Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait times for Solar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dont have any idea either myself, but with that being said...

High Gas prices (In CA premium unleaded is over $6.00 a gallon this morning) = People looking at alternative transportation. Previously, when gas prices got high, people would start dumping their gas guzzler cars and trying to buy econobox fuel efficient cars. At this point in time, there are enough Tesla vehicles on the road for "average joe / joan" to not feel like there is something "risky" about looking at an EV.

So, TL ; DR on that = High gas prices = People looking at / buying more EVs, and Tesla is the #1 EV vehicle brand.

When people look at EVs, they also start looking at "wow solar makes sense now, I can get gas from the sun!"

TL ; DR on all this...

High Gas prices = More EVs sold
More EVs sold = more people purchasing solar

I would imagine that all solar companies are seeing a spike in interest, especially Tesla. I imagine their wait list is growing weeks, by the hour.

High Gas prices (In CA premium unleaded is over $6.00 a gallon this morning) = People looking at alternative transportation. Previously, when gas prices got high, people would start dumping their gas guzzler cars and trying to buy econobox fuel efficient cars. At this point in time, there are enough Tesla vehicles on the road for "average joe / joan" to not feel like there is something "risky" about looking at an EV.

So, TL ; DR on that = High gas prices = People looking at / buying more EVs, and Tesla is the #1 EV vehicle brand.

When people look at EVs, they also start looking at "wow solar makes sense now, I can get gas from the sun!"

TL ; DR on all this...

I would imagine that all solar companies are seeing a spike in interest, especially Tesla. I imagine their wait list is growing weeks, by the hour.
As one who works for a good-sized PV and PW installation company, many people are looking for a system under NEM 2.0. We had about a 6 month backlog for Powerwall installations in November last year, and are still about 2-3 months out for PV only installations. PV+PW installations are a month or sometimes two longer than a PV only job.

As one who works for a good-sized PV and PW installation company, many people are looking for a system under NEM 2.0. We had about a 6 month backlog for Powerwall installations in November last year, and are still about 2-3 months out for PV only installations. PV+PW installations are a month or sometimes two longer than a PV only job.

Interesting perspective. I also consider the company you work for a more "high touch / high customer service" company, not necessarily looking for volume of jobs, unlike Tesla which is the exact opposite (looking for high volume low touch, low customer service needs). Since they are chasing volume, I imagine their backlog is longer than yours, and its not like yours is "small" (lol).

• Informative
Reactions: h2ofun and Vines

TL ; DR on all this...

That even applies to me. I planned on electric usage increases but it was selling my P85D with FUSC and ordering a Plaid X without free supercharging that pushed me over the edge to order more solar.

My Plaid is still EDD October. Hopefully, everything lines up and I get solar towards the end of the year. If they actually came out to install it now, I'd just produce electricity that I'll never use since my current system produces a fraction more than I actually use. But I'm in the process of switching out propane water heater and propane house heating to heat pumps. The new X and the appliances switchovers will all take place over a year or so. I might get the first heatpump system installed late spring but that will actually result in a reduction of AC usage this summer so that first upgrade will reduce electricity in the short run.

The only thing I really care about is getting the X and the solar at the locked in purchase agreement prices but if inflation continues to skyrocket, I imagine Tesla might start breaking contracts because they'll basically be losing money.

The solar order is $1.51 / watt after the 26% and $750 ca rebate so basically what I paid in late 2020 for my 8.16 kw system. Prices had gone up at one point. Not sure why they came back down with such a backlog of orders.

The price is barely more than the capital costs if I'd ordered the system myself and self installed.

Reactions: preilly44
I'm in Texas. Agreement signed 27 Jul 2021, install is scheduled for 11 Apr 2022. 258 days. In the process my original PA quit. He actually communicated well. My replacement PA is radio silent. There was a long delay is sending the design to the city to get a permit. But less than a month to go. I'm still not sure if they will install a new Backup Switch or a Gateway 2. My co-worker had his installed about 2 months ago. They originally told him he'd get a Backup Switch but on installation day was told the BS failed its test and they had no others in the warehouse. Sounds suspicious. Eventually they cam back and installed a GW2 and he was up and running. Not sure I trust the Backup Switch and especially worried if it fails, am I removed from the grid? And who is going to come out and fix it? I'd probably wait a month for Tesla to come out.

That even applies to me. I planned on electric usage increases but it was selling my P85D with FUSC and ordering a Plaid X without free supercharging that pushed me over the edge to order more solar.

My Plaid is still EDD October. Hopefully, everything lines up and I get solar towards the end of the year. If they actually came out to install it now, I'd just produce electricity that I'll never use since my current system produces a fraction more than I actually use. But I'm in the process of switching out propane water heater and propane house heating to heat pumps. The new X and the appliances switchovers will all take place over a year or so. I might get the first heatpump system installed late spring but that will actually result in a reduction of AC usage this summer so that first upgrade will reduce electricity in the short run.

The only thing I really care about is getting the X and the solar at the locked in purchase agreement prices but if inflation continues to skyrocket, I imagine Tesla might start breaking contracts because they'll basically be losing money.

The solar order is $1.51 / watt after the 26% and $750 ca rebate so basically what I paid in late 2020 for my 8.16 kw system. Prices had gone up at one point. Not sure why they came back down with such a backlog of orders.

The price is barely more than the capital costs if I'd ordered the system myself and self installed.
Your last line would like explain the delays. They are slammed with orders because the price is good. And in terms of priority my guess is an expansion is behind new installs.

I’m assuming if we signed all the contracts and installment plan (we only put down 50% for now), that they are going to honor that pricing? We have just been waiting on an install day in May 2022 that was schedule 1-2 months ago.

Good question. When I ordered my Model 3, they honored my original purchase price despite the fact that they raised pricing for new orders prior to me taking delivery. Hopefully, Solar is handled the same way.

Tim

Reactions: travwill
I'm in Texas. Agreement signed 27 Jul 2021, install is scheduled for 11 Apr 2022. 258 days. In the process my original PA quit. He actually communicated well. My replacement PA is radio silent. There was a long delay is sending the design to the city to get a permit. But less than a month to go. I'm still not sure if they will install a new Backup Switch or a Gateway 2. My co-worker had his installed about 2 months ago. They originally told him he'd get a Backup Switch but on installation day was told the BS failed its test and they had no others in the warehouse. Sounds suspicious. Eventually they cam back and installed a GW2 and he was up and running. Not sure I trust the Backup Switch and especially worried if it fails, am I removed from the grid? And who is going to come out and fix it? I'd probably wait a month for Tesla to come out.
I just got an updated 3-line diagram. The Backup Switch has been replaced by a Gateway 2. To me this is actually better. My 425W T425S panels have been replaced by more T400H panels. These are slightly smaller in length, produce 25 watts less power per panel, but I have more panels and slightly more power output. These newer panels seem just slightly better than the 425's. They seem to be made by Q-Cell from South Korea.

I just got an updated 3-line diagram. The Backup Switch has been replaced by a Gateway 2. To me this is actually better. My 425W T425S panels have been replaced by more T400H panels. These are slightly smaller in length, produce 25 watts less power per panel, but I have more panels and slightly more power output. These newer panels seem just slightly better than the 425's. They seem to be made by Q-Cell from South Korea.

Interesting. Mine started with T400H panels, but I still show a backup switch. Will come back and update if I see the same change.

Tim

Slightly related.
Started with 9.4kWdc 8 years ago using 305 Canadian Solar panels. Local utility is on the warpath against net metering and our bill has steadily been rising (more driving on two cars and increased rates) so I looked into changing the panels and micro-inverters.

Found 10.75kWdc moving from 31 previous panels to 28 of the newer design. Area per panel is slightly more. New IQ8 micro-inverters from Enphase are impressive. It nets out to slightly over $1/W with me doing the swap out. This will remove the rest of my monthly bill and reset the 1% per year panel degradation schedule. Payback, like the original owner/builder install, is under five years no cost of money. Solar works in S. FL!

All of this is without selling the system coming off the roof. I made the call two weeks ago and already have panels and inverters in my garage. In my case, it is not a material supply issue.

Going back to @sorka's question. I was talking to some guys from the local Tesla solar team on Wednesday. They said that they are extremely backed up. They have well over 130 pending installs and are trying to pull in people from other areas to try to reduce the backlog. But teams throughout Tesla solar are also backlogged.