Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No garage door opener?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just want to clear this up. I paid $55,000 for a 2020 premium interior model 3 lr awd and it comes with no universal home link? I have to pay $300 to have one installed??

Your first mistake was buying the AWD, when you could have had a Stealth. It has the power to bust right through that garage door. ;) And it is only $2k more.

Your first mistake was buying the AWD, when you could have had a Stealth. It has the power to bust right through that garage door. ;) And it is only $2k more.
Baby on the way. Wife said, “you don’t need to be going fast for $5000 more.” Now we don’t even have a home link transmitter!!

Last edited:
One of the most ridiculous, nonsensical changes they've made to the car.
The car is super fun to drive but the bugs are driving me nuts. It’s 3 days old and I just found out all these creature comforts like garage door opener are gone, or being able to do things quickly without touching 5 different screens. Also, autopilot seems to be really good at hitting potholes.

also, opened my app and my vin supposedly isn’t linked to my car anymore, but everything works still...

One of the most ridiculous, nonsensical changes they've made to the car.

Agreed, of all the things they took away, I think this one is the most annoying b/c all new luxury cars come with Homelink standard now. I don't care about the frunk hooks or mat, or leds in the door pockets as they are marginally useful. But who the heck doesn't use a garage door opener these days?!?!?!

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
Everybody who I have shown my car too (more than 10 people) can’t believe that I have to use a garage door remote to open my garage. Some even thought that I was pranking them! And laughed when I said I was serious! It’s ridiculous that a car this expensive (> $60k) does not include it! It’s not even about the $300 either. If it was a $300 OTA update I would do it, but you have to bring it into the service center for them to install it and I don’t have time for that.

I agree, at least make it an option when you build like as an add on. Still disappointing compared to earlier model 3s. I love my homelink. My friends with their top of the line Lexus and Cadillacs are amazed how well it works with GPS based coordinates. Sometimes it’s the little things in life (car) that put smile on my face. I think $300 is expensive as after add on but worth it.

I also use homelink when I leave my house without my keys, I can open and close garage with Tesla app using homelink button Useful for when going jogging, etc.

Just want to clear this up. I paid $55,000 for a 2020 premium interior model 3 lr awd and it comes with no universal home link? I have to pay $300 to have one installed??

Yeah I was shocked when I found out they dropped this .. I got my M3 before they dropped it, and it works far better than any other Homelink I've had. This is like the Incredible Grocery Shrink Ray .. taking things out and hoping no-one will notice. NOT good.

• Funny
Reactions: Dre78
Remote in my arm rest. I only open the garage when I'm home. Not a big deal. Really don't care. Always opened my garage with a remote so it's no different from what I've always done

Not worth $300 to me to to press a digital button on the screen to open my garage

Yes, should have been standard with the tech this car has, but whateverrrrrrrrrrrrr

You don't press a button onscreen. The car opens it automatically when you approach, based on gps.

You don't press a button onscreen. The car opens it automatically when you approach, based on gps.
And of course when you leave. I always wondered how much this really costs and why it wasn’t installed and activated by OTA for those that wanted it. Does it really cost that much that a visit is worth it with all the overhead? Seems insane.

Reactions: New_Old_Stock
I have to pay $300 to have one installed??

Yes you do and the reason is patents.

Tesla's already has RF components build in as they are connected vehicles. The only thing they would need to achieve Homelink like functionality, is a little bit of programming.

But if they did that, Tesla would have to pay a license fee for every Tesla build.

When the patent expires in about 8 years, expect to see an OTA deliver it.

Yes you do and the reason is patents.

Tesla's already has RF components build in as they are connected vehicles. The only thing they would need to achieve Homelink like functionality, is a little bit of programming.

But if they did that, Tesla would have to pay a license fee for every Tesla build.

When the patent expires in about 8 years, expect to see an OTA deliver it.

Great thought, but not likely. They physically leave the RF transmitter out now; that’s what gets installed with the $300 upgrade kit.

now, once Gentex is done squeezing blood out of the Homelink turnip, I agree - it could become an OTA application. But for now, due to licensing costs, that’s why Tesla leaves the prepackaged Gentex module out. No way would Gentex let them only pay for activated modules .....

Yes, that was an unfortunate deletion. Just attach your remote to the back of the lower left corner of the display. I used those 3M tape connectors used for electronic toll systems (EZ Pass, etc.) so I can easily remove and reattach it to change batteries. Works perfectly, is out of site, and cost just a few bucks.

Is there a way to set the Homelink to auto open by proximity? Wife's RWD has homelink, my P3 does not, but I hate the multi-taps to get to the opener. My remote is clunky, but will find a clip to put it on my visor and live with it. For auto-open, may consider the module. . .