Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting 2 months for Tesla 3 back window, no end in sight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

two months ago I got a stress crack in my Tesla 3 back window. Tesla service reviewed the pictures and let me know that it's most likely a warranty replacement, and set up a service appt. However, this appointment has been rescheduled multiple times; the latest was supposed to be tomorrow, 2 months to the day after I first scheduled repair. I got a service reminder, and only after I asked back if they actually have the part did they check and got back that it needs to be rescheduled - again.
There is no forecast when this window will ever come in, requests for escalation have been left unanswered. This is even more frustrating, knowing that a few miles down the road in Fremont there are Tesla 3s just like mine built every day using the same back window that I'm waiting for.

Now for my questions:
- Does anyone else wait for a Tesla back window, any idea why there is such a long wait?
- Does Tesla service de-prioritize warranty repair?
- Is this a typical Tesla service experience? Not just the extreme wait times but also the lack of coordination and indifference to customer issues. Since I got my Tesla 3, I have told everyone I meet how great this car is. I still say that, but with a big caveat on the service they can expect.

Thanks,Alex

I had to wait about 1.5 months back in 2019 (Same issue as yours - Rear glass stress fracture), and had the same experience. Week after week of them not knowing when the part would be available (via app/text message communications with Tesla service).

I got tired of waiting after the crack grew clear from one side to the other, and I dropped into the local service center to have a face to face chat with them to at least get some timelines. They "suddenly" had an appointment available a day or two later to replace the glass.

Hi,

two months ago I got a stress crack in my Tesla 3 back window. Tesla service reviewed the pictures and let me know that it's most likely a warranty replacement, and set up a service appt. However, this appointment has been rescheduled multiple times; the latest was supposed to be tomorrow, 2 months to the day after I first scheduled repair. I got a service reminder, and only after I asked back if they actually have the part did they check and got back that it needs to be rescheduled - again.
There is no forecast when this window will ever come in, requests for escalation have been left unanswered. This is even more frustrating, knowing that a few miles down the road in Fremont there are Tesla 3s just like mine built every day using the same back window that I'm waiting for.

Now for my questions:
- Does anyone else wait for a Tesla back window, any idea why there is such a long wait?
- Is this a typical Tesla service experience? Not just the extreme wait times but also the lack of coordination and indifference to customer issues. Since I got my Tesla 3, I have told everyone I meet how great this car is. I still say that, but with a big caveat on the service they can expect.

Thanks,Alex
Way back in January there was a scratch on my back glass from factory/delivery (one of heating wires scratched from inside and not working). It took a bit longer than a month for the SC to receive it, even though they were very near the factory. I don't think proximity with factory really matters much, Tesla obviously will prioritize parts for production first (since that makes them money), then probably emergency repairs next (for example if the rear glass is broken completely or almost fully broken), while a warranty repair for stress crack probably is very low on the priority queue.

Note that when parts are ordered, they send emails about it. There is a "Parts Ordered for Your Service Visit" email, then there is a "Parts Update for Your Service Visit" email every week with updates (even if there is no ETA yet, it will say "Ship Date: Pending"). If you have not received such emails, I would check with your SC (or go through the Chat support) to make sure they ordered it already in the first place.

Hi,

Now for my questions:

Thanks,Alex
I picked up my first Model 3 back in December 2020. I noticed about a month later that the back defroster wasn't working. I'm up in Canada. They diagnosed it remotely and confirmed the fault in person at my service appointment. It arrived and was installed within a week. They did mention they sometimes have supply issues. I might have just been lucky where my issue was timed with a parts delivery. I think 2 months is unacceptable but you've obviously spoken to everyone there. Good luck.

I've been repeatedly assured that elon has a full handle on his companies and he is doing a bang-up job keeping parts on-hand.

people here say that. a lot. so it has to be true. right?

Less people say that here, than people who really enjoy talking about teslas shortcomings (of which there are many), so what you choose to believe is up to your individual experience.... and yes I realize I am making a serious response to a joke post.

I do get annoyed when parts are lagging behind. there's no excuse for that. none. tesla has been around for more than 10 years. in that time, they have had ample opportunity to tune their parts vendors and either standardize more (heaven forbid! every damned version of a car needs its OWN SPECIAL PLASTIC MOLDED PART). reuse? nah. makes too much sense.

rockets and tunnels and boring things - but car parts - well, we just dont care enough about the supply chain to get on this problem and solve it.

note, this was a big problem LONG before the pandemic.

I cut elon zero slack; he likes to take credit all the time, but along with that comes the job of taking the heat when parts are not there and people have to park their expensive cars for extended periods of time, on parts-avail.

unacceptable.

but we return you now to the fanboy show, already in progress....

I had to wait about 1.5 months back in 2019 (Same issue as yours - Rear glass stress fracture), and had the same experience. Week after week of them not knowing when the part would be available (via app/text message communications with Tesla service).

I got tired of waiting after the crack grew clear from one side to the other, and I dropped into the local service center to have a face to face chat with them to at least get some timelines. They "suddenly" had an appointment available a day or two later to replace the glass.
which works if you live near an SC... but either way it's unacceptable to have such a service for a $40k+ vehicle or any car for that matter

Reactions: m a x i m u s
If it's just a crack and the window itself remains mostly usable and isn't leaking (or flying off the car)... you're probably best just waiting until the end of the quarter. Elon's teams have production targets, so they are making sure they don't accidentally miss a beat by sending spare parts to some service center somewhere. Eventually they'll take a breather and some inventory will find its way to your SC.

If your entire rear glass is like messed up I can see why you'd be more upset about this.

You can also write your local congressmember and reinforce the notion that having a manufacturer owned service network is not in the best interest of the customer. Since companies like Tesla that skirt state merchant laws have an incentive to prioritize new car production and kick service issues down the road thus harming California citizens. Such behavior of stringing a helpless consumer along with false promises would not be tolerated if Tesla had an independent service network that had their own SLAs for parts availability and inventory.

You got me worried about my upcoming service visit. I have a list of warranty fixes requested and when I added a hazy windshield to the list, they pushed my appt by a month, citing parts availability. It'll be coming on two months when the appt arrives (if it arrives.)

Needed 3 pieces of glass repaired on my new M3P. They tried to reschedule my apt but I just showed up and dropped off my car for when I originally scheduled the apt. They took 7 days to install the new windshield, driver and passenger glass. They did not seem like they wanted to replace it until I demanded the manager of the SC. Not a great experience overall.

Reactions: m a x i m u s
Needed 3 pieces of glass repaired on my new M3P. They tried to reschedule my apt but I just showed up and dropped off my car for when I originally scheduled the apt. They took 7 days to install the new windshield, driver and passenger glass. They did not seem like they wanted to replace it until I demanded the manager of the SC. Not a great experience overall.

Now that your side glass has been replaced, are you still seeing issues? A passenger in my car has also noted that the passenger side front glass on my M3P seems distorted and causes a bit of nausea. I'm having trouble seeing it directly myself, but after the other issues I've had, I believe them.

Now that your side glass has been replaced, are you still seeing issues? A passenger in my car has also noted that the passenger side front glass on my M3P seems distorted and causes a bit of nausea. I'm having trouble seeing it directly myself, but after the other issues I've had, I believe them.
Tesla glass is pretty poor quality. I've had my front windshield replaced because of waviness, the new one has similar amounts of waviness. In the SC lot, ALL of them had waviness. Now, it's not to the point of nauseousness when driving, but I gave up trying to get them to replace it again.