TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wait... Wait... Don't tell me

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by kgb, Oct 14, 2010.

1. kgb

kgb Member

Not sure how to post audio, but I was just listening to my podcast for October 9th's episode. One of the lightning round questions was about the Tesla Roadster.

I'm paraphrasing, but:
    Q: Tesla is now selling electric cars across the country, but the only problem is that when they stop working <blank>.
    A: You have to pay to fly a mechanic from California to fix it.

Not exactly correct.

2. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

Grrr ...You have to call a local number and a happy chap in a Tesla Van comes and makes it all good.

3. kgb

kgb Member

#3 kgb, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
    The show can be heard here: Wait... Wait...

The question to which I refer is towards the end in the speed round.

To set the record straight, we can contact the show. I just did... for the record, I was very polite about it.

4. tomsax

tomsax Member

It's not exactly correct, but it's pretty close. If you live outside of the handful of metro areas, you have to pay $1/mile, roundtrip, for Tesla service to travel to your location. It's been a source of irritation for owners who got cars with factory defects that are very expensive to get fixed because of the travel cost.

At least I'm assuming they still charge this fee. Has anyone paid the Tesla Ranger fee recently?

Still, I'm surprised WWDTM didn't have something better to mock. How about the cost of Ferrari maintenance for an owner 500 miles from the nearest Ferrari dealer?

5. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

It's my understanding that things covered under warranty don't incur travel charges. At least, that's what I was told by my sales rep.

6. tomsax

tomsax Member

That was definitely not the case when that policy was first announced. If your car had a warranty issue and you lived outside of the official service areas, you had to either pay the Tesla Ranger fee or pay to ship your car to the nearest service location and back.

If that's a factor in your purchase decision, be sure to get a statement in writing.

7. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

Tesla has visited me in Scotland 500 miles from the nearest Store (London) for quite small warranty issues. This was at no charge to me. I would be very surprised if this changes.

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Tesla is doing the recall fix on my car on Wednesday, and will also de-fog my headlamp at the same time. 400km from store and they didn't ask for money.

They're also talking about doing a loop around several cities for the annual service, so that multiple owners can share the cost of the round trip.

9. tdevince

tdevince Member

Now that's a good idea. I'm 430 miles from the nearest service center.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I asked the service tech about that, and he threw cold water on it. The $1/mile price doesn't really cover the costs. I expect they will want to benefit from any such savings.