Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait times for Solar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, neighbor went with Sunrun (no batteries) and it was like 30 days from order to install.

Batteries slow things down so much lol. Between the supply chain issues, 36" rule, bollards, skylight setbacks, shear walls, MSP replacements, disconnects, (edit: I forgot rate of rise heat sensors!) and blah blah; it's like the rules are actively trying to throttle the technology. But using the guise of "safety" to do the throttling.

Last edited:
Reactions: mswlogo and h2ofun
I signed my first contract mid December 2021, had a site visit mid January 2022 and have been stuck in a complexity review since then with no ETA. They've said they've put the retrofit projects on hold due to material shortages.

No idea when/if I will get the call, just refinanced my house to get the cash for the solar roof and powerwalls.

I'm in Florida. My initial order was placed around Thanksgiving. After a few redesigns I confirmed the final design middle of December (22kw & 4PWs). Then I decided I wanted to reshingle my roof prior to panel install so I put the project on hold with Tesla. With only a few roofing options in my small town, and a long wait list, they finished Monday of last week. I reached out to Tesla last Tuesday to tell them I was ready to move forward with the project.

I was expecting several weeks at best and preparing myself for months. Much to my surprise I got a call a few hours later and they asked me if they could install this week!?! Unfortunately I'm waiting for the roof reshingle permit final to be signed off on so I had to decline. I'm now scheduled for end of this month. Not sure if it's the area I'm in or because I started the process back in November, but I was expecting to have to wait much longer!

Last edited:
I'm in Houston and I think they only have 2 installation teams for this region of 4-5M people. If I went for a new installation date I'd get a date at least 4 months out. I think a lot depends on how busy your area is. I'd expect FL would be a busy area.
I'm in Florida. My initial order was placed around Thanksgiving. After a few redesigns I confirmed the final design middle of December (22kw & 4PWs). Then I decided I wanted to reshingle my roof prior to panel install so I put the project on hold with Tesla. With only a few roofing options in my small town, and a long wait list, they finished Monday of last week. I reached out to Tesla last Tuesday to tell them I was ready to move forward with the project.

I was expecting several weeks at best and preparing myself for months. Much to my surprise I got a call a few hours later and they asked me if they could install this week!?! Unfortunately I'm waiting for the roof reshingle permit final to be signed off on so I had to decline. I'm now scheduled for end of this month. Not sure if it's the area I'm in or because I started the process back in November, but I was expecting to have to wait much longer!

Dang. First, the Model X came in and now the solar is scheduled. Does that mean the key to getting your solar installed is buy a Model X? ;)
Our solar roof installation date was November 1 and our new Model Y was delivered silently to our driveway the same day. (The installation didn't actually start until the next day due to rain.)

• Love
Reactions: sorka and jboy210
The best time to order Solar Panels is usually 6 Months ago.

There is a time consuming process to go from order to switching on power.

My process was to get a quote from website. They used Google Earth type system to picture my roof, check the angles and best locations. Needed to avoided tree shaded area and calculate amount of Solar panels I would need. Then the scheduled a technician to come to my house, went up on the roof and examine my tiles. They took pictures of them and even weighed some tiles. He inspected my fuse box and wrote up a design as to where the conduit would go. He noted that in my city the conduit needed to be painted to match the stucco as well as the roofing tiles. That guy wrote up his report and after a bit they got back with me to confirm they could do the job, and at the price they initially quoted.

After this time, Tesla went radio silence with me, but kept in contact with my Utility and City. After they got the approval to go ahead, they sent out an installation tech to then began the process to communicate with our City and Utility to get their required approval. City took a long time for code enforcement to approve the design and give them the go ahead. He rechecked the work order from the first technician, went into the attic to look for possible issues and sent in his report.

Once again radio silence. They had no one tasked to answering my countless questions, to debate best location or layout of tiles. No one to go over in great detail the method they would use to rack the tiles or the options for best roof penetration techniques. During this time they were indeed communicating, but only with those necessary to give permission to proceed with their installation.

Once they got all their ducks in a row, the contacted me to schedule installation. Was to be over a Month waiting in line to get a date certain. They later reached out again to inform me that an earlier installation slot had opened up, and asked if I would like to take that slot. I answered yes, and once again...radio silence.

On the day we agreed, a team of two trucks showed up. They sprang into action and began their work. In less than 4 hours they were complete. Everything was tested and found to be working as designed. All cleaned up and ready to go. The team leader showed me what they had done, gave me a quick tutorial on how to energize the system and informed me that I could not turn it on until after City inspection and receiving their approval and code enforcement sign off. Few days later City inspector showed up and signed off. Still could not turn on until Edison approved adding it to their grid. Once I got that, I was able to turn the knob and energize the system.

On a side note, Tesla inspection had noted some broken tiles on my roof. They brought out a stack of matching tiles, and replaced those, along with a couple that were broken during installation. No charge for this additonal service. They also installed edge matching vanity panels to make the install
look better, painted all the conduit to match both stucco and roofing.

This all took longer than I would have liked, but learned there are lots of moving parts to properly installing a solar system. It all was worthwhile when my most recent bill showed a $-45 bill from Edison. This amount will go up and down every month, determined by how much electricity I use, VS the panels will generate.

When Edison just announced another price increase...I quietly smiled.

As a side note, the independant Solar Companies near me are in a terrible state of flux. Many have not been able to source the panels they choose and supplies are erratic. Pricing is also going up, and often between the time of ordering and installation, their profit has evaporated.

They are having trouble hiring trained and dependable people. Many employees will quit one company for a better offer, just when they are scheduled to do your installation. Some have their own crews, others sub installation and inspections out to others. Invertors and other required supplies are often back ordered or sitting on a boat in the Ocean, waiting to be unloaded.

Some of the bigger companies recently went out of business or have sold their contracts to others to cover cash flow. We have a couple smaller local companies that have good reputations, but tend to be much more expensive than going with Tesla directly. There are also worries if they will still be around for the length of the 25 year warranites.

Reactions: Ramphex
As a side note, the independant Solar Companies near me are in a terrible state of flux. Many have not been able to source the panels they choose and supplies are erratic. Pricing is also going up, and often between the time of ordering and installation, their profit has evaporated.

They are having trouble hiring trained and dependable people. Many employees will quit one company for a better offer, just when they are scheduled to do your installation. Some have their own crews, others sub installation and inspections out to others. Invertors and other required supplies are often back ordered or sitting on a boat in the Ocean, waiting to be unloaded.

Some of the bigger companies recently went out of business or have sold their contracts to others to cover cash flow. We have a couple smaller local companies that have good reputations, but tend to be much more expensive than going with Tesla directly. There are also worries if they will still be around for the length of the 25 year warranites.
That’s probably the major reason I went with Tesla. Several companies with great reviews but mention stuff like “you get to meet with the owner” makes me feel uneasy about long term…. What happens when that “owner” retires or something happens to them? What’s the plan for the company 🤔