TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wait, wait wait....BYD wha??

Discussion in 'Future Cars' started by Erleichda, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Erleichda

Erleichda Member

So...BYD has the E6 in the USA NOW for fleets, and built itself on fleet/bus instead of luxury like Tesla. (and their bus can go 750 miles...) And it's battery matches specs in 2016 of pano/Tesla. And prices/range about to collide in 2017. And Warren Buffet...Buffet is their recent big investor. He of Elon battles in NV energy fame?? And now Samsung is aligning with BYD, and building a gigafactory?? And their stock has been like 6 bucks??

This deserves front page news

EDIT: Moved to non-tesla EV Forum. Can't find how to delete!

2. BaileyDog12

BaileyDog12 Member

Does anyone here actively keep on top of the Chinese market competitors? We'll all attuned to MBZ and BMW etc but I haven' seen much coverage towards Chinese competitors like BYD and WM Motors and its progeny.

3. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

As far as I can tell from reading online, BYD cars are mediocre, but their buses seem to be better.

4. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

5. Alketi

Alketi Member

BYD is massively ramping their battery manufacturing. I believe they're 3rd in the world right now, and have their own gigafactories either planned or under construction.

I think the reality is that in 10 years, the low-end cars will likely be Chinese. These will be the $20K 200 mile EVs. And, that other automakers will likely be using Chinese batteries in their own efforts.

It makes sense why Tesla (via the Master Plan part 2) is choosing to NOT play in the low-end.

• Like x 1
  6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Low end is the Tesla Minibus.

Any company that believes that autonomous vehicles will happen soon should only be going after the low end in ride-sharing systems. Autonomous vehicles would change transportation fundamentally, by allowing doorstep-to-doorstep travel in hired vehicles at a lower cost, removing one of the key drivers for ownership. In doing so, it would destroy the low-end market.

Uber's already trialing ride sharing the uses routing algorithms. Now imagine what a fleet of autonomous vehicles would do for ride-sharing: you make a trip from a city to a rural area; your journey starts along a highway along with other people, and the vehicle drops you off apparently in the middle of nowhere, where a local autocab is waiting for you.

• Like x 1
  7. Alketi

Alketi Member

It remains to be seen how much time a door-to-door Minibus adds to someones travels, but I imagine the Minibus will likely be a more city-centric model, not for the suburbs. There'll still be a market for $20-25K cars for people want the freedom to occasionally travel longer distances and/or on their own timeframe without any wait.

8. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

[​IMG]
    Blade Runner – MetroKab

[​IMG]
    Blade Runner – Another Cab

[​IMG]
    Blade Runner – Syd Mead Design 1

[​IMG]
    Blade Runner – Syd Mead Design 2

[​IMG]
    Total Recall – Johnnycab

[​IMG]
    Robocab...?

[​IMG]
    Back to the Future – DS Luxor Cab

[​IMG]
    Back to the Future – NYC Taxi

[​IMG]
    The Fifth Element – B90 Cab

[​IMG]
    Pulp Fiction – Boxer Cab

[​IMG]
    Taxi Driver – Just Because

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  9. Petra

Petra Member

BYD builds busses out in the Lancaster/Palmdale area of CA--I've seen their busses driving around being tested. Only seen a couple E6s around town with, as I recall, manufacturer's plates.

• Like x 1
  10. david_42

david_42 Member

There are three aspects of the e6 that I find appealing: first, it's basically a hatchback, I have zero interest in a sedan; second, BYD hasn't crammed all of the controls into a touch screen; finally, no gimmick doors. It's difficult to believe the falcon doors won't be a continuing source of both production and maintenance problems.

On the downside, it's underpowered and the Chinese have a history of not delivering what they say they can.

11. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

And for those interested, the e6 has vehicle-to-grid capability.