Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait times are killing me!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm currently carless, ordered a Model S Long Range and delivery date keeps getting pushed back, now August-October! I've been researching purchasing used, but 95% of the Model S's I see are Plaids, and I don't want to pay the $30k premium for a car I don't want. I also don't trust Carvana/Vroom with a six figure car. Tesla has slightly used Model S's but they're all plaid with self-driving enabled (consider this a waste of $12k).

Anyone have any advice on how to get a new or slightly used Model S sooner? I'm now considering buying a Model 3 simply because I can get it within a few weeks.

If buying from Tesla, even if used, you can probably get FSD removed.

Seems folks with good communication with a good SA can get cars quicker that are flexible on config and willing to move quick. Need to be careful that it’s not a reject vs a cancel. Watch the build dates closely if you go that route.

I'm currently carless, ordered a Model S Long Range and delivery date keeps getting pushed back, now August-October! I've been researching purchasing used, but 95% of the Model S's I see are Plaids, and I don't want to pay the $30k premium for a car I don't want. I also don't trust Carvana/Vroom with a six figure car. Tesla has slightly used Model S's but they're all plaid with self-driving enabled (consider this a waste of $12k).

Anyone have any advice on how to get a new or slightly used Model S sooner? I'm now considering buying a Model 3 simply because I can get it within a few weeks.

Ha ha ha ha, you should audition for SNL writer! ;)

I'm showing June - August for new Model 3 deliveries. Are you getting a different estimate?

Aug-Oct? When did you place your order? I'd be leery of Carvana/Vroom because you'd be buying it sight unseen. However Carmax usually has late model Teslas available. Balance of factory warranty plus 30 day return policy. Of course, most late model used Teslas are selling for the same, if not more, than new Teslas. Plus, you wouldn't qualify for any tax incentives your state may offer. Totally understand, waiting is the hardest part. I'm waiting on an S as well. This will be our third Tesla, never gets easier! Good luck.

Aug-Oct? When did you place your order? I'd be leery of Carvana/Vroom because you'd be buying it sight unseen. However Carmax usually has late model Teslas available. Balance of factory warranty plus 30 day return policy. Of course, most late model used Teslas are selling for the same, if not more, than new Teslas. Plus, you wouldn't qualify for any tax incentives your state may offer. Totally understand, waiting is the hardest part. I'm waiting on an S as well. This will be our third Tesla, never gets easier! Good luck.
About a month ago I placed it. I am thinking of just buying a M3LR, as I see them for sale for ~list price with <5k miles. If I feel the need for a Model S I can always upgrade later

If you REALLY want a Model S? Getting a Model 3 will end up in regret later, because you will then really want..what you really wanted.

Order the LR, in the exact color/exact config you want, and keep checking the inventory page and be patient. Took me a few months for it to come in but Im 100% glad I did. (especially since I ordered before $20k in price hikes post-order)