Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waited for years...finally clicked Buy...now what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021 Model S LR+
Solid Black, Black Interior, 19"
Delivery Estimate: December 14 to 31
Waiting on VIN...

Advice on things to do?
Accessories to buy?
Delivery Checklist?

I test drove in 2018.
Wanted a new 75D but looked seriously at used/CPO.
The 75D I wanted, with the $7500 Credit, was still more expensive than the LR+ I just bought.

Attachments

• MyTeslaDesign_07-02-2018.pdf
    219.9 KB · Views: 80
Get a memory stick for your Sentry. There are a lot of options, from solid memory drives, to thumb drives, to SD cards. I, personally, chose an SD card since my research into the topic indicated that they corrupt the least, and aren't effected by heat as much. YMMV.

Also, figure out if you want to install a separate charger at your home, if you have that ability to get dedicated charging. It could just be a new 240v plug, a "Dryer Buddy" that helps regulate between a dryer and the car's charger, or one of the Tesla wall chargers. Each have a different price option and desirability.

Check list: Tesla Delivery Checklist

And general swag to show off, if inclined.

Thank you for the delivery checklist - very thorough!
And for the Sentry storage info!
*SanDisk 256GB microSD Endurance card and USB 3.0 microSD reader are like $60 total on Amazon.

We have a Siemens Level 2 charger.
Was installed in 2018 when we got solar and first thought about buying an EV.
On sale at Costco, had open spots in my panel, and my solar installer was happy to wire it up.
Alternative Fuel Tax Credit lowered the total price by 30%.
Use it to charge friends and families EVs.
I will likely buy another J1772 Tesla adapter so I don't get caught out...$95

I kind of recall reading that Sentry wasn't "fully-featured" in the Model S - is that true?
Are the Model S LEDs still really dim and I should plan to upgrade with Abstract Ocean?
What about a trunk organizer - is there a good one?
What have you learned as an owner that you wish you knew earlier?

Thanks everyone.

I kind of recall reading that Sentry wasn't "fully-featured" in the Model S - is that true?
Are the Model S LEDs still really dim and I should plan to upgrade with Abstract Ocean?
What have you learned as an owner that you wish you knew earlier?

I've not heard about that with Sentry mode. It's either there or not there, depending on the year of the vehicle. If you're buying new, it's as fully functional as any.

I'd wait to have the car before buying any upgrades, to see if you actually want to spend the cash on them. You may prefer the wide open space of the trunk as is, or may want a different set up than what you get now, or the headlights are good enough as is, or you want to blind the people coming the other way--YMMV. ;)

Good things to think about when getting a new car is whether you're going to A) wrap it, B) Ceramic it, C) protection film, or D) a combo of those above. All of those are best installed new, since you don't have any current chips or dings (hopefully).

It's rather silly, but I worked off a j1772 Siemens for a year or so as well. I finally bought a Tesla wall connector. The primary reason? Okay was to get faster charging. (my car has dual chargers and can charge at 19 KW) but also to get the button to push that opens the charge port door. I was constantly having to jump back into the car to push the open the charge port door or pull out my key fob and hold the back button for the 2 seconds. I suppose it's silly, but I really do like having that button!

And, by the way, welcome!

It's rather silly, but I worked off a j1772 Siemens for a year or so as well. I finally bought a Tesla wall connector. The primary reason? Okay was to get faster charging. (my car has dual chargers and can charge at 19 KW) but also to get the button to push that opens the charge port door. I was constantly having to jump back into the car to push the open the charge port door or pull out my key fob and hold the back button for the 2 seconds. I suppose it's silly, but I really do like having that button!

I think you can just push the charge port flap when the car is unlocked. Or, press and hold the trunk button on the fob.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I just spent a week driving a 2017 Model S 75 and didn't think the LEDs were dim at all. I don't see why you'd choose to upgrade them.

or the headlights are good enough as is, or you want to blind the people coming the other way--YMMV. ;)

Sorry - I was not referring to the headlights. Lots of Teslas around here and the headlights are plenty bright!
Was referring to the interior LEDs - like footwells, trunk, etc.
Are those still dim and should be upgraded?
I know I should wait till I get the car and make up my own mind, but if it's a given then why wait?

I've not heard about that with Sentry mode. It's either there or not there, depending on the year of the vehicle. If you're buying new, it's as fully functional as any.

Good deal, thank you for confirming!
Sounded odd to me that a new car would have a disabled feature, but I believe there are differences between the 3 and S.

whether you're going to A) wrap it, B) Ceramic it, C) protection film, or D) a combo of those

Yeah...I thought about getting basic white and saving the paint money for a wrap, but I am happy with black paint.
Protection on the front sounds like a good idea, but whether film or ceramic idk.
Have heard lots both ways...personal preference I suppose.

I really want to make those shiny silver wheels darker - grey or black.
I guess that means powder coating or or dipping?
Wish Tesla offered the option to order a new car with these Gunmetal Grey Slipstreams they are selling as an aftermarket second set.

And I live in San Diego so tinting seems wise as well.
But that's about it...call me BASIC.

Thank you! I am excited to finally join the owners.
My current ride is a 1992 Toyota Pickup.
She has been great to me, despite my dalliances with others over the years, but this Tesla will be amazingly different.
And no, I am not selling my truck!

I am in the same boat as you! Waited years saving pennies and finally ordered 15 Oct. East delivery 18 Nov - 19 Dec. Still no VIN. Cant wait!

I have been looking at all of the same things as you I think. I think I am going to try and get a full PPF. Pricey but I think it might be worth it. Here are a few things I am planning to get once I have a VIN.

All weather mats
Wheel locks
a spare kit from Modern Spare (I know, Tesla roadside but I'd rather just have it then wait the hours I have heard some people waiting)
Door handle vinyls
FOB cover
Wireless phone charger
Sunshade
NEMA adapters
Thinking about the CHAdeMO because I am in Hawaii and there is no Supercharger and CHAdeMO is the fastest here. I also don't have at home charging. Only a few more months on island though.

For Sentry I keep looking for something similar to the Jeda USB hub that hides the USB stick for Sentry. Sadly Jeda only makes it for the Model 3. I just want something to hide it because as Sentry becomes more well known, all someone has to do if they decide to break in is take the stick. and even if they don't know about sentry, they might just take it anyway.

I am in the same boat as you! Waited years saving pennies and finally ordered 15 Oct. East delivery 18 Nov - 19 Dec. Still no VIN. Cant wait!

I have been looking at all of the same things as you I think. I think I am going to try and get a full PPF. Pricey but I think it might be worth it. Here are a few things I am planning to get once I have a VIN.

All weather mats
Wheel locks
a spare kit from Modern Spare (I know, Tesla roadside but I'd rather just have it then wait the hours I have heard some people waiting)
Door handle vinyls
FOB cover
Wireless phone charger
Sunshade
NEMA adapters
Thinking about the CHAdeMO because I am in Hawaii and there is no Supercharger and CHAdeMO is the fastest here. I also don't have at home charging. Only a few more months on island though.

For Sentry I keep looking for something similar to the Jeda USB hub that hides the USB stick for Sentry. Sadly Jeda only makes it for the Model 3. I just want something to hide it because as Sentry becomes more well known, all someone has to do if they decide to break in is take the stick. and even if they don't know about sentry, they might just take it anyway.

Doesn’t the car come standard with wireless phone charging in the center console?

Do yourself a favor. Get up to speed with simple soldering. Then buy a roll of non-waterproof LED strips on Amazon. Then bump each of the S's puddle lights up from 1 LED to 3 or 4 LEDs yourself. There's a TMC thread on it, (somewhere) and I think a youtube video on it. Simple trick.

Open 1 with small screwdriver.
Pop the old LED off with the blade or a knife.
Cut a row off the strip, where the contacts are easy to solder to.
Test to make sure you have the right polarity. The solder.

One roll is about $16. And you can do two-three cars.
Two new high intensity LEDs will pay for the roll. And you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself. White and reds

trunk organizer? Really a waste of money. Get a couple of insulated bags and keep them in the footwell.

Last edited:
2021 Model S LR+
Solid Black, Black Interior, 19"
Delivery Estimate: December 14 to 31
Waiting on VIN...

Advice on things to do?
Accessories to buy?
Delivery Checklist?

I test drove in 2018.
Wanted a new 75D but looked seriously at used/CPO.
The 75D I wanted, with the $7500 Credit, was still more expensive than the LR+ I just bought.

Congrats on your purchase!

Suggestions/Comments after buying nine MS's since 2013:

A. San Diego/SoCal . . . but you ordered a black car? Have you ever owned a black car? Tesla very wisely stopped making that the standard color, but not soon enough: black shows every scratch, spec of dirt, and paint blemish. Bigger issue: absorbs heat better than any other color (try touching a black car in summer to get a better appreciation for this) which increases thermal loading and decreases range and efficiency. Seriously, this is the worst color combo; I'd consider changing your order ASAP, before it's too late.

B. Regardless of exterior color choice, I would apply PPF to: front bumper, hood, front fenders, mirrors, and A-pillars to top of C-pillars. Will pay dividends in the years ahead as paint is easily chipped and damaged by road debris (on any car, not just Teslas).

C. LED interior lighting upgrade is nice as I find the stock LED's remarkably weak, borderline worthless. Some are hard to replace so consider at least the hatch area. (The two there are easy; the third one is very hard to get out of the liftgate.)

Do yourself a favor. Get up to speed with simple soldering. Then buy a roll of non-waterproof LED strips on Amazon. Then bump each of the S's puddle lights up from 1 LED to 3 or 4 LEDs yourself. There's a TMC thread on it, (somewhere) and I think a youtube video on it. Simple trick.
oh yeah, i like this idea...thanks!
have made myself one of those stickman led outfits using the waterproof color changing strips and the clip connectors so i think this is within my skillset.

this looks like maybe how to do it for the trunk; i figure I can adjust for the puddles or replace those bulbs:

A. San Diego/SoCal . . . but you ordered a black car? Have you ever owned a black car?
yup. i sure did. and i sure have.
almost got a white one, which would full wrap to matte black.
scandalous! :)
but i like the way black cars look. :D
stays in covered garages at work and home.
thanks for the ideas on the PPF
planning on front bumper, headlights, fog, mirrors, hood, fenders, trunk strip and front doors and under moulding.
gonna wait and see on the LED bulbs but i plan to do the trunk for sure.
maybe color changing just bc why not i got extra ones and an unused remote from other projects.

Doesn’t the car come standard with wireless phone charging in the center console?
99% sure it does, but have sent an email to the Advisor, just to confirm.

I have been looking at all of the same things as you I think. I think I am going to try and get a full PPF. Pricey but I think it might be worth it.
if you don't mind satisfying my curiosity, please, how much is a full PPF in Hawaii?

probably a very smart choice for hawaii.
i got a 12v pump that has the sealant in-line, but in a separate container so it can be refilled and used again.
but hopefully i would never use it.

oh yeah, i like this idea...thanks!
have made myself one of those stickman led outfits using the waterproof color changing strips and the clip connectors so i think this is within my skillset.

this looks like maybe how to do it for the trunk; i figure I can adjust for the puddles or replace those bulbs:

gonna wait and see on the LED bulbs but i plan to do the trunk for sure.
maybe color changing just bc why not i got extra ones and an unused remote from other projects.

99% sure it does, but have sent an email to the Advisor, just to confirm.
if you don't mind satisfying my curiosity, please, how much is a full PPF in Hawaii?

probably a very smart choice for hawaii.

@raeB etaN, I encourage you to look at some of the mods here. Modifications – TeslaTap
And this is mine. Lights – How to Improve Trunk Lighting 2 – TeslaTap
I did it before I figured we could update our LEDs ourselves. I am a nut for making stuff look factory, hence the OEM connectors. But you could save some headache doing other pigtails.

As for PFF. Can't tell you about PFF in Hawaii. Not because its a secret, but didn't do it. My first S, had PPF kit on the front. Looked okay, and save the hood from a big rock once. Came with the car from factory. Second S, I had Xcel installed on hood alone. Cost? $950 and that was 7 years ago, so price is higher.

I am sure PPF is worthwhile everywhere, not just Hawaii. But I currently believe the risk is worth more than the $$ to do it.

Open 1 with small screwdriver.
Pop the old LED off with the blade or a knife.
Cut a row off the strip, where the contacts are easy to solder to.
Test to make sure you have the right polarity. The solder.

One roll is about $16. And you can do two-three cars.
Two new high intensity LEDs will pay for the roll. And you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself. White and reds

trunk organizer? Really a waste of money. Get a couple of insulated bags and keep them in the footwell.
Really interested in the puddle light mod. Cant find a write up on it. Can you help with a link?

It was under Model S on TMC. Its been years since I read it.
Here's where I posted the individual parts to make a cable.
New use in the trunk for Abstract Ocean’s bright LED trunk/puddle lights
And in case you didn't already know about these.
I didn't save the link to the original TMC thread. I might invest some time later though looking through the existing threads here for it.
Here's a few pictures that I took when I was doing mine. Might be as helpful as the thread.
Backside 1.jpg

You can do 4 LEDs per, but its a tight fit to get them put back together. I did a few and they didn't really look better than 3.
LED Strips.jpg

Here's where, I made a template and cut holes in my partial shelf bracket and installed the OEM lights to improve trunk light.
You can tap power from the puddle lights at the corner of the trunk. If you don't have those, the video should show you how to find the power and add lights there too.

Please remember. Back when we were doing this stuff, no one was making custom light for the S. Even Pete at AO was just starting to expand his products outside fob cases. As a matter of fact, I was one of the first to encourage him to look into a China source for making a higher performance puddle light. He was unsure there would be a market for them.

I'll look for that thread. But anyone could also.

Reactions: 1windy