Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait until battery day to order a new Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll preface this by saying that with the current state of things, I have no NEED for a Tesla. My family has a Toyota that we share. I’ve had two Model 3’s already (2018 LR RWD, and 2019 P3D-) and have sold each for various reasons (not financial).

I’m currently up in the air about what I’m going to order. Debated about a Model 3 Performance with PUP because of how it drives, but also would be cool to have something different like a Y. I’ve even considered the S or X. Bottom line is that I don’t know for sure, although I really wouldn’t want an X or S until the interior gets a redesign.

I’m leaning towards Model 3 Performance+, but do you think I should hold off on ordering until after battery day in September? What’s the likelihood that a new redesign or something major will be announced then? I know no one truly knows, but just shooting the breeze to help quell my anxiousness.

It’s painful going without a Tesla this long, it’s been about 4 months since I got rid of my last one. I’m so spoiled it’s terrible driving an ICE and I’m just trying to stay patient. I know, the epitome of first world problems with all of the real problems going on.

I highly doubt they will release a new design of the model 3 on battery day. It is more likely that they will be talking about improvements they have or will be making with battery life and manufacturing costs. I’m guessing they will also announce the Plaid Powertrain for the S/X models.

Would I wait? That is a tough question. I’m not sure. These cars are so good already...

As you said, nobody knows. So take this for what it's worth. But my guess is, if they announce an immediate vehicle battery update...it will only apply to S, or maybe S and X. This would largely be due to volume - I don't see how they could switch over all battery production enough to change the 3 and Y immediately. That would also explain why the S and X didn't get the minor battery advancements that the 3 and Y started life with.

Keep in mind that Tesla may well not announce an immediate customer-discernable vehicle battery update at all. They could announce future (3-5 years out) price decreases big enough to make it obviously a mistake to keep developing ICE vehicles, an update to Powerwall batteries, incrementally lower prices already reflected in recent price cuts (including just today for the Y), future manufacturing capacity that they can sell to OEMs, etc. Or maybe they just increased energy density - cost and range won't change, but weight will go down. Or maybe they'll announce a million-mile battery...but it won't be any cheaper or lighter or offer more range, which to me is not a big deal because I believe any current 300-400 mile battery is going to outlive the expected vehicle life already.

I think the chance of getting new battery tech for 3 and Y (which they just started shipping a few months ago) this year is awfully unlikely. But, Tesla is good at keeping secrets and has surprised us before, so I am not placing any bets on my position.

Last edited:
Longer life batteries is great, big whoop. I want more range like 500 to 1000 miles. That would a huge announcement.

Longer life on batteries could enable vehicle to grid charging which would be huge. For example Tesla sells 27 kwH of powerwall batteries (roughly a third of our cars capacity) for $17K. Imagine if you could just plug your car in and have those same features without any significant impact on lifespan in terms of mileage for the car (aka it will fall apart before battery is a limiting factor).

Personally i'd wait since it's only 2 months away and you never know what tricks are up Elon's sleeve for these type of events.

In real life, the practical range of my model 3 is basically 1/2 of my Honda Civic. I would like a 500-600 “rated” range that would give ~400 miles practical range. However, unless they can do something about the weight, it would significantly increase weight and hurt efficiency

I’m very interested to see how they solve this in the upcoming roadster with 200kWh battery

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
In real life, the practical range of my model 3 is basically 1/2 of my Honda Civic. I would like a 500-600 “rated” range that would give ~400 miles practical range. However, unless they can do something about the weight, it would significantly increase weight and hurt efficiency

I’m very interested to see how they solve this in the upcoming roadster with 200kWh battery

The rumor is they are going to announce 300wh/kg batteries which is 20% better than current. that's not going to get you to 600 but it would get you pretty close to 400 on the 3 and 500 on the S at the same weight.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
All I want to hear about is how they are stuffing more electrons into a model 3, for more hrspwrs.
Then I think you will be disappointed on battery day. I suspect battery day will focus more on the larger picture and general battery chemistry information and less on specifics like you're looking for.
I would wait if I were you and in the meantime if you can afford too purchase some stock.

Then I think you will be disappointed on battery day. I suspect battery day will focus more on the larger picture and general battery chemistry information and less on specifics like you're looking for.
I would wait if I were you and in the meantime if you can afford too purchase some stock.

Then someone at Tesla needs to figure out how to glue two packs together and bolt it on the model 3.

I think Battery Day is all about Vehicle to Grid power, and the massive effect that will have on solar (easy to forget that's a big part of Tesla). Buy the car you want now, YOLO!
Makes sense. The Y price drop is tempting. But as the other poster noted, two months isn’t a very long time to wait. I might just put down the $100 and ask to wait until November to be matched.

Tesla always said that V2G does not make any sense. Smart charging (i.e. taking advantage of lower cost of electricity at any given moment) - possibly. But not V2G.

Ok but why not? Don't believe something just because someone says it without understanding the logic behind it - if they have a good reason then sure, but typically the argument against V2G is that consumers want to prioritize long battery life for vehicle usage and not "waste" it on storage and home use. That logic applies when a battery lasts for a few hundred thousand miles or so, but with the recent 3-4x rumored improvement in lifespan things could change tremendously.

Jeff Dahn (who works with Tesla) has published papers on single crystal cathodes which could lead to million mile batteries in the last year or so. Of course even with that i'm sure not everyone would want to use their battery on home usage - but it sure makes it a lot more compelling. From a financial perspective you've literally just 3-4x the revenue/savings that the battery pack can give you for roughly the same initial cost (of course time value of money applies, but still a big win).

Dug up an old Elon tweet on this from 2 years ago where he says V2G "may be worth revisiting"