Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait time for new X is >1 year, but lease is coming up...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My lease comes up in December of 2022. I'd like to upgrade to a new MX, but when I checked on delivery times just now, it says January 2023.

Can I order a new one now, in the hope that there won't be too much of a gap between when my lease ends (12/20 I think) and when I get the new MX? Would Tesla extend the lease on my existing MX until the new one has been delivered?

My lease comes up in December of 2022. I'd like to upgrade to a new MX, but when I checked on delivery times just now, it says January 2023.

Can I order a new one now, in the hope that there won't be too much of a gap between when my lease ends (12/20 I think) and when I get the new MX? Would Tesla extend the lease on my existing MX until the new one has been delivered?
Tesla will do lease extensions on a month-to-month basis. When I wanted to do it they said there was a 6-month limit, but that was before the parts shortages, etc. Hopefully, they are being more flexible these days.

Also, it may be better financially to buy out the lease and drive the car until the new one arrives, and then sell it. Some used cars are selling for more than new ones these days. And many are selling for more than the lease buyout. I sure wish I bought my X instead of turning it in last May.

Tesla will do lease extensions on a month-to-month basis. When I wanted to do it they said there was a 6-month limit, but that was before the parts shortages, etc. Hopefully, they are being more flexible these days.

Also, it may be better financially to buy out the lease and drive the car until the new one arrives, and then sell it. Some used cars are selling for more than new ones these days.
That's a good point. In fact, a friend of mine just told me yesterday that she sold her MX for $10k more than she bought it for new a year ago—which seems crazy! I guess there are enough people that want a Tesla/MX and are willing to pay a premium rather than wait a year.

Reactions: jboy210
That's a good point. In fact, a friend of mine just told me yesterday that she sold her MX for $10k more than she bought it for new a year ago—which seems crazy! I guess there are enough people that want a Tesla/MX and are willing to pay a premium rather than wait a year.
Yes, people are making a lot on used cars. And with the year wait for a car, it is worth the price difference for a lot of buyers.

That's why we sold our X out of our lease and moved on from Tesla all together... Can't buy the cars if they don't exist.

Jeff
I've decided to move on too, but mostly because of the terrible service. I have a Rivian R1S on order to replace the Model X. And I just ordered a Porsche Cayenne e-Hybrid to replace our Range Rover Sport. It will likely take just as long to get my Cayenne as it would to get a Model X, but the Porsche dealer provides far better service, and I'm more excited about that vehicle anyhow. Aside from the incredible performance and long battery range, I've been disappointed and underwhelmed by everything else about Tesla (interior, exterior, service, etc.).

Reactions: jeffro01
I've decided to move on too, but mostly because of the terrible service. I have a Rivian R1S on order to replace the Model X. And I just ordered a Porsche Cayenne e-Hybrid to replace our Range Rover Sport. It will likely take just as long to get my Cayenne as it would to get a Model X, but the Porsche dealer provides far better service, and I'm more excited about that vehicle anyhow. Aside from the incredible performance and long battery range, I've been disappointed and underwhelmed by everything else about Tesla (interior, exterior, service, etc.).
Same here... As I tell anyone who asks, "amazing cars, absolutely horrible company and customer experience"... What still blows me away though, after being inactive here since August, I STILL am reading the "yeah delivery sucked, delivery quality sucked, but I'm so blown away by the car this is the most amazing thing ever" posts... Clearly Tesla still has a large enough pool of customers who will drink the kool-aid without question... So long as that stays like that, Tesla has absolutely zero incentive to be better at anything.

Jeff

Reactions: badlydrawnboy
I originally was going to replace my Bolt EV with the Model S refresh, but I'll be honest I don't like this no button mentality. After a year of hemming and hawing about it I have an e-tron S on the way. We will replace the X with a Rivian R1S to follow the next year.

I tried out the FSD subscription on a 2200 mile roadtrip, I'm shocked people who don't have the beta haven't sued for how awful it behaved. Tried to lane change me into the back of semi's all the time, it'd pass the slow car behind the semi and then try to lane change back inbetween the car and the semi. I tried adjusting the behavior but couldn't make that stop.

combined with the winter update completely goofing up the bottom menu I'm out. I have loved the car but I guess the honeymoon is over. I've had limited service interactions and the mobile service has been great for me.

The biggest insult is the price increase. 125k for 25 more kWh battery for the six seater? yikes.

Reactions: badlydrawnboy