, do with software.

It wouldn't be surprising if initial Ys come with it- since initial Ys will all be the higher-end configs with more profit built in. I expect once it'd require them doing more work on the line to build homelink vs. non-homelink cars with cheaper models they'll drop it as they did on the 3. Then again it wouldn't be surprising if Tesla just forgot to update the website and it won't come with it at all.

And S/X obviously have WAY more profit built into em to cover a license fee.

Reactions: Sherlo
Use the $300 towards a new garage opener that has WiFi and even a security camera and you can use an app on your phone to control the garage door from anywhere.

Not the same. I have one of those garage door openers. First off using an app on your phone while driving isn't easy. Second when you close the garage via the app it first beeps for like 15-20 seconds to warn anyone that might be in the way that it's about to close before actually closing.

The Tesla solution is super convenient. You pull out of the driveway and it just closes. You pull in and it just opens. You don't even have to push a button. Only downside is that it's "dumb" so it doesn't know the current state of the garage. So if it's already open when you pull up it'll close. But that's pretty rare and only happens to me on rare occasion me and my wife get home at the same time and she's already opened it before I pull up. But it does give you a count down warning on the screen so you have a few seconds to cancel if you know this is going to happen.

My routine once I get in the garage is I double check the rear camera to make sure I'm in all the way, then I hit the green home button on the screen and it closes the door. If I forget I just hit the button on the wall as I'm walking in the house.

Getting it installed wasn't that hard. They had a mobile tech do it. And they have a way to do it now without completely removing the bumper. They just loosen the bumper and remove some of the trim in the frunk and they can get to the bracket. Took like 40 minutes.

Reactions: arghx7
Not the same. I have one of those garage door openers. First off using an app on your phone while driving isn't easy. Second when you close the garage via the app it first beeps for like 15-20 seconds to warn anyone that might be in the way that it's about to close before actually closing.

The Tesla solution is super convenient. You pull out of the driveway and it just closes. You pull in and it just opens. You don't even have to push a button. Only downside is that it's "dumb" so it doesn't know the current state of the garage. So if it's already open when you pull up it'll close. But that's pretty rare and only happens to me on rare occasion me and my wife get home at the same time and she's already opened it before I pull up. But it does give you a count down warning on the screen so you have a few seconds to cancel if you know this is going to happen.

My routine once I get in the garage is I double check the rear camera to make sure I'm in all the way, then I hit the green home button on the screen and it closes the door. If I forget I just hit the button on the wall as I'm walking in the house.

Getting it installed wasn't that hard. They had a mobile tech do it. And they have a way to do it now without completely removing the bumper. They just loosen the bumper and remove some of the trim in the frunk and they can get to the bracket. Took like 40 minutes.

I hear you. My car came with the Homelink and Tesla does a nice job of integrating it into their software but if it didn't have it I would rather get a brand new Wifi based opener with new track, sensors, etc. installed for about $400. The smartphone app while a little annoying to have to use your phone has a lot more programmability. First, you can get the state of the garage door (open or closed and how long) and you can open or close it from anywhere which may be convenient in certain use cases. You can also program it on a schedule or program it to close after a certain time of day (in case you forgot to close it). You just get a lot more for your money than Homelink and you get a new fancy garage door opener if you could use one.

Some of these new openers have included cameras with motion detection and recording as well as Amazon Key support so they can put your packages in the garage when not home.

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 7.48.36 PM.png

These smart openers beep loudly and flash the light for five seconds every time you ask it to close via the wifi interface. Gets old fast. Just close!

They close immediately and quietly using the clicker remote or homelink.

It is just a safety feature since the door can be closed from anywhere with no one around to supervise. You get feedback and alerts from the app if you need them. Also, if you were in a hurry one day and forgot to close it, you can do so remotely.

So if it's already open when you pull up it'll close. But that's pretty rare and only happens to me on rare occasion me and my wife get home at the same time and she's already opened it before I pull up. But it does give you a count down warning on the screen so you have a few seconds to cancel if you know this is going to happen.

That ended up being the reason I had to shutoff the auto mode. Picture this...arrive home when wife was unloading groceries and her hatchback was open. My car triggered the the close and garage door (closing) hits her hatchback while she is under it. Hatchback goes into auto close and she is trapped underneath. Yep, I was in the doghouse :(

It is just a safety feature since the door can be closed from anywhere with no one around to supervise. You get feedback and alerts from the app if you need them. Also, if you were in a hurry one day and forgot to close it, you can do so remotely.

Yep, I know. It's handy from time to time when I'm not in my car and don't have a clicker handy.

I find the delay and noise annoying and it would drive me crazy if I had to deal with it every time I leave the house.

I hear you. My car came with the Homelink and Tesla does a nice job of integrating it into their software but if it didn't have it I would rather get a brand new Wifi based opener with new track, sensors, etc. installed for about $400. The smartphone app while a little annoying to have to use your phone has a lot more programmability. First, you can get the state of the garage door (open or closed and how long) and you can open or close it from anywhere which may be convenient in certain use cases. You can also program it on a schedule or program it to close after a certain time of day (in case you forgot to close it). You just get a lot more for your money than Homelink and you get a new fancy garage door opener if you could use one.

Some of these new openers have included cameras with motion detection and recording as well as Amazon Key support so they can put your packages in the garage when not home.

View attachment 505307

I have both. The Tesla system works better

I have both. The Tesla system works better

I have both as well (the garage door opener mentioned, and Homelink in my tesla (and in my wifes BMW). The only time we use the Garage door opener APP (the liftmaster one), is when either of us have loaner cars. We have the "clickers" but they live in a "junk drawer" in the house, as we have not used them ourselves in years, except to program the in car openers.

Its convenient having the app to be able to open the door in a pinch (like in a loaner car, or someone picked you up and dropped you off at home, etc etc) but I would not want to use it for daily use for the reasons specified. Its too slow. @firstworldproblems for sure.

Yeah. It's more convenient for those times when you drive away and think "oh sh*t, did I forget to close the garage". You can double check from the app without having to turn around and go look. Although with the Tesla that's even less of an issue as it closes automatically as soon as I pull out of my driveway.