Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait times at Super chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m taking several long trips beginning in a few weeks. Fl. to KY. And FL. to MN. Is there usually a wait time for a super charger?

I've made probably 150 supercharger visits the past year and a half and only waited a minute or two on one occasion. It's a regional thing and some areas are more busy than others.

I've also only experienced a few broken stalls. It's a quick move to a new stall and restart the charging session.

However! There is a difference between version 2 and version 3 superchargers. Version 2 are slower, and the stalls are paired onto single charging hardware. So you'll want to make sure you have one to yourself or it'll be slow. Version 3 are the new/current version and they're much faster and don't share any equipment.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I've made probably 150 supercharger visits the past year and a half and only waited a minute or two on one occasion. It's a regional thing and some areas are more busy than others.

I've also only experienced a few broken stalls. It's a quick move to a new stall and restart the charging session.

However! There is a difference between version 2 and version 3 superchargers. Version 2 are slower, and the stalls are paired onto single charging hardware. So you'll want to make sure you have one to yourself or it'll be slow. Version 3 are the new/current version and they're much faster and don't share any equipment.
I was talking to a Tesla employee today, while he was installing a new V3 charger and he said to still alternate parking spaces if possible, so you don’t slow the charge rate down.

I was talking to a Tesla employee today, while he was installing a new V3 charger and he said to still alternate parking spaces if possible, so you don’t slow the charge rate down.
This doesn't apply to V3 sites nor does it always work with V2 sites since paired stalls are not always next to each other. You need to look at the stall numbers and not pair up with someone using the same number.

This doesn't apply to V3 sites nor does it always work with V2 sites since paired stalls are not always next to each other. You need to look at the stall numbers and not pair up with someone using the same number.

It is a good point to always check the numbering at V2 sites. Most are 1A/1B, 2A/2B, and so on. However a few are 1A/2A/3A/..., then 1B/2B/3B/... Springfield Oregon comes to mind as an example of the latter. Seems like almost every time I charge there, someone will pull into the stall I'm shared with - even though other non-shared stalls are available. I then end up showing the numbering and explaining the whole paired stall thing. Can't wait for the Harrisburg OR Supercharger to come on line so I can avoid Springfield on my trips along I-5.

It is a good point to always check the numbering at V2 sites. Most are 1A/1B, 2A/2B, and so on. However a few are 1A/2A/3A/..., then 1B/2B/3B/... Springfield Oregon comes to mind as an example of the latter. Seems like almost every time I charge there, someone will pull into the stall I'm shared with - even though other non-shared stalls are available. I then end up showing the numbering and explaining the whole paired stall thing. Can't wait for the Harrisburg OR Supercharger to come on line so I can avoid Springfield on my trips along I-5.

Yep. I feel like I've experienced that somewhere on the east coast as well.

Additionally, I was at a Supercharger where there were two rows of stalls back to back and the paired stalls were "butt to butt" with each other.

I really wish they'd include some kind of stall recommendation when navigating to a Supercharger. It could expedite V2 charging quite a lot. I recently charged in Springfield, MO and when I pulled in there was one car in each of their paired stalls. I picked one that shared with a car that didn't have a driver so I wouldn't have to avoid eye contact. As I sat back down in my car two of the other drivers got out of their cars to unplug and leave. That would have been nice to know before I wasted time parking and plugging in.

I’m taking several long trips beginning in a few weeks. Fl. to KY. And FL. to MN. Is there usually a wait time for a super charger?
Most of my 150,000 miles have been FL-OH. I've never had to wait at any of the charging stops you might be using. In the midwest I've only ever waited once in the Chicago area (for about 5 minutes). In Melbourne,FL I saw a wait only once when Elon was in town and SpaceX was doing something. Since then, a couple new chargers have opened in the area.

Last edited:
Most of my 150,000 miles have been FL-OH. I've never had to wait at any of the charging stops you might be using. In the midwest I've only ever waited once in the Chicago area (for about 5 minutes). In Melbourne,FL I saw a wait only once when Elon was in town and SpaceX was doing something. Since then, a couple new chargers have opened in the area.

The only place I've had to wait is Memphis. There is a permit for a new location there as well. Hopefully by the end of the year it will be online.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Your Tesla will show the map and you can see if there are waits at chargers. Or if there is only 1 charger marked available, there may be a wait at that charger because you are seeing it when swapping out a car. Tesla tries to estimate a wait. The main sources of waits I have seen are:
  • Urban chargers where people who can't charge at home/work are using superchargers as their main charging source. A bad thing to do, but the only option for people in that position.
  • Chargers along popular road trip routes about 200 miles from a big town, in late morning -- everybody who set off in the morning for a road trip from this town along that route needs a charge at the same time, particularly on weekends. Ditto Friday night "vacation home" rush.
  • Places Tesla just put in too few chargers
  • Super heavy travel days (like Thanksgiving Wed and Sunday.)
More often I see chargers that are quite empty. Of course with V2 stations you want as others have said to get a charger that is half full or less, to assure you can always find an empty pair. If you can't find an empty pair, your goal is to find the car that has been there the longest and pair with it. I wish Tesla showed me which car that was on the screen.

It is a good point to always check the numbering at V2 sites. Most are 1A/1B, 2A/2B, and so on. However a few are 1A/2A/3A/..., then 1B/2B/3B/... Springfield Oregon comes to mind as an example of the latter...

I noticed this numbering scheme at the Columbus, TX, supercharger west of Houston. (Shameless plug: I thought it was so weird, I included it in my road trip video, at 3:04 here,
)

As far as waiting, outside of California, the only superchargers I've had to wait at were:
  • Buford, GA
  • Lake Charles, LA (because multiple stalls were offline)
  • Raleigh, NC

Reactions: wws
I noticed this numbering scheme at the Columbus, TX, supercharger west of Houston. (Shameless plug: I thought it was so weird, I included it in my road trip video.
I believe the original Superchargers were numbered this way. Maumee, OH is even a bit wierder as it started out with 6 spots 1A,2A,3A,1B,2B,3B.
Several years ago they added two new spots which just became 4A/B.

Reactions: vanjwilson
Yep, makes sense. Hardly anyone is using any of the EA chargers. Besides, in the Glendale area, EA chargers are at grocery stores or shopping centers where there are other useful things one often needs to do nearby while charging.
Personally, I don't care since I charge at home or work and only use public chargers when on the road where lines are only an issue when visiting folks or places that don't have charging in urban areas.

I'm thinking about using non Tesla chargers only because of availability now.
I would think twice about that. Watch a few videos about people that try and travel on EA chargers. Many are broken, slow, or take a long time to start charging. They don’t have any incentive to keep them working at peak performance since it was just a punishment for Volkswagen to install them after “DieselGate”. Long distance travel is one of the main reasons we bought a second Tesla instead of a MachE.

Reactions: superblast
I would think twice about that. Watch a few videos about people that try and travel on EA chargers. Many are broken, slow, or take a long time to start charging. They don’t have any incentive to keep them working at peak performance since it was just a punishment for Volkswagen to install them after “DieselGate”. Long distance travel is one of the main reasons we bought a second Tesla instead of a MachE.
EA has now being doing contracts with various car OEMs to provide things like "free charging for 3 years" at EA to try to match Tesla's original offer of free supercharging (now gone.) Nissan also offered free charging with the car but of course those 100 mile range Leafs were not suitable for road trips.

However, now that EA is in the business of selling charging subscriptions via OEMs (and possibly on its own) they will have a harder time having sucky maintenance. EA doesn't get that upset of a random driver has trouble charging (or a long wait) because of dead chargers, but the maker of the car won't want complaints from their customer quite so much. "You sold me charging and it doesn't work!"

Though unlike the other networks like EVgo, EA seems to try to make bigger stations with 6 or 8 units. Those (like Tesla SC) are much more tolerant of broken chargers. At worst they make the line a bit longer if you get a line (which you don't seem to much at EA.) A broken charger at a solo or duo charger is a much bigger deal.